Lions received 7 Pro Bowl selections.

C Frank Ragnow

RT Penei Sewell 

TE Sam LaPorta 

EDGE Aidan Hutchinson 

ST Jalen Reeves-Maybin DECLINED INVITATION 

RB Jahmyr Gibbs **added to team**

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown **added to team**

Seven Lions are also selected as alternates. 

RB Jahmyr Gibbs (1st alternate) **added to team**

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown (1st alternate) **added to team**

QB Jared Goff (2nd alternate) DECLINED INVITATION 

LG Jonah Jackson (3rd alternate)

RB David Montgomery (4th alternate)

KR Kalif Raymond (4th alternate)

LB Alex Anzalone (5th alternate)

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

I don’t think Jonah deserves an alternate spot. He’s been bad this season. I’m not sure Anzalone does either. There are numerous LB who didn’t make it that I’d have ranked over him. I wish there was somewhere that released the full alternate list as well. 

I’m not necessarily upset that ARSB, Gibbs and Goff didn’t make it, until I see who made it over them. Evans, Swift and Stafford have NOT had better seasons to justify a selection over them. 

im also confused how Ragnow and Penei aren’t starting when they are #1 at their respective positions. Got to love name recognition. 

It is pretty amazing how the narrative has changed for the Lions.  We have fielded some pretty bad rosters over the years.  In 2024 we have 5 players named to the Pro Bowl and 7 as alternates.  It is tough to see ARSB not make it as a primary but there are some pretty good receivers in the NFC right now.  Still, we have a great core of young talent that should keep the Lions competitive for the foreseeable future.

ARSB not making it is a bigger issue than any of you are making it out to be. He is 3rd in the league in catches, 2nd in the NFC.  He is 5th in the league in yards, 4th in the NFC.  He is 5th in the league in TDs, 3rd in the NFC.  Of the WRs with over 80 catches, he has the highest catch percentage in the league.  Yards per game he is 5th in the league, 3rd in the NFC (Behind JJ who also didnt make it because of injury).  He was elite this year and no reason AJ Brown or Mike Evans should be in ahead of him other than name recognition. ARSB has been our best player this year and not being in the pro bowl is a travesty.

That being said, I hope none of our guys are able to play in the Pro Bowl because they have practice that week. 

Also, Penei Sewell is going to be really expensive to sign here shortly.  His 5th year option is now the same as the franchise tag given he has made two pro bowls.  And that contract, given he is young for his draft year, will likely set a record.  Andrew Thomas got a 5 year, 117M deal but Tunsil signed a 3 year 75M deal.  I am guessing Sewell will get a 5 or 6 year deal at 26+ per year.  

• Like 1

Like I said, WR is deep in the NFC, so initially I was not upset by him being first alternate, until I saw who was selected over him.  I love me some Mike Evans, but there is no way he deserves a spot over Saint. 

Same with Stafford over Goff. Not this season. Goff is top five in most QB statistics, Stafford is not. Goff has a better record and lead his team to a division title including a few come from behind thrillers like the first Chicago game. He also had more fan vote. So you can’t even say that it was biased fans to blame. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

ARSB not making it is a bigger issue than any of you are making it out to be. He is 3rd in the league in catches, 2nd in the NFC.  He is 5th in the league in yards, 4th in the NFC.  He is 5th in the league in TDs, 3rd in the NFC.  Of the WRs with over 80 catches, he has the highest catch percentage in the league.  Yards per game he is 5th in the league, 3rd in the NFC (Behind JJ who also didnt make it because of injury).  He was elite this year and no reason AJ Brown or Mike Evans should be in ahead of him other than name recognition. ARSB has been our best player this year and not being in the pro bowl is a travesty.

That being said, I hope none of our guys are able to play in the Pro Bowl because they have practice that week. 

Also, Penei Sewell is going to be really expensive to sign here shortly.  His 5th year option is now the same as the franchise tag given he has made two pro bowls.  And that contract, given he is young for his draft year, will likely set a record.  Andrew Thomas got a 5 year, 117M deal but Tunsil signed a 3 year 75M deal.  I am guessing Sewell will get a 5 or 6 year deal at 26+ per year.  

