If you targeted a position in each of the first three rounds, need based

rlon

Need one = Get Jones to Left Tackle; Round 1 = Right tackle, current preference list IMO is Fuaga, Latham, then Mims. Mims could skyrocket after combine, one of the other two would be a nice end result for us should that happen. I could see the Jets repeating history and passing up value for perceived upside again. They never seem to learn.

Need two = Upgrade over Mason Cole; Round 2 = Center, current preference list is Powers-Johnson, Van Pran, then Frazier, I think. I left other conversion processes out here, hard to speculate.

Need three = Eventual replacement for Cam; Round 3 = 3-5 tech DL, current preference list is Smith, Orhorforo, then Randolph (this ‘position’ is a little more challenging with fits and values, as these three are all over the place right now and as their measurables haven’t been obtained at combine yet)

Unsung needs IMO concerns stoutness up the middle = NT and ILB

QB, DB and WR to be targeted in free agency (very likely the top 3 FA positional targets of this front office) and/or draft.

Edited by rlon

I’m not sure WR is gonna be a FA route…I’m a huge fan of say going after Aiyuk or JJ but the price for FA WRs is kinda deep.

To get anyone solid you’re looking at an AAV of at least $10 mill.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’m not sure WR is gonna be a FA route…I’m a huge fan of say going after Aiyuk or JJ but the price for FA WRs is kinda deep.

At this point Aiyuk likely will cost us 1+3 and swap of 1sts along the line. So if you are comfortable with him basically being your 1st round pick then that’s fine. 

If Kubiak is the OC then I think it makes sense. It’s kinda what pushes me to Bevell TBH. Braxton Berrios is gonna be a $7-9mm AAV player and can play the slot. Plus he knows the SF/MIA offense to help coach the remainder of the offense. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AFF said:

I don't think I'd trade for a top flight WR. The price would be steep. I like Tyler Boyd. I'd LOVE to have Aiyuk, but not at the price that would probably be required. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think I'd trade for a top flight WR. The price would be steep. I like Tyler Boyd. I'd LOVE to have Aiyuk, but not at the price that would probably be required. 

With Boyd and Johnson you’d have two inside outside versatile receivers…maybe target Jerry Rice’s son in the draft…mid rounds.

6 minutes ago, rlon said:

With Boyd and Johnson you’d have two inside outside versatile receivers…maybe target Jerry Rice’s son in the draft…mid rounds.

If I sign a WR, I probably take it off the draft board all together. I'm not sure there's room for 2 new guys in that room. Just in terms of resource allocation. 

Lots of ways to go about this, but...

Target WR, C (to challenge Cole) and QB (to challenge Pickett)  in free agency. Maybe SS too....but Id be okay giving Rowe a chance next year. 

Rd 1:  OT

Rd 2 and 3:  DL and CB (interchangeable)

Target SS, ILB and C on day 3.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If I sign a WR, I probably take it off the draft board all together. I'm not sure there's room for 2 new guys in that room. Just in terms of resource allocation. 

And I bounce back and forth so much on this.  On one hand with DJ being in the final year of his deal, I want to draft one and look to develop him as DJ’s replacement.  On the other hand I want to sign someone to come in and be the adult in the room so to speak, but it also the threat to step in as the starter is someone slack, however this would require the player you sign to expect being WR3.

Just some thinking out loud, teams with WR need and cap space to be a threat to sign someone:

Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, New York Giants

Now - Maybe based on RD1 pick position you take the Giants off this list.  I leave the Cards on because they have NO ONE out there. 

Playing FA match maker:

Titans - Calvin Ridley.  My got this makes so much sense.  Gets downfield, can catch anything, he would become Levis’s favorite target quickly.

Patriots - Mike Evans.  I don’t think this is likely.  I think he would want to go somewhere established at the QB position.  But with how he could fit in with a rookie QB would be really nice.

Colts - Michael Pittman and Darnell Mooney.  Two for one special!  Pittman returning makes sense.  Downs is a great slot player but with Richardson you want to spread the field a few different ways, and having the intermediate and deep threat of Mooney is a good way to do this.

Cardinals - Gabe Davis.  They will be drafting MHJr unless someone really blows the doors off an offer or if one of the top 3 teams pull a shocker at WR.  But Davis makes too much sense as a bigger deep threat for Murray to take advantage of while MHJr could work everything underneath in that time.

