Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

The only reason I have Hewitt ahead of Weaver on my list is that Weaver seems a little more rehearsed when he answers media questions vs. Hewitt and I don’t gravitate to people like that as much, however they both seem extremely smart and I love the Baltimore defense. It’s just one small thing that breaks an essential tie for me.

I see what you mean on Weaver but behind the false media facade you can tell he's smart and switched on. He has an extremely media friendly face and that combined with his smarts, knowledge and level of experience makes him good candidate for a head coach. We will get draft picks with him and perhaps also kick start the Ravens to Packers coaching production line. Keeping it real is all well and good but sometimes you need to be able to play with a bit of politics and I think Weaver is capable of both.

Hewitt obviously keeps it more real but it's clear he isn't as switched on and as well spoken. You can't help but notice when Michigan and Baltimore were looking for coordinators he got passed over. Harbaugh hired Martindale and then he hired McDonald. Michigan chose McDonald and then replaced him with Minter. Weaver joined Baltimore at an equivalent level as Hewitt and then just a year later he got promoted to Assistant Head Coach. He's the one getting head coach interviews whereas Hewitt after 12 years only ever had one coordinator interview and that was this year with Jacksonville. If Harbaugh was choosing his new DC right now then it's going to be either Weaver or Minter.

Ultimately LaFleur has connections through his friends with Weaver, he doesn't with Hewitt. That's what important.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

Not going to get too wrapped up in splitting hairs for this DC hire, its a critical hire for MLF.  I always wait to see the results on the field.  MLF was the OC at Tennessee for one of the worst offenses in the NFL.  Things change and it turned out fine.  Make the right hire and we'll see what happens in the Fall.

Let it play out.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Barry was a position coach, I'll land my plane.

Well he had also previously been a DC. Anyone whose "proven" and available is either currently a position coach or recently fired, so this point is irrelevant and nonsensical.

2 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Listening and reading more, I quite like Babich too.

The reasons for Leonhard being out of the loop make perfect sense, but they still wouldn’t deter me.

The only reason I have Hewitt ahead of Weaver on my list is that Weaver seems a little more rehearsed when he answers media questions vs. Hewitt and I don’t gravitate to people like that as much, however they both seem extremely smart and I love the Baltimore defense. It’s just one small thing that breaks an essential tie for me. 

I've heard Dan Campbell as a comp for Weaver.

There's something about me that likes a little... deceitfulness...in a defensive coordinator. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've heard Dan Campbell as a comp for Weaver.

There's something about me that likes a little... deceitfulness...in a defensive coordinator. 

That’s a fair point. Maybe Weaver being more polished and calculated is better. I don’t pretend to know. I prefer working with a guy like Hewitt in my own job vs. Weaver, however maybe Weaver’s personality is better for a leadership role. I would be thrilled to have him, whatever the case. 

26 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Some around here he wouldn’t follow Harbaugh for some reason. 

Nobody here said that lol

Me and one other person simply suggested it might not be a foregone conclusion and he plausibly could have fielded other interviews because he was coveted (while knowing following Harbaugh was his obvious safety net)

4 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

That’s a fair point. Maybe Weaver being more polished and calculated is better. I don’t pretend to know. I prefer working with a guy like Hewitt in my own job vs. Weaver, however maybe Weaver’s personality is better for a leadership role. I would be thrilled to have him, whatever the case. 

I don't know much about Weaver. I kinda wrote him off because he's getting HC interviews and, if he wanted to be DC, he could probably have that spot in Baltimore if MacDonald lands a HC gig, too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nobody here said that lol

Me and one other person simply suggested it might not be a foregone conclusion and he plausibly could have fielded other interviews because he was coveted (while knowing following Harbaugh was his obvious safety net)

And yet it turns out it was a forgone conclusion 

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1