2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

28 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Tillery released. Hoping we re-sign Butler at least for the DL. Interested to see if we bring any of our FA’s back. Eleumunor and Hooper would be useful depth pieces. 

I'd like to see Butler and Jenkins brought back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was one of the lowest volume passers in the league last year. His completion % is inflated because how Payton used him and his TD numbers were also a product of Payton’s system. 

Payton got the most he could out of him and their offense still sucked. I don’t think Arthur Smith is going to maximize him more.

I think I’ve mentioned that him and Payton actually weren’t a good fit at all(which was another thing I called last year but everyone else was so enamored with the names besides Ronjon). Sean Payton’s scheme is not one for a quarterback the improvises. So I knew that wasn’t going to work. Sean Payton system is very dink and dunk Russell Wilson is a deep ball thrower. of course that wasn’t going to work. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah but he has Won with washed Big Ben and when Big Ben was injured and they had to go with a back up. And of course he has shown this year they could win without Big Ben all together. 

A lot of injuries on Seattle the final year and it wasn’t the exact same team with geno. They intelligently used all of the Space and draft picks from the trade to sign key free agents receive key role players that help them out here and draft a bunch of players that became starters which made them better team(which I remember calling back then) I knew they were going to be better the following year just based on the fact that they had so much space and draft picks. It’s just that most people follow hype.

I also want to point out that I knew that Russell Wilson was going to be horrible on the Broncos because of how much he was paid and the fact of the Broncos are actually a garbage team just like how I think the Broncos are gonna be garbage next year pending if they make any crazy moves. 

I don't think 9-10 games as a fringe wild card team and getting bounced in the playoffs is really the epitome of success. So since you think he's better than Bill, is he the greatest coach in NFL history in your opinion?

So you knew that the Seahawks would be better despite losing a top tier QB who can still play at a high level / gives you a chance to win while replacing him with Drew Lock / Geno Smith? 

You knew Russ would be horrible on the Broncos but how? You've repeatedly said that he played at a high level?

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think I’ve mentioned that him and Payton actually weren’t a good fit at all(which was another thing I called last year but everyone else was so enamored with the names besides Ronjon). Sean Payton’s scheme is not one for a quarterback the improvises. So I knew that wasn’t going to work. Sean Payton system is very dink and dunk Russell Wilson is a deep ball thrower. of course that wasn’t going to work. 

Winston is about the polar opposite of a dink/dunk QB and was balling in Payton's offense before he got hurt.

Like how can you say:

I knew Russ was going to suck in Denver but we should sign him because he showed he can play at a high level in Denver?

or

Russ is still a good QB capable of playing at a high level and helping you win games but I knew Seattle would get better without him / replacing him with Drew Lock or Geno Smith?

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think 9-10 games as a fringe wild card team and getting bounced in the playoffs is really the epitome of success. So since you think he's better than Bill, is he the greatest coach in NFL history in your opinion?

So you knew that the Seahawks would be better despite losing a top tier QB who can still play at a high level / gives you a chance to win while replacing him with Drew Lock / Geno Smith? 

You knew Russ would be horrible on the Broncos but how? You've repeatedly said that he played at a high level?

Great question. I’d go with bill walsh. 

Yep I actually said that. So I’m a USC fan and so I have been following Pete carol’s career a little bit longer than most people. since his time at USC he Has demonstrated that he knows how to create a locker room winning culture, build a ecosystem of talent to where A franchise quarterback being paid 40 million per year wasn’t advantageous to him. if you think of the years when they really made noise it was the fact that they had a crazy Defense really strong run game and playmakers a lot of different positions on both sides of the ball. that’s actually why they won the Super Bowl it wasn’t because of Russell Wilson. Seattle got into trouble when they actually paid Russell Wilson and had to let all of the other people go as a response. Something that nobody paid attention to because of the stats was the fact that As a team they weren’t as good when they paid Russell. Sure his fantasy numbers were amazing but in terms of what Pete wants to do which is to run the football and play amazing defense.

I knew Russell going somewhere where he had to actually carry a team wasn’t going to work. Especially a team like Denver. 

The short of it is they got rid of Russell Wilson but they got way better as a team because of what they were able to get for him including the cap space. 

31 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Great question. I’d go with bill walsh. 

Yep I actually said that. So I’m a USC fan and so I have been following Pete carol’s career a little bit longer than most people. since his time at USC he Has demonstrated that he knows how to create a locker room winning culture, build a ecosystem of talent to where A franchise quarterback being paid 40 million per year wasn’t advantageous to him. if you think of the years when they really made noise it was the fact that they had a crazy Defense really strong run game and playmakers a lot of different positions on both sides of the ball. that’s actually why they won the Super Bowl it wasn’t because of Russell Wilson. Seattle got into trouble when they actually paid Russell Wilson and had to let all of the other people go as a response. Something that nobody paid attention to because of the stats was the fact that As a team they weren’t as good when they paid Russell. Sure his fantasy numbers were amazing but in terms of what Pete wants to do which is to run the football and play amazing defense.

I knew Russell going somewhere where he had to actually carry a team wasn’t going to work. Especially a team like Denver. 

The short of it is they got rid of Russell Wilson but they got way better as a team because of what they were able to get for him including the cap space. 

Where does Tomlin rank amongst GOAT coaches for you since he's ahead of Bill?

So Russ is capable of playing at a high level and putting you in a great position to win games. But you knew that they were going to improve immediately after moving Russ when the two potential replacements were Drew Lock and Geno Smith? The cap savings from moving Russ didn't have any significant impact on their roster construction that year, the only two notable free agents they signed were Nwosu and Jefferson. Their defense has actually been absolutely terrible the last two years. 

