Rank the last 10 Super Bowl upsets from most surprising to least

CP3MVP

These are the last ten SB’s where the team that was favorited by Vegas lost. Rank them from which surprised you the most, to the least

SB 57 Eagles by 2, Chiefs win

SB 55 Chiefs by 3, Bucs Win

SB 52 : Patriots by 5, Eagles win

SB 50 : Panthers by 5, Broncos Win

SB 48 : Broncos by 2, Seahawks Win

SB 47 : 49ers by 4, Ravens win 

SB 46 : Patriots by 2, Giants Win

SB 44 Colts by 5, Saints Win

SB 42 : Patriots by 12, Giants Win

SB 37:  Raiders by 4, Bucs Win

10. SB 37:  Raiders by 4, Bucs Win (This one I was the youngest for and remember the least but I know there was a lot of drama leading up to the game for the Raiders and the Buccaneers defense was historic with a complimentary offense led by star runningback Carnell “Cadillac” Williams. This wasn’t much of an upset.)

9. SB 44 : Colts by 5, Saints Win (Peyton Manning still had this anti-clutch loser stink around him and despite their defense being tougher than in years past there was some speculation about if the Colts could actually finish a second season with a Super Bowl and avoid more disappointment. The Saints had as balanced and prolific an offense as any with a very feisty and tenacious defense that was the difference in the game. This was another toss up kind of game despite the  unfounded national favoritism that followed the Colts during Manning’s tenure. People expected the Colts offense to just roll even though history had shown the opposite to that point.)

8. SB 55 : Chiefs by 3, Bucs Win (Chiefs had a banged up and porous offensive line with a pretty bad defense whereas the Buccaneers had a motivated Tom Brady in his first season after escaping the Patriots. Played in Tampa Bay and full of healthy stars on both sides of the ball it is a wonder why the Chiefs were even favored in the first place.)

7. SB 47 : 49ers by 4, Ravens win (Ravens had a cinderella run with Joe Flacco at QB and a tough old defense whereas the Niners were the consensus best team in the league led by an even better defense . Plenty of questions surrounded Colin Kaepernick at the time but most thought the game was a toss up despite the Niners seeming like a better overall team. What gave people pause predicting the game and ultimately proved true was the determination and grit of the Ravens veteran leadership.)

6. SB 48 : Broncos by 2, Seahawks Win

(Legion of Boom versus a historic Peyton Manning led offense. It was pretty much a toss up heading in although the Seahawks hadn’t been to the Super Bowl for years. The nature in which the Broncos were embarrassed was what was surprising more so than the Seahawks winning.)

5. SB 57 : Eagles by 2, Chiefs win (Eagles had one of the most well-rounded teams in NFL history after being clearly the best team all year heading into the Super Bowl and the Chiefs were there without Tyreek Hill and supported by a bunch of rookies.)

4. SB 50 : Panthers by 5, Broncos Win (The Panthers were the best team all season with seemingly the right combination of players to just “work” but the Broncos defense was elite that year and caused the upset despite the somewhat underwhelming play of the Broncos offense.)

3. SB 52 : Patriots by 5, Eagles win

(Coming off multiple Super Bowl wins including one against the Eagles in ‘05, and a lot of trash talk by the Eagles, the Patriots still had the mystique that they were superior and for good reason after yet another dominant year atop the NFL. No one expected Malcolm Butler to be benched the entire game either as one of their most important defenders all season and a top corner in the league at that time.)

2. SB 46 : Patriots by 2, Giants Win (after the upset of the first matchup and relatively well balanced team this time around despite injuries, very few thought the Pats would actually lose twice in the Super Bowl to Eli Manning)

1. SB 42 : Patriots by 12, Giants Win (undefeated season on the line, Pats had beat the Giants a month earlier)

Surprisingly a lot of these weren’t major upsets.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:48 AM, DoleINGout said:

10. SB 37:  Raiders by 4, Bucs Win (This one I was the youngest for and remember the least but I know there was a lot of drama leading up to the game for the Raiders and the Buccaneers defense was historic with a complimentary offense led by star runningback Carnell “Cadillac” Williams. This wasn’t much of an upset.)

Cadillac didn't come until 3-4 years after that SB team was gutted by age/FA.  Their SB backfield was Michael Pittman Sr and Mike Alstott.   Maybe you were thinking of Warrick Dunn, who left in FA for Atlanta the offseason before that season?   Williams was probably a Freshman at Auburn, or even still in high school when they won.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Cadillac didn't come until 3-4 years after that SB team was gutted by age/FA.  Their SB backfield was Michael Pittman Sr and Mike Alstott.   Maybe you were thinking of Warrick Dunn, who left in FA for Atlanta the offseason before that season?   Williams was probably a Freshman at Auburn, or even still in high school when they won.  

As I said I remember that one the least and the details I thought I remembered about it prove that. Thanks for the correct information. I do remember Mike Alstott from that time being a pretty celebrated and visible player with maybe a few highlight recaps that I saw back then. I also remember Warrick Dunn being a productive RB from the early 00’s as well and going to Atlanta although not specifically from the Buccaneers. Now that you mention all those details I recall the existence of Michael Pittman too but he wasn’t as prolific or as advertised as I recall Alstott, Dunn, or Cadillac being.

• Like 1

SB 42 : Patriots by 12, Giants Win (Duh)

SB 52 : Patriots by 5, Eagles win (Yeah was shocked the Pats ended up losing to backup Nick Foles)

SB 44 : Colts by 5, Saints Win (Honestly wanted the Saints to win, but figured that they would lose)

SB 47 : 49ers by 4, Ravens win (I was sure the 49ers were the best team in the league but Baltimore came to play)

SB 50 : Panthers by 5, Broncos Win (Picked the Panthers to win here and thought Zombie Manning would throw the game)

SB 57 : Eagles by 2, Chiefs win (Picked the Eagles to win, but wasn't a huge upset I thought)

SB 48 : Broncos by 2, Seahawks Win (I actually picked the Seahawks to win here, just expected more of a 27-23 type of game)

SB 55 : Chiefs by 3, Bucs Win (I picked the Bucs to win as I felt the Chiefs offensive line was gonna be a huge factor, was not wrong though the Chiefs did not put up as much of a fight as I thought they would)

SB 46 : Patriots by 2, Giants Win (Idk by their 2nd Super Bowl matchup I just personally felt the Pats were gonna lose and picked the Giants to win since they did it four years prior. The game even went how I expected it)

Didn't watch Raiders vs Bucs