2023 Week #14 TNF Steelers 7-5 Host Patriots 2-10

Steeler Hitman

11 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Well, let's do a scale of 1-10. 

I'd give it a 2.

I think we have added talent in a couple of areas (individual talent). But overall I think things have either gotten worse or stayed the same. 

There’s where I’m at. Hence why I think a coach wouldn’t make a meaningful difference. 

• Like 1

I keep my mouth shut most of the time when talent is talked about because I have seen there’s no real point sharing, so I’ll keep it short. 

The overall talent on this team is fine from an NFL roster to roster standpoint. 

We are woefully behind the rest of the league in two of the most impactful positions in the modern league - QB and OC. 

So when people talk about the Steelers having talent…they do! But we don’t have an adult in the room that can assist in maximizing the talent available or the QB who can make up for things not being perfect (which rarely happens in the NFL) 

Could the roster be better. Sure. The totality of the roster is good enough, but not good enough for being bottom 5 at QB or coordinator - and lucky for us, we got both. 

• Like 3

I think it's mostly coaching and bad QB play killing the offense. talent when the defense struggles. I would be all the way out with Mike if the defense was trash too, but I think he still has a eye with defense. They're always outperforming our offense even when they're dealing with massive injuries, while our offense has sucked despite being healthy most of the time. I think he can still hang with the Best when it comes to defense. it's the offensive side he's blind as a bat with. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I keep my mouth shut most of the time when talent is talked about because I have seen there’s no real point sharing, so I’ll keep it short. 

The overall talent on this team is fine from an NFL roster to roster standpoint. 

We are woefully behind the rest of the league in two of the most impactful positions in the modern league - QB and OC. 

So when people talk about the Steelers having talent…they do! But we don’t have an adult in the room that can assist in maximizing the talent available or the QB who can make up for things not being perfect (which rarely happens in the NFL) 

Could the roster be better. Sure. The totality of the roster is good enough, but not good enough for being bottom 5 at QB or coordinator - and lucky for us, we got both. 

Good enough for what though? The NFL? Playoffs? A Super Bowl?

And talent to me is much much more than physical ability. It’s mental talent. It’s game IQ. It’s that part of talent I really think we lack. We have guys with ability but not guys who can be a team. 

I think we have very few guys right now who are that. In fact I can count them in one hand. 

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think it's mostly coaching and bad QB play killing the offense. talent when the defense struggles. I would be all the way out with Mike if the defense was trash too, but I think he still has an eye with defense. They're always outperforming our offense even when they're dealing with massive injuries, while our offense has sucked despite being healthy most of the time. I think he can still hang with the Best when it comes to defense. it's the offensive side he's blind as a bat with. 

TelI you what. The offense side for me is a frustrating future coaching thought process. 

If we get a good young offensive mind for the role and the offense succeeds - he isn’t gonna last because he’ll be an HC before long. Then you run this treadmill of hoping he taught someone good enough. 

Of you go former HC as OC to run it, you likely aren’t getting innovation because that guy is there for a reason. So chances are the offense will remain stagnant. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

Getting a legit OC, QB and center need to be the top priorities this offseason. it's the spine and brain of the offense. they've half-*** that part for far too long.

Ron Swanson: Don’t half *** two things, whole *** one thing. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Good enough for what though? The NFL? Playoffs? A Super Bowl?

Sans QB/OC it's good enough to be a playoff contention team. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

And talent to me is much much more than physical ability. It’s mental talent. It’s game IQ. It’s that part of talent I really think we lack. We have guys with ability but not guys who can be a team. 

I think we have very few guys right now who are that. In fact I can count them in one hand.

I'm not sure we can judge this. We just went through a stretch with the worst OC in the game, who I know I have heard yourself even talk about the potential teaching issues. We are also getting former players coming out and talking about the lack of teaching, detail, and instructions. 

So, IMO this is a hard thing to judge as of now. Could be right, could be wrong.  This is where I go back to my other post about my concerns about the development of this team with details and discipline. 

If I could be the owner for a day:

I would grab a handful of players and walk into Mike Tomlin's office:

"Hi Mike, I wanted to introduce you to Pat Freiermuth, George Pickens, Diontae Johnson, and I think you already know Jaylen and Najee. These -- and only these -- players will be on the field from this point forward. You may sprinkle in your role players for various reasons and packages, but not at the cost of these 5 main players coming off the field for extended portions of time". 

"Oh, and if I see Miles Boykin log over 5 snaps on offense again, I take a baseball bat to your knee. Kthanksloveyoubye!"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

If I could be the owner for a day:

I would grab a handful of players and walk into Mike Tomlin's office:

"Hi Mike, I wanted to introduce you to Pat Freiermuth, George Pickens, Diontae Johnson, and I think you already know Jaylen and Najee. These -- and only these -- players will be on the field from this point forward. You may sprinkle in your role players for various reasons and packages, but not at the cost of these 5 main players coming off the field for extended portions of time". 

"Oh, and if I see Miles Boykin log over 5 snaps on offense again, I take a baseball bat to your knee. Kthanksloveyoubye!"

I get what your going for here but that’s what you would get if you needed to discipline someone for play like has been floated about by some. 

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Sans QB/OC it's good enough to be a playoff contention team

So that’s where we’re at. I think it’s a .500 team so we’re not that far apart on it. 

20 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm not sure we can judge this. We just went through a stretch with the worst OC in the game, who I know I have heard yourself even talk about the potential teaching issues. We are also getting former players coming out and talking about the lack of teaching, detail, and instructions. 

What’s interesting is that’s rarely said about Tomlin directly. Also the former players for the most part is JAGs. Not 100% discounting their word but when it’s guys that bounce around a ton talking I put less stock in it than if someone like Troy were to come out and say it.

I dunno if you listened to Locked On this week but both Faulkner and Heyward said the same thing about Tomlin: he rarely talks about on field stuff without seeing the tape, but when he does he will call out people in meetings for the smallest things. 

23 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

So, IMO this is a hard thing to judge as of now. Could be right, could be wrong.  This is where I go back to my other post about my concerns about the development of this team with details and discipline. 

I hear you, and could have explained myself better. I think of what I was referencing there as guys who are plug and play in any system and would have success. TJ, Minkah, JPJ, Jones, Daniels. That’s my list of situation doesn’t matter they can get it done. If you tossed Cam, Warren, and Highsmith in there I wouldn’t be upset, I just have TJ over them because our with/without metrics difference.

You’ve kinda mentioned before about offensively guys needing to be schemed to be open, defensively needing scheme to create sacks, scheme at the lines. I think if you have talented enough guys you don’t need to worry about it much. I think that’s what makes SF/Miami such offensive juggernauts. They got good scheming coaches, but those players are also guys who will win matchups even in a scheme that isn’t perfect.