Pro Bowl

Louis Friend

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

To date, Brad Holmes tends to leave the organization in a position where they have a lot of salary cap flexibility.  An 8-year deal might sound good but if injuries become a factor, that kind of deal is problematic.  Penei Sewell will get a big contract for sure but it shouldn't mirror other teams who made bad contract decisions.

You're not calling Tyron Smith's contract a bad decision are you..

12 minutes ago, General Tso said:

You're not calling Tyron Smith's contract a bad decision are you..

It depends at which point of the contract you are looking at.  He was a great first round pick was one of the most dominant LTs for a number of years.   However, since 2020, injuries have impacted his availability.  2020-played 2 games.  2021-played 11 games.  2022-played 4 games.  He had a better year but has played 12 games so far.  The back half of that 8-year extension has included several years not playing a lot.

Interesting fact:  I met Tryon Smith in-person prior to the draft in NYC. while in my hotel elevator.  His hands are truly enormous.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitTy00.htm

Not Pro Bowl related but was trying to figure out where to put this.

According to a NFLPA (by the players) survey, the top 5 DC's in the NFL are:

1. Aaron Glenn
  2. Steve Wilks (SF)
  3. Dan Quinn (DAL)
  4. Brian Flores (MIN)
  5. Raheem Morris (LAR)

Absolutely wild to see given how much criticism he's received from the fanbase (somewhat deserving at times). 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Not Pro Bowl related but was trying to figure out where to put this.

According to a NFLPA (by the players) survey, the top 5 DC's in the NFL are:

1. Aaron Glenn
  2. Steve Wilks (SF)
  3. Dan Quinn (DAL)
  4. Brian Flores (MIN)
  5. Raheem Morris (LAR)

Absolutely wild to see given how much criticism he's received from the fanbase (somewhat deserving at times). 

Apparently this is a scale vote where players voted on a scale how much they liked their own coordinators. This was not coordinator votes across the league. 

39 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Apparently this is a scale vote where players voted on a scale how much they liked their own coordinators. This was not coordinator votes across the league. 

It's still a positive sign for AG.

Interesting to see that Ben Johnson wasn't in the top 5. 

• 4 weeks later...

I sort of wish they would just go back to a real game for the Pro Bowl if they are going to do anything.   Very few people actually got hurt in the game and these guys get bonuses and contract benefits especially for first round picks on their rookie deals so play one extra game and have fun with it.  Move it back to Hawaii so its like a vacation for these guys and make their contract perks only trigger if they play in the game.  Give an extra perk to the winning team somehow.  If not, just end it and consider it another all-pro type honor as voted on by the fans or something.  But to have it be what it has become is just boring, dumb, and there is just as much risk getting injured when doing trampoline spectacular catches and other dumb events they dont train for. 

That being said, congrats to our guys who made it, even though there are more who should be in like Goff and McNeil.  

• Like 1

I was wondering how Baker Mayfield got added to the pro bowl over Goff who was 2nd alternate. Reportedly, Goff turned down a pro bowl nod and JRM turned down his appearance as well. 

I know JRM got voted in so his still gets counted as a bid, but I wonder how turning down the invite affects if this Pro Bowl counts for Goff or not. If it doesn’t, he’s obviously not motivated by accolades which I think bodes well for where his head is at and how contract talks will go. 

• Like 1