Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

On 4/5/2024 at 1:21 AM, jofos said:

Arm strength, accuracy, awareness, football IQ, pocket presence, mobility, leadership, work ethic, unselfishness, ability to read a defense, being willing to take what is there without forcing things, and just the ability to play QB. 

Why didn’t they use him in crunch time then? Maybe they didn’t need to, I suppose. But don’t you think that’s a red flag? He did not drive that team, and he’s the QB

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why didn’t they use him in crunch time then? Maybe they didn’t need to, I suppose. But don’t you think that’s a red flag? He did not drive that team, and he’s the QB

When did they have crunch time? The only game they trailed in the 4th quarter was the Alabama game and they used him. On the drive to tie the game with just over 4 minutes left McCarthy had 6 yards passing including a TD and a 16 yard run. It was technically supposed to be a 75-yard drive but ended as an 84-yard drive because of a block in the back penalty. 

Feel like there’s usually two views on McCarthy as far as “big games”/crunch time/help from his team, and they’re both on the more extreme ends. It’s either “it’s not his fault his team was good” or “he wasn’t the engine of that championship”. 

I mean, no, he wasn’t asked to carry the load quite as much as someone like Caleb. I don’t think that necessarily means he can’t, just that he didn’t have to, and thus we haven’t seen it. So I think it’s fair to question whether that’ll be something he can do (because he hardly showed it, not his fault), but also kind of unfair to just assume he can’t because Michigan didn’t want to throw it 50 times a game. It’s kinda how you’d look at Micah Parsons as a prospect. No one really thought of him as a true pass rusher, because that wasn’t something he was asked to do at PSU. 

I go back and forth with McCarthy, but overall am more skeptical than excited about him. 

19 hours ago, jofos said:

When did they have crunch time? The only game they trailed in the 4th quarter was the Alabama game and they used him. On the drive to tie the game with just over 4 minutes left McCarthy had 6 yards passing including a TD and a 16 yard run. It was technically supposed to be a 75-yard drive but ended as an 84-yard drive because of a block in the back penalty. 

10 passes for 140 yards in the championship game…they won games where he completed 7 and 8 passes respectively. 

It’s just a massive red flag. Again, not that he can’t do it, but you’d want your franchise QB being the centre piece of his college team’s offense, wouldn’t you?

“There isn’t quite enough to love in regards to his deep ball passing ad lack of usage to stick him high up in the draft, but teams are going to see a quarterback that can ultimately play in the league. McCarthy is a perfect quarterback akin to Andy Dalton who can come in and win you some games as well as develop within the program, but is not someone who is going to be a franchise quarterback in the short term.” - this was from draft wire, and whilst I disagree with their projection (day 2 pick), I sort of agree with the sentiment there. Just isn’t enough for a top 3 pick. And definitely not the best QB in this draft

10 hours ago, Soko said:

Feel like there’s usually two views on McCarthy as far as “big games”/crunch time/help from his team, and they’re both on the more extreme ends. It’s either “it’s not his fault his team was good” or “he wasn’t the engine of that championship”. 

I mean, no, he wasn’t asked to carry the load quite as much as someone like Caleb. I don’t think that necessarily means he can’t, just that he didn’t have to, and thus we haven’t seen it. So I think it’s fair to question whether that’ll be something he can do (because he hardly showed it, not his fault), but also kind of unfair to just assume he can’t because Michigan didn’t want to throw it 50 times a game. It’s kinda how you’d look at Micah Parsons as a prospect. No one really thought of him as a true pass rusher, because that wasn’t something he was asked to do at PSU. 

I go back and forth with McCarthy, but overall am more skeptical than excited about him. 

I agree with this completely 

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 6:41 PM, jofos said:

I am really not trying to convince anyone about McCarthy but the whole team around him  thing is really not very accurate. Having the 252 and 325 ranked prospects as your offensive tackles isn't really a big deal. Over the last two seasons Michigan has had 8 prospects ranked in the top 100, McCarthy 23, Wilson 46, Corum 84 are the only three offensive players. 

