Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Waldron may have stolen that from Shanahan. I saw SF run that in Seattle in primetime a year or two ago

Shanahan got it from someone else I can almost guarantee it.  So hard to trace these things all the way back. 

At clinics old guys would tell this or that innovation came from some HS coach in sticks in Kansas or wherever.  

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears fans really hate Nate Davis.   

I mean, he’s overpaid at $10M per. BUT, people talk about him like he’s the worst player in the league, and he’s not that. He’s a replacement level NFL starting OL. I hate PFF, but taking 2023 out of the equation for Davis (family stuff messing up his whole TC, then injured), he’s been consistently fine (even if only fine) by their measures:

PFF grades:

2022: 70.6

2021: 68.8

2020: 69.7

Year 1 here for him wasn’t good, but it was also a highly unusual one for him. Skepticism is certainly warranted, but there’s also plenty of reason to think that he’ll bounce back to what he was before he got here and be just fine too. 

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I mean, he’s overpaid at $10M per. BUT, people talk about him like he’s the worst player in the league, and he’s not that. He’s a replacement level NFL starting OL. I hate PFF, but taking 2023 out of the equation for Davis (family stuff messing up his whole TC, then injured), he’s been consistently fine (even if only fine) by their measures:

PFF grades:

Year 1 here for him wasn’t good, but it was also a highly unusual one for him. Skepticism is certainly warranted, but there’s also plenty of reason to think that he’ll bounce back to what he was before he got here and be just fine too. 

I think sports fans love to hate on players when they don't show up.  You get electricians bitching about how they work with a bad back etc etc.  The Davis contract doesn't seem like a win, but he honestly did have games where he played well for the Bears. Very curious (and frainkly hoepful by necessity) to see how he plays this year.  Not going to skewer him unless he's still not showing up in late summer practices for reasons. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

PFF grades:

When I watched his tape at TN after Bears signed him I thought it was mostly pretty good.

I get why they feel that way.  Vrabel set the table with the comments that he doesn't practice hard. Then he doesn't show for first year camp practices after his FA deal.  

There is a lot Bears Oline PTSD.  People are really tired of having sub-par or horrible O-lines in Chicago.  

Plus, when people hear or get impression you don't want to work hard after signing a FA deal and then you don't have a great year in first year.  People get pissed.

Especially when they think of how hard and often miserable their own job's are for much less pay. 

All that being said.  If he plays good all will be forgiven. Nobody really cares about missed practices.  But if you miss, you better ball. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I honestly don't remember all Hester's return's.

But I do remember this one by Vasher.  It was awesome.

I remember the wind that day was insane. Gould had some kicks that looked like they were going sideways and came true. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I know we still have 3+ weeks before camp starts, but it would be nice to see the Williams and Odunze rookie contracts not come down to the last few days… 

Impossible.  Anxiety is our default mode of operation.