I think you might be the only person on earth that thought the Seahawks would immediately get better after trading away Russ to start Geno/Lock. I mean Vegas had their win total at 5.5 going into the 2022 season and most projected them to be one of the worst teams in the league. 

You knew it wasn't going to work but you've said repeatedly that Russ played at a high level? So did it not work or was he playing at a high level?

What did they add with that cap space in the 2022 off-season that gave you confidence they'd improve? Typically when you have a huge drop off at QB it tanks your team. 

Edited by NYRaider

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Where does Tomlin rank amongst GOAT coaches for you since he's ahead of Bill?

So Russ is capable of playing at a high level and putting you in a great position to win games. But you knew that they were going to improve immediately after moving Russ when the two potential replacements were Drew Lock and Geno Smith? The cap savings from moving Russ didn't have any significant impact on their roster construction that year, the only two notable free agents they signed were Nwosu and Jefferson. Their defense has actually been absolutely terrible the last two years. 

I think you might be the only person on earth that thought the Seahawks would immediately get better after trading away Russ to start Geno/Lock. I mean Vegas had their win total at 5.5 going into the 2022 season and most projected them to be one of the worst teams in the league. 

You knew it wasn't going to work but you've said repeatedly that Russ played at a high level? So did it not work or was he playing at a high level?

What did they add with that cap space in the 2022 off-season that gave you confidence they'd improve? Typically when you have a huge drop off at QB it tanks your team. 

I am simply saying that one is still employed because he has demonstrated that he can win in a variety of different circumstances. The other has not. That is why today one is employed and the other is not. Simple not complicated.

Yes. The draft picks did gave them five new starters key positions. And the two free-agent acquisitions that they did get played interval role on their defense one of them played at a pro bowl level. They were overall a better football team that was in a much better place salary cap wise. Sure their defense ended up not playing well and regretting but there are other factors like injuries and one thing with Pete Carroll that I must say is after Dan Quinn he has had some very poor defensive coordinators which is his fault and probably were ultimately got him fired. But yeah you're right I did feel like I was one of the only people on earth who saw that coming lol. Because everyone I knew disagreed. 

Yeah I knew it wasn't gonna work in Denver for sure and said it multiple times on this forum. I think the only thing I was wrong about that year in terms of Seattle was I didn't expect Geno Smith to be the starter I thought it was gonna be Drew Locke who I thought might've been the starter if he didn't get Covid in the preseason. That part shocked me. But I didn't know that if somebody simply played within the system that they were going to be good on offense due to the weapons. 

Russell Wilson didn't play at a high-level the first year he was horrible. Although I did find out that apparently he had knee problems that went back to the last year at Seattle that he didn't get cleaned up because he didn't want to miss time but I did know that that first year he wasn't gonna do really well. I thought he was washed going into this year and he actually ended up exceeding my expectations even though it was in a losing effort. The way you played in 2022 in the way played last year were very different for example in 2022 he didn't run (or move around as much for that matter) as much as he did this past year. 

That was another thing I knew that and Wilson was going to be really good because I saw him at USC and didn't think he was huge correctly on the chargers so I wasn't surprised when that happened. They didn't do anything flashy that year they did more of the flashy stuff this year. But the point I was making there when Seattle was that they knew there was only so far they can get with Russell Wilson getting paid what he did. But they were never gonna be bad enough to be picking in the top 10 to be able to get what they really needed. So trading ride I thought back there was a genius move (Although again I was the only one who thought that).

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I am simply saying that one is still employed because he has demonstrated that he can win in a variety of different circumstances. The other has not. That is why today one is employed and the other is not. Simple not complicated.

Bill won in basically as many seasons without Brady as Tomlin has without Ben.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yes. The draft picks did gave them five new starters key positions. And the two free-agent acquisitions that they did get played interval role on their defense one of them played at a pro bowl level. They were overall a better football team that was in a much better place salary cap wise. Sure their defense ended up not playing well and regretting but there are other factors like injuries and one thing with Pete Carroll that I must say is after Dan Quinn he has had some very poor defensive coordinators which is his fault and probably were ultimately got him fired. But yeah you're right I did feel like I was one of the only people on earth who saw that coming lol. Because everyone I knew disagreed. 

The salary cap didn't really effect their roster construction though. Their defense went from being borderline top 10 in Russ final season to one of the worst in the league in 2022. Russell Wilson is so good that you thought replacing him with Drew Lock would help the Seahawks get better, that's cap bud.

20 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Someone is really trying to argue Tomlin is a better coach than Belichick?

Saying he knew the Seahawks would get better the year after trading Russ / going into the season with a QB battle between Lock / Geno is next level cap as well, lol.

Like you thought replacing Russ with Lock was the right move to win games but also think Russ is a high level NFL QB...

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Saying he knew the Seahawks would get better the year after trading Russ / going into the season with a QB battle between Lock / Geno is next level cap as well, lol.

Like you thought replacing Russ with Lock was the right move to win games but also think Russ is a high level NFL QB...

Yeah I’m at a loss. Some people just say things to say things. 

1 minute ago, FloydFan said:

Yeah I’m at a loss. Some people just say things to say things. 

In conclusion:

Tomlin is a better coach than Bill Bellichick

It was clear that Drew Lock gave the Seahawks a better chance to win than Russell Wilson

It was clear that Russ was going to bomb in Denver but somehow played at a high level last year

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Looks like Chris Jones will hit the market without a deal in place with KC

Wouldn't mind it at all if we got him, even at his age and price. He's a game wrecker for at least a few more years and would elevate the defense a lot