Is the Chargers defense elite?

Bolts223

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

We have a consistent run stopping LB in Denzel Perryman. He's been a huge difference in the run defense since he came back for the Jag's game.

He’s only played in 5 games this year, therefore inconsistent.

I don't think I'd say elite. Honestly, I'm kind of undecided though. They're a weird mix of great and unimpressive statistically. 2nd and points, 6th in takeaways, 3rd in passing yards, but one of the worst in the league stopping the run, 15th in yards per play, 19th in 3rd down conversion. The one thing that is really impressive is they haven't really had a bad game. Their worst weeks were all around 25 points allowed or so. Though even those games are a weird mix of impressive and concerning. 21 points to New England and 24 points to KC are actually impressive games. But then 24 to Denver and 22 to the Giants look like a cause for concern. I don't know where I'd put them. But the flaws do keep them from elite to me.

24 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't think I'd say elite. Honestly, I'm kind of undecided though. They're a weird mix of great and unimpressive statistically. 2nd and points, 6th in takeaways, 3rd in passing yards, but one of the worst in the league stopping the run, 15th in yards per play, 19th in 3rd down conversion. The one thing that is really impressive is they haven't really had a bad game. Their worst weeks were all around 25 points allowed or so. Though even those games are a weird mix of impressive and concerning. 21 points to New England and 24 points to KC are actually impressive games. But then 24 to Denver and 22 to the Giants look like a cause for concern. I don't know where I'd put them. But the flaws do keep them from elite to me.

Part of the uptick in defense is getting back injured players like Denzel back. He has made a huge difference in the run defense. However, it's one of those defenses where losing a certain key player could unravel everything ie. Bosa.

Also, those earlier games (like against Denver) shows the transition from being a 3-4 to 4-3 under Gus Bradley. Remember that the Broncos started out hot and did a number on a Zeke Elliot Cowboy team. Our second meeting, the Broncos were completely shut out.

Once they get a run stuffing DT and better LB play to complement Perryman (surprised Jatavius Brown didn’t adapt to the 4-3 as an outside LB well still think there’s hope there) I think they are the next elite D.   But just outside elite for now.   Even with Perryman back they are still vulnerable to the run.   Fortunately for LAC and unfortunately for the rest of the AFCW those are the easiest positions to upgrade and Telesco has been killing it in the draft.  Arrow pointing straight up.  

I wouldn't say they are an elite defense but they certainly have elite playmakers on their defense. Joey Bosa is everything he was promised to be coming out of college. Melvin Ingram has put it together. the two of them coming from either side is deadly. 

They are built similar to the way the colts were built back when they had Peyton, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, Robert mathis etc. An offense that can put up a lot of points and a defense that is built to play with a lead. 

... they can beat anyone, and being the chargers, they can lose to anyone

Archived