Panthers Hire Bucs OC Dave Canales as New HC

17 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

After a few hours of letting the Canales news sink in...

I'm still pretty livid

I feel like we could have given Canales a raise or some other assurances to try and keep him

I'm back on the Bowles needs to go train

Let's go get Vrabel

Unless we were firing Bowles and giving him the HC job here, he was leaving. He said it in his presser he was looking for HC opportunity. Sucks, but it is what it is. Time to move forward.

Here is list of who we're targeting for OC job:

Bucs requested an interview with Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Robinson for the team’s offensive coordinator vacancy. Tampa is talking to former Bills OC Ken Dorsey and former Eagles OC Brian Johnson about the vacancy too.

11 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Unless we were firing Bowles and giving him the HC job here, he was leaving. He said it in his presser he was looking for HC opportunity. Sucks, but it is what it is. Time to move forward.

Get Zac Robinson

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I guess Robinson would be my preference 

I don't mind Kellen Moore either tbh

But I don't want Dorsey or the ex eagles OC

On 2/3/2024 at 4:29 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Am I the only one who thinks hiring Coehn is an upgrade over Canales? I don't like Canales and thought he hindered the offense back a bit especially in that Lions game where we didn't attack their weaknesses on the outside. 

I'm going to reserve judgement. I thought Canales absolutely got the most out of Mayfield and that is a huge win. He had some short comings, especially in the red zone, but overall, I thought he was a breath of fresh air. I really hate losing consistency too and continually changing coordinators and schemes usually becomes an issue.

With that said, I do like the hire of Coen instead of just going back to the re-tread OC candidates. This will be Coen's first time leading an offense in play calling at the NFL level (I don't count when he was the Rams OC for that year, as McVay was still calling all the plays). However, being an SEC team fan, I got to see a lot of him. couple things I noticed and am excited about:

1. He loves to get guys in motion and has a lot of pre-snap movement, which I think is a positive in helping create mismatches. 

2. He loves to pull and get his lineman in space in the short pass and run game, which I think bodes well for our OT's, as they're very athletic. 

3. He runs a lot of play action. 

23 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm going to reserve judgement. I thought Canales absolutely got the most out of Mayfield and that is a huge win. He had some short comings, especially in the red zone, but overall, I thought he was a breath of fresh air. I really hate losing consistency too and continually changing coordinators and schemes usually becomes an issue.

With that said, I do like the hire of Coen instead of just going back to the re-tread OC candidates. This will be Coen's first time leading an offense in play calling at the NFL level (I don't count when he was the Rams OC for that year, as McVay was still calling all the plays). However, being an SEC team fan, I got to see a lot of him. couple things I noticed and am excited about:

1. He loves to get guys in motion and has a lot of pre-snap movement, which I think is a positive in helping create mismatches. 

2. He loves to pull and get his lineman in space in the short pass and run game, which I think bodes well for our OT's, as they're very athletic. 

3. He runs a lot of play action. 

great observations @kgarrett12486 appreciate you sharing

The only thing that i didnt enjoy about Canales was his inability to get the run game going, maybe that was OL play maybe it was scheme related, idk

But maybe since Coen worked under McVay, he can bring whatever run blocking scheme they had there over here to Tampa, bc Rachaad would absolutely COOK in that scheme

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:29 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Am I the only one who thinks hiring Coehn is an upgrade over Canales? I don't like Canales and thought he hindered the offense back a bit especially in that Lions game where we didn't attack their weaknesses on the outside. 

I have high hopes for Baker in year two with Tampa, even with a new OC. 

Source: @RedandPewterReturns and Tayne huffing that copium.