Is the Chargers defense elite?

Bolts223

20 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

10th in total yards allowed.

2nd in points allowed.

6th in takeaways

One of the best pass rushing duos, one of the best corners in the game on top of an above average secondary.

Where would you rank this defense?

Are you trying to jinx this team?

But seriously, no we're not elite. We still got a way to go.

They are 31st in yard per carry against at 4.7. 29th in rushing yards against / yards per game (I typically don't like using bulk stats as they can be misleading, but I'm throwing those in here), 26th in rushing defense dvoa. So no, they are not elite in my opinion. You can't be elite if you're only good against the run or the pass and bad at the other. 

Pretty much what everybody else said. They’re probably an elite pass defense but they leave a lot to be desired in run defense - keeping them from being an elite unit overall. 

A consistent LB and some bodies on the interior would go a long way on this team. Probably another safety next year too, as I doubt the likes of Boston continue playing this well.

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Seattle isn't even that great on defense anymore.They're certainly good, but they are no longer the barometer of what great defense looks like.

Yeah....Jags got that on lockdown now.

13 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Pretty much what everybody else said. They’re probably an elite pass defense but they leave a lot to be desired in run defense - keeping them from being an elite unit overall. 

A consistent LB and some bodies on the interior would go a long way on this team. Probably another safety next year too, as I doubt the likes of Boston continue playing this well.

We have a consistent run stopping LB in Denzel Perryman. He's been a huge difference in the run defense since he came back for the Jag's game.

14 hours ago, Forge said:

They are 31st in yard per carry against at 4.7. 29th in rushing yards against / yards per game (I typically don't like using bulk stats as they can be misleading, but I'm throwing those in here), 26th in rushing defense dvoa. So no, they are not elite in my opinion. You can't be elite if you're only good against the run or the pass and bad at the other. 

Check out our run defense since Denzel Perryman came back in the Jags game. It's been a huge improvement.

Archived