Throwing at the combine is simply about spinning the ball. No one has questioned McCarthy's arm strength after the combine. And accuracy throwing to guys that you met for the first time a few hours earlier is not really expected. If you want a better example of throwing on air watch the pro days. In the pro days QBs are throwing to guys that they know and have worked with. 

I don't expect the Patriots to draft McCarthy, it's possible they go Daniels or Maye, but what I expect is in two years the Patriots will be draft another QB if they don't draft McCarthy.

JJ McCarthy Pro Day video from Michigan's NFL showcase: ground level video inside the session (youtube.com)

JJ McCarthy All Throws and Runs 2023 Season (youtube.com)

This is my opinion. I don't care where they are ranked. I go by what I see. You bring up Wilson. He a great example, the draft Bucky's have him going in the 3rd , some in the 4th. I have him as a mid 2nd round talent and if the Pats drafted him with a small trade down I would be extremely happy. 

Pro day  IMO has no bearing when I look at a players. They are stage and rehearsed. There's a reason why agent prefer them over the combine.  I like the Combine much more because it put the QB on the spot. it show me "what you got ", put them on the spot without any preparation.   Pro day you have Manziel looking like a star. He could never pull that off at the combine.

Just a side story. When it come to draft rankings. Year Brady was drafted. Pats had 4/5 QB on the roster so I never look at one of them before the draft. No way they are taking a QB was my thought, why bother. Draft day, Pats select Brady, my head shot up. Wow that kid can play. Than I look at the QB drafted before him, my first reaction, boy, the NFL and the draft Bucky know crap.

I was shocked he went in the 6th and the QB's picked before him.  Again it's the eye test (games) for me. Especially for Brady, we all saw the combine picture !!!!  Are you frigging kidding me, Spergon Wynn !!!!!!

Didn't they see Brady game !!!

https://youtu.be/aVIYDr2wsV4 

@jofos screw the draft Bucky's. We do it better on this board, than they do !!!!!

With the 3rd pick the SF take Lance. I peed my pants laughing on that pick, idiots Bucky's. 😁

Added forgot I had the same opinion with Fields. IMO he can't pass to save his life. It was hard to find videos with negatives but game tapes don't lie. Once or twice a game he would be rushed and he panicked. 

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Starting to really sound like McCarthy is going to be the guy.  I personally hate it, certainly don't think he had top 3 talent.  Where are you guys with all of this?

Mac Jones is going to SF , guaranteed my sources tell me !!

Remember, we know as much as they do, if not more.

Gino Smith  is a top 10 pick, 2nd rd !!!

Travon Walker, month before draft, the Bucky's had him as a 2nd RD pick.

With the 1st pick in the draft !!!!!!!  Jags idiots, Hutchinson was projected 1st pick since he entered college. 

Just think of this, some NFL GM/owners have no idea what player to take. They have all the info and they still screw up .

5 hours ago, m haynes said:

With the 1st pick in the draft !!!!!!!  Jags idiots, Hutchinson was projected 1st pick since he entered college. 

Just think of this, some NFL GM/owners have no idea what player to take. They have all the info and they still screw up .

Of course you're right, but I don't think these stories just come out of no where.  Someone, at some level, is feeding this info to guys like Michael Holly.  Maybe it's a distraction, maybe it's to gage the reaction of such a move, but it's not unfounded.

What worries me the most is that they're considering this because it's the "safe" pick.  They know McCarthy doesn't have the same raw talent as Maye or Daniels, but his floor is higher.  I hate the idea that they're falling in love with the high floor of a guy instead of trying to land an elite prospect at #3.

1 hour ago, prob2236 said:

Of course you're right, but I don't think these stories just come out of no where.  Someone, at some level, is feeding this info to guys like Michael Holly.  Maybe it's a distraction, maybe it's to gage the reaction of such a move, but it's not unfounded.

