New OC, Liam Coen thoughts?

On paper seems to be a good track record/trajectory leading up to this role

I like the fact that he will bring similar concepts to what Canales had

I didn't get the greatest first impression from his press conference though, he definitely lacks the charisma + demeanor that Canales has. Canales always had great communication and knew exactly how to answer the media to a level that I haven't seen out of a coordinator in some time (probably why he nailed the Carolina interviews and got that HC gig)

but I'll forgo that Canales nostalgia and hope that Coen is ready to take ownership of his own offense, crossing my fingers that we struck lightning twice with back to back OCs

i thought that Coen had some NFL play calling experience but I believe his play calling exp is strictly with Kentucky 

I also didn't love hearing how his running scheme will be similar to Canales', I'll try to stay optimistic though

there was a lot of chatter about Baker in his first presser with them throwing in the "potentially" caveat in there, which makes me think we will push hard for Baker money wise (idk if i love giving him a huge contract, would prefer to stick to the 20-25 apy range)

what are everyone else's thoughts on Coen?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 10:52 AM, indifference said:

I love the hire. He understands the same type of concept of mirroring the run and pass as Canales and has more play calling experience.

Very creative with the way he implements motion. And he likes to use PA a lot, so that always helps.

yeah I agree. I actually think we upgraded from Canales. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 3:37 PM, indifference said:

https://www.pewterreport.com/baker-mayfield-more-pressure-freedom-sr-fab-5/

Liam sounds like an upgrade already just from a scheme point. Love the idea of running 11 personnel against teams instead of 12

I honestly feel Liam from a scheme/creativity is better than Canales. I feel like Canales never exploited weaknesses. Never attacked the weak corners outside that entire divisional round game at Detroit. 

When the bucs came off a hot streak and win at GB - he went back to the garbage that failed early on in the season two weeks in a row. Didn't see much creativity but Canales was strong in player development. Geno looked tremendous under his tutledge and Baker improved drastically. So he was strictly hired to get the most out of Bryce Young. 

Coehn - I hope is going to have 100% say in playcall/scheme/strategy/decision making. I don't want to have Bowles push him to be conservative - let the OC make that decision himself. 

• Like 1