Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/fball_insights/status/1776321576884904112?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

GKbDDukWoAAeDv1?format=jpg&name=large

The depth in this class is amazing. Legette, Franklin, Pearsail are looked at as 2nd rounders. Wilson, Thrash, Rice, Walker all 3rd rounders. Heck even Baker and Weaver looks lower than that and they crush single coverage. 

I hate PPF.  Just think of what this chart shows.  Reading the axis, how many times they are thrown to for how deep the routes.  Really?  Does that tell you anything about their route running ability to catch?  Or does it tell about their team's offense and how they are used?  I feel stupider just by looking at charts like this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I hate PPF.  Just think of what this chart shows.  Reading the axis, how many times they are thrown to for how deep the routes.  Really?  Does that tell you anything about their route running ability to catch?  Or does it tell about their team's offense and how they are used?  I feel stupider just by looking at charts like this.

Tells me a lot.  Tells me about their role in the offense, their ability to be trusted on deep throws, in some cases it tells me about the film to workout relationship.

I'll take the trio of Ladd McConkely, Ja'Lynn Polk, and Malachi Conley.  One of them is above the other two, but shouldn't be.  That's McConkley.  With this information and their stats it tells me Polk and Conley can do much more after the catch than McConkely. On the flip side I look at a guy like Thrash.  Would make a nice deep threat WR2, he can get open deep, would demand over the top help, as long as you have a guy that needs to be covered.

If you don't feel that there's a lot to take away from charts like this fine.  But this is the type of stuff that scouts like about PFF over their grading system and it's the type of information teams use.

That chart illustrates why I love Johnny Wilson who might be available in the 4th (?). I wish his hands were a little better but this draft is so deep for WR and I would hate to take one at 20 unless something crazy happens and one of the top 3 are there. Both Wilson’s, Rice, Thrash, etc all available in 3-5

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Tells me a lot.  Tells me about their role in the offense, their ability to be trusted on deep throws, in some cases it tells me about the film to workout relationship.

I'll take the trio of Ladd McConkely, Ja'Lynn Polk, and Malachi Conley.  One of them is above the other two, but shouldn't be.  That's McConkley.  With this information and their stats it tells me Polk and Conley can do much more after the catch than McConkely. On the flip side I look at a guy like Thrash.  Would make a nice deep threat WR2, he can get open deep, would demand over the top help, as long as you have a guy that needs to be covered.

If you don't feel that there's a lot to take away from charts like this fine.  But this is the type of stuff that scouts like about PFF over their grading system and it's the type of information teams use.

That is not in the chart.  Depth of route and number of targets are the axes

Edited by jebrick

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

That is not in the chart.  Depth of route and number of targets are the axes

Ok? Just because that's the only thing on the chart doesn't make it useless.

22 minutes ago, jebrick said:

That tells you about the Wr use in the offense.  It tells you nothing about the WR

I wish it would overlay catches per target also, but it tells me how if they were viewed as getting open or not to a certain extent. Take J Wilson for example, he was thrown the ball on 50% of his routes with single coverage, at 4+ yds per route. Doesn’t mean he was open necessarily but meant the QB thought he was open, and it wasn’t just on screens and 1 yard drags. Now compare him to a board favorite, McCaffery, who was running 2 yard routes and only being targeted 1/3 of those routes. They’re both projected in a similar draft slot, which one is more interesting? That’s a nugget for me. There’s no single chart, report, film, stopwatch or anything else that shows what kind of pro someone will be but I will take all the information I can get before deciding who I like. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I wish it would overlay catches per target also, but it tells me how if they were viewed as getting open or not to a certain extent. Take J Wilson for example, he was thrown the ball on 50% of his routes with single coverage, at 4+ yds per route. Doesn’t mean he was open necessarily but meant the QB thought he was open, and it wasn’t just on screens and 1 yard drags. Now compare him to a board favorite, McCaffery, who was running 2 yard routes and only being targeted 1/3 of those routes. They’re both projected in a similar draft slot, which one is more interesting? That’s a nugget for me. There’s no single chart, report, film, stopwatch or anything else that shows what kind of pro someone will be but I will take all the information I can get before deciding who I like. 

Something useful would be # targets vs catches.  You could break that down to coverage and/or separation.  Even YACC per catch would be more useful as it tells me something about the Wr.  Something that would make me look at the film for why is that stat like that?  The above chart tells me that Troy Franklin ran a lot of routes at 5.5 yards average vs single coverage and was thrown the ball about 47% of the time.  Nothing about catching the ball, YACC, routes, or separation.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

That tells you about the Wr use in the offense.  It tells you nothing about the WR

When you cross reference it with stats it tells you a lot. It also tells me a lot about usage and matchups of the WR. Who can take advantage deep of single coverage. Just that part alone tells me as WR2, Leggette would give you more as a deep threat against man than Corley. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/albertbreer/status/1776689796569575901?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Why not everyone can be a talent evaluator reason #739193759283$4

Years ago, I said Michael Penix was the best QB when he played at Indiana. Skills relating to playing QB, there aren't many QBs better than Penix. Injuries at Indiana warped the publics' image, but he has missed no time while at Washington. Most of the QBs the past 2-3 seasons were older prospects so his age (will be 24 year old rookie) is on par with the post Covid classes. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

When you cross reference it with stats it tells you a lot. It also tells me a lot about usage and matchups of the WR. Who can take advantage deep of single coverage. Just that part alone tells me as WR2, Leggette would give you more as a deep threat against man than Corley. 

It does not tell you if Legette is open, just that he gets more targets.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It does not tell you if Legette is open, just that he gets more targets.

Ok? I didn’t say more open. I feel like your being very nit-picky about something because it’s from PFF.