The contracts of Jared Goff, Tracy Walker  and Taylor Decker are set to expire after the 2024 season.  If I remember correctly, releasing Isaiah Buggs gives us an additional $2 million in cap space for 2024.  Right now, the link below says we will be rolling into the 2024 season with $59 million in cap space.  It will be interesting to see how Brad Holmes and company manage the salary cap as their draft picks start hitting their second contracts.  

Sorry.  I forgot the link I mentioned:  https://overthecap.com/calculator/detroit-lions

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

The contracts of Jared Goff, Tracy Walker  and Taylor Decker are set to expire after the 2024 season.  If I remember correctly, releasing Isaiah Buggs gives us an additional $2 million in cap space for 2024.  Right now, the link below says we will be rolling into the 2024 season with $59 million in cap space.  It will be interesting to see how Brad Holmes and company manage the salary cap as their draft picks start hitting their second contracts.  

I don't see Walker making it to next year.  Decker probably will but I wouldn't be shocked if we move on from him.  I am not worried about resigning Sewell, but definitely will cost us.  Same with ARSB.  Goff's extension/moving on from him will be big but I am sure we can figure it out with or without him.  Would be nice to have a cheap QB but our success will hinge on getting solid play from guys on rookie deals.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't see Walker making it to next year.  Decker probably will but I wouldn't be shocked if we move on from him.  I am not worried about resigning Sewell, but definitely will cost us.  Same with ARSB.  Goff's extension/moving on from him will be big but I am sure we can figure it out with or without him.  Would be nice to have a cheap QB but our success will hinge on getting solid play from guys on rookie deals.  

Taylor Decker is still playing at a pretty high level when he is healthy but injuries have caused him to miss some time last season and this season.  This OT class is one of the deepest that I can remember.  It would make a lot of sense to bring in his replacement in this draft and while adding a year or two to his current contract.

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Cowboys gave Tyron Smith an 8 year deal. Maybe we could do that for Penei and get a discount because of the length.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Taylor Decker is still playing at a pretty high level when he is healthy but injuries have caused him to miss some time last season and this season.  This OT class is one of the deepest that I can remember.  It would make a lot of sense to bring in his replacement in this draft and while adding a year or two to his current contract.

If we bring one in this year we hopefully dont need to add a year or two.  The point would be to find someone who can step in next year.  I like Decker, and he is reasonable contract wise but he has fallen off this year with his second most penalties and most sacks of his career.  PFF still  has him graded as slightly above average but if we find someone who can play close to his level for significantly cheaper, I think that is an area we will have to do it in order to pay others.  He already has a void year so would need to extend him a couple of years and if we did and he only added a couple of million to that time, I would be open to extending him.  Stretch his $22M cap hit for next year and the void year over the next three years and add like 6Mill making it a 3 year 28M deal paying him 9.6M per would make it palatable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Cowboys gave Tyron Smith an 8 year deal. Maybe we could do that for Penei and get a discount because of the length.

That would be solid since in three years, it likely would look like a steal and he would still be only 26 years old.  an 8 year deal would take him through his age 31 season which is where Decker will be after next season.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That would be solid since in three years, it likely would look like a steal and he would still be only 26 years old.  an 8 year deal would take him through his age 31 season which is where Decker will be after next season.  

I learned today that Penei is younger than Colby Sorsdal

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I learned today that Penei is younger than Colby Sorsdal

Yeah, he was the youngest player in the draft by far that year.  He couldn't legally drink until halfway through his rookie year.  He is younger than Michael Penix, Bo Nix, and only a month older than Jayden Daniels.  Hoping he is around for a while. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, General Tso said:

To date, Brad Holmes tends to leave the organization in a position where they have a lot of salary cap flexibility.  An 8-year deal might sound good but if injuries become a factor, that kind of deal is problematic.  Penei Sewell will get a big contract for sure but it shouldn't mirror other teams who made bad contract decisions.

Edited by Just Want A Title