Wink leaves Giants. DC search thread

Acgott

Art put together a really good list of potential DC candidates: https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2024/01/09/ny-giants-defensive-coordinator-candidates-options-after-wink-martindale-exit/72166520007/

It includes obvious options (Leslie Frazier, Andre Patterson, Jerome Henderson, Antonio Pierce, Patrick Graham), some less obvious ones (Jerod Mayo, Ejiro Evero), a bad one (Sean Desai), and some real darkhorses (Al Holcomb, Anthony Campanile, Chris Shula). The Chris Shula suggestion is interesting, but it got me thinking about Brandon Staley. He was only DC for a year before he got hired as the head coach of the Chargers, but he lead the #1 defense that year. He seems to be a perfect candidate for taking a year off to re-establish his image, but why not bring him in for an interview this year? It obviously didn't end well in LA, but it seemed like he was in well over his head as a head coach. Dabs is a strong HC and Staley would only have to worry about the defensive side of the ball. If we are talking about the McVay coaching tree with Shula, why not bring up Staley as an option?

• Like 1

If y’all wanted to go for the win-win, you could try and steal Joe Whitt from the Cowboys.  With us likel losing DQ this year to a HC job, Whitt, a DQ understudy for the last 3 years and a solid DB/Secondary coach for the last 15-20 years is his likely successor.  Stealing him to be the DC before DQ leaves would kill the Boys and give you first hand insight into beating McCarthy and the Boys who he’s spent most of his career with.

23 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Who would you hire?

You put a post that has the top names. I would like to have Patrick Graham back. His system was effective we just lacked pass rushers. Patrick never had this version of Dexter and he never had Kayvon,  Xavier shined in Patrick's system. While boring compared to what we saw from Wink, I believe it would be extremely effective. 

19 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

You put a post that has the top names. I would like to have Patrick Graham back. His system was effective we just lacked pass rushers. Patrick never had this version of Dexter and he never had Kayvon,  Xavier shined in Patrick's system. While boring compared to what we saw from Wink, I believe it would be extremely effective. 

Do you think he'd come back? I think that bridge is burned. I don't think he is actually an option.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:26 PM, minutemancl said:

Do you think he'd come back? I think that bridge is burned. I don't think he is actually an option.

That situation had to do with Patrick showing support to his friend Brain Flores. I don't think he is tops on Daboll's list but don't believe that bridge has been completely burned down.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I'd like to see Jim Leonhard get an interview. 

Something happened with him. He was a rising star a few years ago and now he’s a senior analyst at Illinois? 

• 2 weeks later...