Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Years ago, I said Michael Penix was the best QB when he played at Indiana. Skills relating to playing QB, there aren't many QBs better than Penix. Injuries at Indiana warped the publics' image, but he has missed no time while at Washington. Most of the QBs the past 2-3 seasons were older prospects so his age (will be 24 year old rookie) is on par with the post Covid classes. 

He's definitely an interesting prospect. He's got good size, good production, seems like a good thrower. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He's definitely an interesting prospect. He's got good size, good production, seems like a good thrower. 

Dude is like a cross between Boomer Esiason, Warren Moon, and Daunte Culpepper. 

33 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The two things that scare me are the medical and he seems to not have a great off switch from the flame thrower tendency. He feels like he could have a good to great but very short prime. 

45 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The two things that scare me are the medical

The knees are slightly worrisome, but he's had two straight healthy seasons. I'd also rather have a guy who can huck it and try to teach him to have some touch rather than the other way around. 

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The knees are slightly worrisome, but he's had two straight healthy seasons. I'd also rather have a guy who can huck it and try to teach him to have some touch rather than the other way around. 

Fair enough.  I talked to some friends who do more of this than I do and he said that he feels the disconnect is the way talent evaluators and coaches look at tape.  Coaches are looking at the play in structure and like that.  Talent evaluators are looking at the fact that he's playing with a lot of NFL quality talent, he hasn't been under fire as much, and has 'blind spot' throws.  Versus Williams who hasn't played in structure which coaches don't love.  But talent evaluators are seeing a guy who can make all the throws from all the platforms who doesn't have a lot of NFL talent around him and has shown he can make plays when under fire.

Could Troy Fautanu be the answer for the Steelers. A little short, but with the weight and arm length behind him to be a very effective right tackle. But, perhaps most intriguing of all, he is guard and center capable. Would drafting him at 20 therefore maximize your early draft flexibility if you are the Steelers’ FO? I have not ranked him among the five best tackles because of the in between traits, but, unlike Barton, he has the arm length to not just be great in the interior. I came away from the tape quite impressed, and I’d even go so far as to say he could be either the best tackle or interior lineman in this draft.

Specifically, I would think this player could put us in the position whereby, if the second tier tackle you want slides down on day two, you take him, and, if an elite center is there at 51, you can take him. I don’t know if there is another pick at 1-20 that gives you these options, given how paramount it is to improve two OL positions.

Edited by rlon

16 hours ago, jebrick said:

It does not tell you if Legette is open, just that he gets more targets.

Receivers that get open receive more targets than receivers who do not get open.

Targets per route run is actually a pretty useful stat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Receivers that get open receive more targets than receivers who do not get open.

Targets per route run is actually a pretty useful stat.

Do they?  Your saying a QB might not just throw it to a deep route even if not open?  Are you saying the QB is accurate enough to hit that deep route?  If he has separation, did he catch the ball?  If he did not have separation, did he catch the ball?  Is it a system QB that is throwing the ball their anyway to see if they can get a penalty?   How many of the targets were intercepted or the pass defended? 

So is Troy Franklin a better WR than MHJr?  He is higher on the chart.   Other than Troy Franklin run a lot of deep routes and gets the ball thrown at him a lot what does the chart tell you?  Does it tell you he is not good at contested balls? 

Brian Thomas Jr is way down in the bottom left quadrant. Does that mean he can't run deep routes or perhaps he is never single covered or both?  Perhaps he can't get separation on single coverage and can't be thrown deep routes.  Perhaps all of his routes are short and he YACCs his way to the endzone.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1776739603480768773

I like the prospects of Haynes being able to play C. Snap arm stayed straight, didn’t rush the snap to get his right hand on the pass rusher, yet got there in plenty of time.  I really like him.  That movement feels like shades of James Daniels to me.

Haynes is a big boy too. He’d be an interesting C if he can do it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Do they?  Your saying a QB might not just throw it to a deep route even if not open?  Are you saying the QB is accurate enough to hit that deep route?  If he has separation, did he catch the ball?  If he did not have separation, did he catch the ball?  Is it a system QB that is throwing the ball their anyway to see if they can get a penalty?   How many of the targets were intercepted or the pass defended? 

So is Troy Franklin a better WR than MHJr?  He is higher on the chart.   Other than Troy Franklin run a lot of deep routes and gets the ball thrown at him a lot what does the chart tell you?  Does it tell you he is not good at contested balls? 

Brian Thomas Jr is way down in the bottom left quadrant. Does that mean he can't run deep routes or perhaps he is never single covered or both?  Perhaps he can't get separation on single coverage and can't be thrown deep routes.  Perhaps all of his routes are short and he YACCs his way to the endzone.

It’s not the end all be all, so you asking if it makes Troy Franklin better than MHJ is just you being obtuse. Of course it doesn’t tell the full story, it’s one data point. There has literally been research done on this and it’s been proven year over a year that a high TPRR and YPRR is a strong positive indicator for WRs. If you don’t like stats that show a WRs efficiency and ability to get open and “earn” targets, that’s fine.

• Like 1