Addressing the interior offensive line

Heavy_Flow

11 hours ago, Patrick66 said:

I doubt that any of them are going to be "good" NFL guards or centers.  Scruggs was way over-drafted, in my view.  If possible, I would like to see us sign a quality center through FA and draft one of the guys I listed above.  We gotta protect CJ.  A great offensive line makes everyone else on the offense better.  

honestly I am more concerned with Tytus Howard and the RT position. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I'd agree - not somuch his performance when he's playing RT, but his inability to play a full season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I thought George Fant played very well there.  We can probably re-sign him without breaking the bank.  

My guess is, however, that management is going to pick a CB, DL, or a WR with our first pick.  They probably are hoping that the aforementioned guards/centers are going to be much better next season.  I certainly hope that happens.  

8 hours ago, Patrick66 said:

I thought George Fant played very well there.  We can probably re-sign him without breaking the bank.  

My guess is, however, that management is going to pick a CB, DL, or a WR with our first pick.  They probably are hoping that the aforementioned guards/centers are going to be much better next season.  I certainly hope that happens.  

After how well Tank Dell did as a 3rd rounder, I'm pretty confident we're not going WR in the first for awhile. 

1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

After how well Tank Dell did as a 3rd rounder, I'm pretty confident we're not going WR in the first for awhile. 

I agree with you unless they feel the available receiver is the best available player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

I actually think it's still a possibility - mostly because next year is a contract year for Nico and he might try to cash in. 

It's more or less a hedging move, y'know? You could reasonably keep Nico, a rookie and Tank and have a fantastic WR core for a while. Or you can have insurance in the event Nico finds himself in a Tee Higgins situation, a #2 option with #1 upside elsewhere.

For once, the Texans can truly look for either BPA or trade down/out of the the first - every major position is pretty secure, but no position outside of QB, LT, DE and CB couldn't be upgraded in some capacity.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I actually think it's still a possibility - mostly because next year is a contract year for Nico and he might try to cash in. 

It's more or less a hedging move, y'know? You could reasonably keep Nico, a rookie and Tank and have a fantastic WR core for a while. Or you can have insurance in the event Nico finds himself in a Tee Higgins situation, a #2 option with #1 upside elsewhere.

For once, the Texans can truly look for either BPA or trade down/out of the the first - every major position is pretty secure, but no position outside of QB, LT, DE and CB couldn't be upgraded in some capacity.

We can definitely use an upgrade at CB 

• Like 1

Singletary has been money, and Pierce is starting to get back into form a little bit, but it still feels to me like our biggest need is RB. To this day nobody has really been able to even come close to Foster as like a franchise carrying RB like that. If we can get someone like that, with CJ and Tank and Nico and everybody, that's my personal prefernce.

5 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Singletary has been money, and Pierce is starting to get back into form a little bit, but it still feels to me like our biggest need is RB. To this day nobody has really been able to even come close to Foster as like a franchise carrying RB like that. If we can get someone like that, with CJ and Tank and Nico and everybody, that's my personal prefernce.

Give me a Sequan Barkley please or another RB with that skillset. A RB you can split out wide and give him touches instead of carries. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blaze said:

Give me a Sequan Barkley please or another RB with that skillset. A RB you can split out wide and give him touches instead of carries. 

I was gonna say no at first... but Spotrac has his anticipated value at $6.6mm, roughly a 3/$19mm deal on the open market.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/saquon-barkley-25097/market-value/

(For comparison, that's a little more than what Robert Woods makes).

At that rate, for a 27 year old RB who can take over games regularly? Yeah. Yeah, I can't really argue against that. 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2024 at 12:20 AM, Patrick66 said:

I doubt that any of them are going to be "good" NFL guards or centers.  Scruggs was way over-drafted, in my view.  If possible, I would like to see us sign a quality center through FA and draft one of the guys I listed above.  We gotta protect CJ.  A great offensive line makes everyone else on the offense better.  

My only concern here is - once upon a time, Kenyon Green was viewed as a highly regarded prospect at G. Two years removed and we are already talking about an immediate need to replace him, with guys who can just as easily bust out like Green did. 

We talked about sunk cost fallacy - but we don't consider opportunity cost (or, opportunity lost) when constantly throwing assets to cure a specific position, let alone a non-premium position. Every IOL we draft in the 1st is one less CB/DB we draft in the 1st, one less IDL we draft in the 1st, one less WR/TE we draft in the first, etc. 

IOL is particularly damning in the 1st because it's not a premium position like CB, Edge, T, DT, etc. The league at large has been pretty successful finding elite G play in day 2/3 of the draft. Finding premium positions beyond the first 32 picks is MUCH more difficult. The only examples where we see value achieved is when a G is near the top of a BPA listing - Quentin Nelson, Zach Martin-types. Unless the G you're talking about is considered one of the top 7-10 players in a particular draft, the success rate at drafting IOL early is particularly low.

I'd much rather take a chance on an impact position that high.

• Like 1