2023 Week #14 TNF Steelers 7-5 Host Patriots 2-10

Steeler Hitman

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

this was a problem back then, terrible  drama and self destruction overall.  Now though, it's not like that, but still the team has different issues.  Better QB play and wins will help put this off to the side, but losing to one of the worst teams (by record) how we did  allows the sky to start falling

Certainly not the drama of AB, but there are some internal locker room issues with players that I think more Cam and Minkah type guys on offense could corral. I think the sky is already falling in some ways.  The team is in need of changes. No doubt. I am just not saying it has to be as wholesale as a new HC and entire new staff.

but what if there were changes and in turn these issues were corrected?

I think the issues can be changed without going that drastic.  The next point is what happens when the honeymoon ends? The team starts losing, they experience adversity, and other issues? Longevity can be both good and bad if not tweaked. 

The record might not be much different, just arrived at in a more appreciable way.

We can't guarantee success because of change. And if so, for how long? Change does not mean automatic success. There needs to be some stability. I am not advocating Coach Tomlin stay and EVERYTHING remain the same. Things need to be improved, added, tweaked, etc. I agree with you on a more appreciable way.  We just may have a different idea on what the appreciable way is. One thing is certain, we both want championship football. We are tired of being average or .550.

Not SB champs right away and winning with tomlins players and coaches either,  just a new look and solid team to start. 

Some of Tomlin's players are pretty good. That is what I don't want a complete team dismantling. We have some strong pieces to build around. Get the proper coaching, schemes, and additions. I am not going to discard Minkah and TJ because Tomlin  acquired or drafted them during his tenure.

and to think I liked math, how I have slipped over time. Thanks for the 'details' here  (23' steelers pun intended of course) . I will lack accountability and credit weekly observing of lacking details for this -_-

there was a time I thought like this, but that's going back a ways. I hear others defend the idea of keeping him, yet it seems there are coaches every year that vastly improve teams, wins a SB  with coaches that were available. 

Sean McVay's and Doug Pederson's don't grow on trees. There are guys like Tomlin, Reid, Harbaugh, Carrol, Belichick, and McCarthy that have longevity and have endured the tests of time and coaching.  I love Robert Salah, Mike McDaniel, and Kyle Shanahan is certainly the flavor of the moment.  However, these guys have not won a SB yet. while they are doing well, they have not closed the deal and proven some of the things that coaches like Harbaugh, Reid and Tomlin have. You can build around a good foundation. This does not mean Tomlin forever, but right now with some additions, may not be a bad thing.

Thats a reason not to accept tomlin anymore alone but will we pick such a coach is another task.  Do you get an arthur smith, Salah, Staley , or McVay, Shanny Steichen  etc.   No guarantee we get the right/good HC either. My disagreement with your comment is 'win might be possible with tomlin (Mr.550 :P) but being a legit contender - that hasn't appeared to be within reach for a very long time.

That is a more than fair argument and I don't dispute that either.

Even then, he never changed the defence other than 1 game vs Brady and thats a major blemish on his resume.   

I think that is kinda nit picking. That is certainly not true. Not being able to beat the GOAT of coaches is no more a blemish than Landry and Madden not getting the better of Noll.

Do you keep media hyped (MH) Mr.550 or want a coach that makes required changes to beat the appropriate teams and risk a new/better culture ?  

I want an organization that is about improving. There are ways to do that.

or

how many more years of the same old do you want to tolerate and expect /hope things will change despite the consistent track record ?

I am not saying accept mediocrity. However, it is not all Tomlin. If you are sick of him, I respect that as well. I think that you have something to build around with adding some new pieces. Like him or not there are some things he does well.

If he really rally's this team and they make noise in the playoffs, I might reconsider, maybe.  That would include wins against good  healthy teams  and go from there.  No footlocker refs, no bugle in the jungle and no QB3 opponents

He isn't blocking and tackling. The players have to make plays too.