Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

23 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Bullard's size doesn't jump out at you but the attitude he plays with makes him bigger. Aggressive downhill guy who is also good in coverage. 

I always think Bob Sanders when I see Bullard. The good and the bad (injuries). 

On 2/17/2024 at 3:44 PM, warfelg said:

I do like with Chris Carter does mock draft Mondays as it makes for fun exercises with mock drafting.  His rule this week was defensive player required in round 1 and a max of 1 draft.  I landed on:

1:20 - Cooper DeJean S Iowa

I like his CB/S versatility, especially as a safety.  He can cover TE's and is big enough.  He can stuff the run.  Athletic enough to cover in space well too.  I think he's the type of partner you want with Minkah to allow Minkah to stay in the single high.

2:51 - Traded with 4:120 to Carolina for 3:65, 4:101, 2025 3rd

3:65 - Sedrick Van Pran OC Georgia

There's three top centers in this draft and to pick up better value in the 4th while not moving down far, and getting a 2025 pick is amazing value and correct on the trade chart for value.  I think as we get back to the draft process though Van Pran will pick back up.

3:84 - Kiran Amegadjie OT Yale

He's going to be a specimen that gets attention in the combine process.  He's huge, moves well, and just destroys people in the run game.  He's Ivy League so the question is going to be how tested is he against the better pass rushers at RT.

4:101 - Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky

He's got good sideline to sideline ability, decent coverage.  He's going to need some training up but he could be a diamond in the rough.

4:119 - DeWayne Carter DT Duke

He's a 3T but who cares, when you are that dominate against the run we can use you.

6:196 - Sione Vaki S/RB Utah

This guys is just an athlete.  He's really going to be the most interesting guy in the draft.  Is he a RB of S.  Who knows.  But he's a guy you bring in, have him return kicks and cover kicks, and develop him for one role or the other along the way.

7:237 - Tory Taylor P Iowa

Punted at Iowa.  'Nuff Said.

Comparison the winner did:

Traded 51 and 119 for 40

1:20 Cooper DeJean DB Iowa

2:40 Zach Frazier C WVU

3:82 Peyton Wilson LB NCSt

4:120 Matt Gonsalvas OT Pitt

6 Luke McCaffery WR Rice

7 AJ Barner TE Michigan

On 2/17/2024 at 3:44 PM, warfelg said:

I do like with Chris Carter does mock draft Mondays as it makes for fun exercises with mock drafting.  His rule this week was defensive player required in round 1 and a max of 1 draft.  I landed on:

1:20 - Cooper DeJean S Iowa

I like his CB/S versatility, especially as a safety.  He can cover TE's and is big enough.  He can stuff the run.  Athletic enough to cover in space well too.  I think he's the type of partner you want with Minkah to allow Minkah to stay in the single high.

2:51 - Traded with 4:120 to Carolina for 3:65, 4:101, 2025 3rd

3:65 - Sedrick Van Pran OC Georgia

There's three top centers in this draft and to pick up better value in the 4th while not moving down far, and getting a 2025 pick is amazing value and correct on the trade chart for value.  I think as we get back to the draft process though Van Pran will pick back up.

3:84 - Kiran Amegadjie OT Yale

He's going to be a specimen that gets attention in the combine process.  He's huge, moves well, and just destroys people in the run game.  He's Ivy League so the question is going to be how tested is he against the better pass rushers at RT.

4:101 - Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky

He's got good sideline to sideline ability, decent coverage.  He's going to need some training up but he could be a diamond in the rough.

4:119 - DeWayne Carter DT Duke

He's a 3T but who cares, when you are that dominate against the run we can use you.

6:196 - Sione Vaki S/RB Utah

This guys is just an athlete.  He's really going to be the most interesting guy in the draft.  Is he a RB of S.  Who knows.  But he's a guy you bring in, have him return kicks and cover kicks, and develop him for one role or the other along the way.

7:237 - Tory Taylor P Iowa

Punted at Iowa.  'Nuff Said.

I am warming up to Cooper DeJean in the first. He may be the only guy on defense at 20 I wouldn’t be super upset about. I’m in the camp that I think he truly could play almost every position in the secondary and the Steelers love their versatile DBs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am warming up to Cooper DeJean in the first. He may be the only guy on defense at 20 I wouldn’t be super upset about. I’m in the camp that I think he truly could play almost every position in the secondary and the Steelers love their versatile DBs.

Dejean is super conservative as a CB. He and TJ Tampa are off coverage type CBs that should be able to use their size and athleticism as strengths in coverage. I haven't seen enough press to be comfortable with either of them. Dejean as the Slot defender would be a better fit. I think he plays more aggressive & freely as a Safety.

TE Tanner McLachlan 6'5 250 is a long striding weapon who can be our third TE. He is ok as a blocker but his ability to get open is a plus for a young receiver. Not afraid to go up and make the contested catch. Will sacrifice his body over the middle of the field knowing a big hit is coming. He looks slow but he's just smooth and eats up cushions vs LBs and DBs. Will double catch but I trust his catching ability. I don't know if he has a draftable grade but regardless he could challenge for TE3. *Arizona had so many weapons with McMillan, Cowing, McLachlan etc... McMillan will be a day 1 WR 2025 draft*

8 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

A smart team would leave James Williams at Safety.

I like him as a mid rounder. As the tweet says he’s gonna be a situational guy. Dime safety/5 man front 3 safety guy. You don’t really want him playing in too much space. I would utilize him a lot in 12 or 11 where teams like to run and pass out of it. Sort of a poor man’s Hamilton or Cam Chancellor. 

Edit: He’s someone I like infinitely more if we got Minkah an every down running mate in FA. 

Edited by warfelg

Michael Pratt QB Tulane

Plays the spot like a PG. Can layer in all the throws. Great rhythm thrower. Moves well. Scrambles when needed. Excellent touch thrower. 4 year starter and only 22. 

Average arm. Injuries in ‘23 effected tape. Average against pressure. Small hands. 

NFL Comp - Tony Romo

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Classic looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. I do not want him anywhere near the Steelers. He is soft and takes horrible angles to the ball. 

Soft? What games do I need to go watch to see that? I see a guy who loves to play physical. There are things to work on but being soft.....

Just now, armsteeld said:

Soft? What games do I need to go watch to see that? I see a guy who loves to play physical. There are things to work on but being soft.....

I mean soft as in he is a bad tackler. He is the type of player to talk crap non stop after a play and get juked out of his shoes on the next one. It makes sense he wants to switch to LB because like I said he takes horrible angles and cannot tackle in space. He does have a few hard hits on his tape but I’m telling you he will be exposed in the NFL either at LB or Safety. Maybe he will get coached up at the next level but when I watched him vs FSU and Georgia Tech I remember thinking “how is this dude hyped as a potential NFL guy”?