What worries me the most is that they're considering this because it's the "safe" pick.  They know McCarthy doesn't have the same raw talent as Maye or Daniels, but his floor is higher.  I hate the idea that they're falling in love with the high floor of a guy instead of trying to land an elite prospect at #3.

1 hour ago, prob2236 said:

feeding this info to guys like Michael Holly. 

Ya the people feeding Holly are other sports guys across the country . Remember Marcus Mariota. Perry said the Pats were serous interested in him, I have a source. Two day later its national news !!!!! They never contacted him!!!

Teams tell sports guys what they want leaked. Nothing that will give away what they are actuality going to do.

Wait I take it all back, there to many morons running teams !!!!!😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, m haynes said:

Brooks had him as second overall a month before the draft. 

You’re not wrong in that giving more than a grain of salt to 98% of the talking heads is a mistake, though. They’re fed info, sometimes purposely wrong, sometimes maybe true *at the time*, and sometimes just misconstrued.

Like, “I talked to a AFCE scout at the combine, and he said they’ve talked about taking Drake Maye”. Next report will be “Patriots in serious talks about Drake Maye”, meanwhile…yeah, they’ve probably at least talked about lost of the QBs, lol. But people run with that kind of stuff.

I get excited for draft season but the reports and all the over analyzing gets real tired, real quick. 

2 hours ago, prob2236 said:

McCarthy has certainly has more arm talent than Daniels, and when its all said and done I think we will see he has more arm talent than Maye. The only thing that either have right now is Daniels is a better running threat.

On 4/9/2024 at 7:45 PM, prob2236 said:

Starting to really sound like McCarthy is going to be the guy.  I personally hate it, certainly don't think he had top 3 talent.  Where are you guys with all of this?

Read above. How can anyone tell if he’s a top 3 talent or not?

it’s absurd. He sometimes threw the ball fewer than 10 times in a game.

I don’t see him in many big boards’ top 10, to be fair. Even on here the consensus is that he’s way down. He may go top 4, but it’s a helluva gamble. I don’t think you purposely gameplan away from a top QB in 4th quarters in games

Edited by Hunter2_1

10 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Read above. How can anyone tell if he’s a top 3 talent or not?

it’s absurd. He sometimes threw the ball fewer than 10 times in a game.

I don’t see him in many big boards’ top 10, to be fair. Even on here the consensus is that he’s way down. He may go top 4, but it’s a helluva gamble. I don’t think you purposely gameplan away from a top QB in 4th quarters in games

I did watch a lot of McCarthy this year, mainly because I'm a Michigan fan.  He isn't a bad QB I'd be lying if I said he was.  But the biggest games of the year were the ones where he touched the ball the least.  He just feels like a game manager.  Run the ball, toss a hand full of play action passes, don't make the mistake that kills your team.  He reminds me a lot of Brock Purdy.  Is that bad, no, but I wouldn't use the #3 overall pick in the draft to get it.

• Like 1

I try to keep it simple. Can I see the QB playing against NFL caliber defenses.  I haven't seen one thing in his college game that tells me he can play at that level you need to be a top tier QB.

His passing skills are limited based on his college career. IMO he's to big of a risk to take, 3rd in the draft.  The part that's bug me is he has shown everything you want in a QB other than his passing skills. The NFL is all about passing.

I know all QB's are risk however just based on passing skills I see why everyone loves Maye. My problem with Maye is he doesn't have what JJ brings to the table. To many times I have seen tape where Maye panics, which leaves you scratching your head.

Kurt Warner has shown (his vids) his concerns with Maye's game.

When it comes to theses two QB and their risks. I don't see how you don't go with Maye over JJ.

One other thing....  What does JJ do better than Rattler. I'm talking playing the position. History is his big risk.

Do you risk it with JJ at 3 or wait and risk it with Rattler in the 3rd RD.

Forgot,  I also compare QB's by switching teams. How would they play. Would JJ play well at South Carolina. Could he sling it all over the field ?

I just don't see it based on he college career.