Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

On 3/22/2024 at 10:31 AM, warfelg said:

Also if you think Cooper DeJean is a CB he’s CB2 in this class for me, but S1 if that’s what you put him as in the MFL and S2 is more like S10. 

This makes no sense at all. I liked your CB rankings and your evaluation of Arnold. Then you say DeJean is your CB 2????

How? Most teams want CBs who can play press and have great to elite quickness with the hips of Shakira yet DeJean is none of that. He's a Zone CB ala Jeff Okudah who plays off man, doesn't press, constantly opens his hips to run deep, and so much more. What games have you watched to make you say he's your CB2?

DeJean is quite intriguing for this defense. I wouldn't call him a pure corner...but, he can play anywhere and return kicks. I know he can play the run and cover backs and tight ends from the slot, play strong and deep safety, as well as the outside/boundary. But, can he cover quick twitch slot receivers effectively? If the Steelers feel he can do that, he should be a consideration early IMO.

42 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

This makes no sense at all. I liked your CB rankings and your evaluation of Arnold. Then you say DeJean is your CB 2????

How? Most teams want CBs who can play press and have great to elite quickness with the hips of Shakira yet DeJean is none of that. He's a Zone CB ala Jeff Okudah who plays off man, doesn't press, constantly opens his hips to run deep, and so much more. What games have you watched to make you say he's your CB2?

IMO his ball skills are hands down the best in the draft. Most physical. Best tackler. And yea if he’s a CB he’s in more zone and cover-3 than man, but there’s still a ton of teams that play that to the point that he should be CB2 should you play that style. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

IMO his ball skills are hands down the best in the draft. Most physical. Best tackler. And yea if he’s a CB he’s in more zone and cover-3 than man, but there’s still a ton of teams that play that to the point that he should be CB2 should you play that style. 

Ball skills?  7 interceptions is really good but 13 passes defended isn't anything to get excited about. For example:

Quinyon Mitchell 6 ints 45 passes defended

Terrion Arnold 5 ints 20 passes defended

Nate Wiggins 3 ints 21 passes defended

Kool Aid McKinstrey 2 ints 23 passes defended

TJ Tampa 3 ints 19 passes defended

I believe DeJean best vaule is playing a role similar to Kyle Hamilton. As you guys stated earlier, he is physical and can do so much but I can't ignore his shortcomings. 

5 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Ball skills?  7 interceptions is really good but 13 passes defended isn't anything to get excited about. For example:

Quinyon Mitchell 6 ints 45 passes defended

Terrion Arnold 5 ints 20 passes defended

Nate Wiggins 3 ints 21 passes defended

Kool Aid McKinstrey 2 ints 23 passes defended

TJ Tampa 3 ints 19 passes defended

I believe DeJean best vaule is playing a role similar to Kyle Hamilton. As you guys stated earlier, he is physical and can do so much but I can't ignore his shortcomings. 

In how many targets for all of them? I think Iowas piss poor offense and DeJeans injury will mess with his evaluation because teams had no need to throw on them or at him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

In how many targets for all of them? I think Iowas piss poor offense and DeJeans injury will mess with his evaluation because teams had no need to throw on them or at him. 

I'm in the minority but Iowa always have solid defenses. I haven't looked for the targets as of yet. I'm sure PFF has them. They're great for statistics but I don't trust their grading system. DeJean would be a great version of Mike Hilton in our scheme. It's hard playing press in the Slot as most of the WRs you face are off the LoS.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

I'm in the minority but Iowa always have solid defenses. I haven't looked for the targets as of yet. I'm sure PFF has them. They're great for statistics but I don't trust their grading system. DeJean would be a great version of Mike Hilton in our scheme. It's hard playing press in the Slot as most of the WRs you face are off the LoS.

Oh I’m with you on Iowa defense. My point there was more teams didn’t really have to pass a ton on them because the offense couldn’t do anything. 

Eather way, I think DeJean is a very tantalizing prospect because of his chess piece like ability. IMO, for us, when you have a guy that can single high like Minkah, take WR1 away like JPJ, and defend short zones with Elliot, DeJean becomes a really interesting part. Is he in the slot, outside in cover-3, is he in cover-2 with Minkah, did he rotate low and DeShaun rotate high, and so many other combinations.

We have so many other pressing needs that an almost “luxury” player like him makes no sense but I’d still love to see it. 

29 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Malachi Corley vs Xavier Legette. Who is the better prospect and why? I lean toward Legette, but I've seen places that put Corley above him. 

Hmmm, this is a good one because they are so different.  Leggette is a specimen and a beast physically.  He’s going to get past people and he’s going to be tough to bring down.  At 6’3” 225 with his speed his comp is really DK Metcalf.  On the other hand Corley is smaller and slipprier, at 5’10” 210.  He’s more of a Deebo like WR in that he’s a YAC god.

I tend to think that Leggette’s game tends to translate more right away, but Corley’s style is what the NFL is suited for these days.

I would lean Corley because of the unpredictability element he brings as the “YAC God”.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hmmm, this is a good one because they are so different.  Leggette is a specimen and a beast physically.  He’s going to get past people and he’s going to be tough to bring down.  At 6’3” 225 with his speed his comp is really DK Metcalf.  On the other hand Corley is smaller and slipprier, at 5’10” 210.  He’s more of a Deebo like WR in that he’s a YAC god.

I tend to think that Leggette’s game tends to translate more right away, but Corley’s style is what the NFL is suited for these days.

I would lean Corley because of the unpredictability element he brings as the “YAC God”.

Legette is 6'1 but national media/draft pundits still list him at 6'3. He's more AJ than DK size wise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Legette is 6'1 but national media/draft pundits still list him at 6'3. He's more AJ than DK size wise.

Size wise yes.  Leggette’s tight hips bother me.  He’s going to be more a straight line WR.  I worry about his ability against press coverage, if his strength doesn’t let him push off it. I expect a very Tav Bryant like route tree for Leggette in the first 3-4 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Malachi Corley vs Xavier Legette. Who is the better prospect and why? I lean toward Legette, but I've seen places that put Corley above him. 

Legette would fit better into A. Smith's offense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Size wise yes.  Leggette’s tight hips bother me.  He’s going to be more a straight line WR.  I worry about his ability against press coverage, if his strength doesn’t let him push off it. I expect a very Tav Bryant like route tree for Leggette in the first 3-4 years.

Legette isn't Metcalf. He runs good routes. He has no lower body stiffness either. Watch him vs Georgia....