Week 15 GDT: Texans @ Oilers......

lumberjackchris

It could be an ugly week.

Levis has looked more and more comfortable as he's gotten more starts.

Derick Henry has owned up since coming into the league.

Davis freaking Mills at QB

No Tank, Nico, and probably Schultz.

And the Titans are wearing their Oilers "throwbacks"

But hey, Carebear is back from the iR to kick field goals again! 

6 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I wonder if we see Juice at C this week

Might be the best time to get him reps there. This week is going to be about as ugly as we have seen. 

Blake Cashman is going to be a big component on stopping Derrick Henry - if he plays, our chances are good. If he's out, Henry is going for 200+. Tyjae Spears worries me the most, actually - we seem adept at stopping the runs between the Ts, but receivers out in the flats are killing us. 

Titans will probably win this one convincingly if Mills is starting with guys like Noah Brown and Robert Woods. If Mills can somehow pull this off, I think we can actually say he was a good draft pick - these are the sort of moments that define a backup QB and their value, stepping in and winning a game to keep hope alive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Might be the best time to get him reps there. This week is going to be about as ugly as we have seen. 

Blake Cashman is going to be a big component on stopping Derrick Henry - if he plays, our chances are good. If he's out, Henry is going for 200+. Tyjae Spears worries me the most, actually - we seem adept at stopping the runs between the Ts, but receivers out in the flats are killing us. 

Titans will probably win this one convincingly if Mills is starting with guys like Noah Brown and Robert Woods. If Mills can somehow pull this off, I think we can actually say he was a good draft pick - these are the sort of moments that define a backup QB and their value, stepping in and winning a game to keep hope alive.

The Titans are known to have a defensive stroke when it comes to backup QB’s. Mills probably gonna light us up. 😂

Was looking forward to seeing Stroud, bummer he’s out. 

Just don’t injure our golden boy please and thank you. 

• Like 1

I think this is a big game for Slowik. Can he make adjustments to his offense to account for no Stroud, Collins, or Dell? Also, will be a big game for Demeco to see how his team will rebound after the worst loss of their season/his short career.

I honestly feel fine with having Mills out there. Divisional games are always tough, but the Titans aren't a good team -- they had a great comeback against the Dolphins, but that speaks to how the Dolphins are frauds more so than anything else. They have had the easiest schedule in the entire league and their SOV is .325 SOV, which is the 2nd lowest. Mills beat them last year in Nashville with Royce Freeman and Phillip Dorsett as his leading rusher/receiver.

I had a terrible vibe last week before the Jets -- it just felt like a classic trap game with the weather and the media narrative around Wilson, but I think this week they right the ship and pull out a close win.

• Like 1

We all know Davis Mills is not an NFL Starter, but the guy is a very experienced back up QB. When you think about teams that have had to play back up QBs, a lot of them fail in comparison to the experience Mills has. Mills has played in 31 NFL games, with 26 starts. He has thrown for 5,806 yards and 33 TDs and has won 5 games as a starting QB.  He had very little time to sit and watch in the NFL, he was rushed into action fairly early as a rookie. He has been watching and learning all season and its his opportunity to have an NFL career. If he chokes this away, he will probably be out of the league when his contract runs out, but if we can get us a win, he will have a long career in the league as a back up. 

Just to look at what other teams have had to do this season when they had a hurt QB:

Cardinals started Joshua Dobbs, He came into the season with less than 500 career passing yards and had 2 starts which he lost both of. While he didnt win many games for the Cards, he played well enough for them to win several games. 

The Giants lost two QBs and had to start an undrafted rookie QB that lives with his mom, and they have won 3 straight

Cleveland lost Watson and were in a mess at QB and had to sign Joe Flacco, they have won a game with 4 different starting QBs this year

Cincinnati is having to start an old undrafted guy and he has won 2 straight

Colts have lost their rookie QB and havent missed a beat with backup Gardner Minschew

the Raiders had to replace their QB with a 4th round rookie and he has won 2 games

So my point in all this is that losing your starting QB for a few weeks should not be the end of the world for a good team. I get that we have lost our top 2 WRs as well, but we just have to overcome that. Davis Mills is a lot more proven than the QBs that many teams have been forced to turn to this season. 

I for one will not give a free pass to the coaching staff for this game. Now is when we need great coaching the most! 

• Like 1

Will Anderson formally diagnosed with a high ankle sprain and has a walking boot on. I highly doubt he can get better enough in time to make it this Sunday, high ankle sprains are incredibly tricky to play through. Derek Barnett now gets to drink from the firehose and should probably start. He's not much of a pass rusher but can serve well against the run. 

Let's see where Blake Cashman is in his recovery - the thought of guys like Neville Hewitt, Garrett Wallow or Henry To'o To'o vs Derrick Henry just screams broken tackles.

On 12/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, ET80 said:

If Mills can somehow pull this off, I think we can actually say he was a good draft pick - these are the sort of moments that define a backup QB and their value, stepping in and winning a game to keep hope alive.

Thinking more about this: I actually think Mills will be OK. Maybe 250 on 65% with a score and a turnover in there, lead a few drives for a FG. Definitely enough to position the team for a win.

This being said - no Cashman or Anderson is going to get this defense killed. Derrick Henry goes wild, possibly hits 200.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Thinking more about this: I actually think Mills will be OK. Maybe 250 on 65% with a score and a turnover in there, lead a few drives for a FG. Definitely enough to position the team for a win.

This being said - no Cashman or Anderson is going to get this defense killed. Derrick Henry goes wild, possibly hits 200.

A tale as old as time.

• Like 1