Defensive Coaching Addition--Deshea Townsend

The Lions are bringing in another new coach for the defense.  Deshea Townsend has been added as Defensive Pass Game Coordinator and Cornerbacks Coach.  Given the performance of our secondary, changes definitely needed to be made.  I am not sure what this means for Dre Bly.  One common theme between the hiring of Deshea Townsend and Terrell Williams:  Both have NFL coaching experience.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2024/2/8/24066172/detroit-lions-hiring-deshea-townsend-new-pass-game-coordinator

One interesting note from the article:  The Lions didn't have a passing game coordinator on defense.  I am not an expert on NFL coaching staffs.  Do most teams have Defensive Passing Game Coordinator position?  I did a quick check on the 49rs and Chiefs but they don't have that listed.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Looks like a position quite a few other teams have.  Most teams have CB and S coaches as well so I am guessing this splits the duties between Bly and Townsend but Bly is still the overall DB's coach.  Fortunately it seems that SFH is again allowing the team to add positions in areas that they are needed to allow guys to succeed at their jobs. 

• Like 1

Townsend is defensive passing game coordinator/CBs coach. Maybe we'll have more than 1 CB coach, but this certainly feels like Bly's job is getting pushed out. Or maybe Florio has the CB coach bit wrong.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/lions-hire-deshea-townsend-as-defensive-passing-game-coordinator-cbs-coach

Edited by nagahide13

21 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Townsend is defensive passing game coordinator/CBs coach. Maybe we'll have more than 1 CB coach, but this certainly feels like Bly's job is getting pushed out. Or maybe Florio has the CB coach bit wrong.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/lions-hire-deshea-townsend-as-defensive-passing-game-coordinator-cbs-coach

It does follow a similar pattern to the Terrell Williams hire.  It seems like one of two things:

1.  More experienced coaches are being brought in to oversee the less experienced coaches

2.  This allows the Lions to dismiss John Scott Jr and Dre Bly if they don't see improvement in how they handle their duties.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

These Dbs need a lot of coaching. Having more than one coach can't hurt 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

These Dbs need a lot of coaching. Having more than one coach can't hurt 

Not to mention that we could probably play Townsend and Bly and improve. 🤡😆

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1

One thing I will say is that Cam Sutton was regarded as one of the smarter players on the Steelers by Mike Tomlin.  He had a pretty good first half of the year but struggled quite a bit in the 2nd half.  If a solid player like Cam Sutton struggled in the scheme it wasn't all on the players.

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

One thing I will say is that Cam Sutton was regarded as one of the smarter players on the Steelers by Mike Tomlin.  He had a pretty good first half of the year but struggled quite a bit in the 2nd half.  If a solid player like Cam Sutton struggled in the scheme it wasn't all on the players.

But AG gets nothing but love around here. Even though it's his job to put players in position to succeed and he failed to do so 

3 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

But AG gets nothing but love around here. Even though it's his job to put players in position to succeed and he failed to do so 

That isn't true.  Myself and others have leveled fair criticisms.  However, there have been times when his play calling has been damn-near brilliant despite the lack of talent.  He isn't perfect as a DC.  The fact that he is making changes to his staff says a lot about his willingness to acknowledge and address things that weren't working.

One thing that was noted in an article I read (apologies for not having the link) is that Deshea Townsend won two Super Bowls as a player when he was with the Steelers.  Having a coach with that kind of experience could be very helpful to a young defense.  The hiring of both Terell Williams and Deshea Townsend seem like very smart decisions on the part of Aaron Glenn.

• Like 1

Dan Campbell has shown that he is not afraid to fire coaches that he believes are holding the team back. That AG still has a job leads me to believe that DC thinks AG is doing a good job and a change will not be made soon. It's baffling.