Panthers - Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd.  They don’t have an early pick so why not being in the duo from Cincy to work here. Their contracts were stupidly backloaded to the point where it’s tough, but they do have a road to $50MM in cap space.

Giants - I really think if they do something in FA it would be small, but Nabers is exactly what they need to round out an underwhelming but promising group.

This is blasphemy, I know, but I'd probably extend Diontae. I thought he and Pickens really matured throughout the year. He might not want to, and I'd say a far share of fans wouldn't want him back, but he actually kind of impressed me. He seemed to cut back on his momentum killing drops. He seemed to learn from getting called out for bad effort. He stopped running backwards 2 out of every 3 times. I wouldn't break the bank on him, but if it was a reasonable deal, I'm for it. If he wants top dollar, then he can be shown the door. I wouldn't do anything with him this off-season, though. Let him play it out on his contract year and see where the chips fall. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

At this point Aiyuk likely will cost us 1+3 and swap of 1sts along the line. So if you are comfortable with him basically being your 1st round pick then that’s fine. 

If Kubiak is the OC then I think it makes sense. It’s kinda what pushes me to Bevell TBH. Braxton Berrios is gonna be a $7-9mm AAV player and can play the slot. Plus he knows the SF/MIA offense to help coach the remainder of the offense. 

Berrios has done of note to deservr that level of a deal.

Im not sure of the price for Aiyuk.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is blasphemy, I know, but I'd probably extend Diontae. I thought he and Pickens really matured throughout the year. He might not want to, and I'd say a far share of fans wouldn't want him back, but he actually kind of impressed me. He seemed to cut back on his momentum killing drops. He seemed to learn from getting called out for bad effort. He stopped running backwards 2 out of every 3 times. I wouldn't break the bank on him, but if it was a reasonable deal, I'm for it. If he wants top dollar, then he can be shown the door. I wouldn't do anything with him this off-season, though. Let him play it out on his contract year and see where the chips fall. 

His last contract was 2/$36 mill…he probably gets something close to that AAV wise with his production and general high $$$ for WR.

He did seem to change as the season went on

18 minutes ago, AFF said:

Berrios has done of note to deservr that level of a deal.

Im not sure of the price for Aiyuk.

It’s over, likely way over, but I would give up more than necessary to get him here with Bevell if he’s the OC as a player/coach type guy.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:45 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

both DJ and GP were much better with Mason at QB, coincidence?

they won't trade johnson, and I expect him to have a good year with a legit OC , if they hire one. 

I would start in the secondary.

Now, I'm looking for starters and I know tackle rd 2 is a traveler that starts. I know this guard class you get a traveler rd 2. So I can wait. Centers there are none. I'm really struggling here and I pivot to DL. In such a weak class, guys will shoot up the board, especially after a run. Expect tight selections followed by huge gaps. Round two it's really a Steelers area of concern. They never pick a good guy in the second round. I can think of Kendrell Bell and Marvel Smith as two names of notoriety maybe toss in Woodley, outside of that, you got your Colclough, Kordell, Jeremy Staat, Scott Shields.. they really do bad here trying to replicate RD1 thoughts in RD2 whereas in RD3 they take the gamble and find themselves back on track. RD2 ---- empty

RD3 you can take a shot at a guard here but it's better to let the board come to you and wait until RD4 with your two selections. You can take your typical Max Starks Kris Farris tackle shot and hit some of the time and miss some of the time. Or you can do what they always do which is go for a special teamer. Because that's what they always do. Outside of the DE/OLB conversion. Don't forget Alonzo Jackson RD2. RD3 here I'm going to be different and address needs of the day and go Tory Taylor Punter because picking up 7 yards a punt, especially when you can factor in time and situations can really change the game.

RD4 tackle and dl. A tackle you'll miss on and hoping for Aaron Smith. Back to tradition. Mostly, which must be wrong.

RD6 - maybe one of these Jarrian Jones slot CB types instead of going for backers. Maybe take a gamble or two or maybe even target special teamers with draft picks late and get good special teamers instead of undrafted guys or players of that ilk.

And then with undrafteds the more dire the inside linebacker position is the better guys you'll get.