Defensive Coaching Addition--Deshea Townsend

17 minutes ago, idoubtit said:

Dan Campbell has shown that he is not afraid to fire coaches that he believes are holding the team back. That AG still has a job leads me to believe that DC thinks AG is doing a good job and a change will not be made soon. It's baffling.

Well this will tell me if Dan is really a good coach and leader. Will he stick by his guys at his detriment? Too many times good organizations and leaders fall victim to alliances and their people. 

Looking forward to seeing how AG does this next year 

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

Well this will tell me if Dan is really a good coach and leader. Will he stick by his guys at his detriment? Too many times good organizations and leaders fall victim to alliances and their people. 

Looking forward to seeing how AG does this next year 

The guy is getting interviewed for head coaching positions, which means other people think he has potential to be a great head coach.  It's not like he is keeping around someone that everyone thinks is trash. The continued development of guys like Hutch, McNeil, Iffy, Barnes, Campbell, Anzalone, etc should be credited to him in some aspect.  We definitely need to add more talent and learn how to adjust better in game but we were significantly better this year in general, but the big plays killed us.  Having Vildor be the DB on most of those big plays is pretty telling that our talent isn't great.  I agree this year is big for him, but also will depend on the level and type of talent we add this offseason which will be on Holmes.  

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The guy is getting interviewed for head coaching positions, which means other people think he has potential to be a great head coach.  It's not like he is keeping around someone that everyone thinks is trash. The continued development of guys like Hutch, McNeil, Iffy, Barnes, Campbell, Anzalone, etc should be credited to him in some aspect.  We definitely need to add more talent and learn how to adjust better in game but we were significantly better this year in general, but the big plays killed us.  Having Vildor be the DB on most of those big plays is pretty telling that our talent isn't great.  I agree this year is big for him, but also will depend on the level and type of talent we add this offseason which will be on Holmes.  

There are a ton of guys who could and do make good HC but are not good coordinators.

The interviews are cool but all the rhetoric is that it's about how he's viewed by his players. Not his play calling. 

On 2/8/2024 at 2:47 PM, Just Want A Title said:

One thing I will say is that Cam Sutton was regarded as one of the smarter players on the Steelers by Mike Tomlin.  He had a pretty good first half of the year but struggled quite a bit in the 2nd half.  If a solid player like Cam Sutton struggled in the scheme it wasn't all on the players.

I don't really even think he played badly per say, we just left him completely on an island with some of the best receivers in the game. He was flat out out-matched. He's not good enough to do what we asked him to do but he did a respectable job considering the situation we put him in. If we had a Revis or someone similar Sutton would be an excellent partner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I don't really even think he played badly per say, we just left him completely on an island with some of the best receivers in the game. He was flat out out-matched. He's not good enough to do what we asked him to do but he did a respectable job considering the situation we put him in. If we had a Revis or someone similar Sutton would be an excellent partner.

You are pretty spot on with this.  He is pretty good #2 CB.  The inconsistent play of our safeties made things look even worse.  Getting our safeties and CBs on same page was a problem for a good chunk of the year.  

• Like 1

Defense Positives

- Rush yards/att - 3rd best.

- Hurry % - 1st.

- QB knock downs % - 3rd best

- Pressure % - 1st

- Penalties - 6th fewest

Defense Negatives

- Yards/play - 7th worst

- passing yards/att - 4th worst

- YAC - 7th worst

- Missed Tackles - 6th worst

- Avg. depth of target - 2nd worst

- Expected points contributed - 5th worst

On 2/8/2024 at 8:59 PM, detfan782004 said:

But AG gets nothing but love around here. Even though it's his job to put players in position to succeed and he failed to do so 

To be fair, AG did seem to change our defensive scheme to stop the run and put our CBs on islands while blitzing our S and LB late in the season. It worked. WRs got their yards, but our defense stopped the scoring plays and the team got wins. While this didn’t benefit Sutton, it did benefit our DL getting help on blitz, our LBs in coverage and our offense to not have to score 40+ to win. 

I’m not AGs biggest fan, but I also think we lack talent across the defense and the scheme we needed to run to get wins did not benefit individual players. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

To be fair, AG did seem to change our defensive scheme to stop the run and put our CBs on islands while blitzing our S and LB late in the season. It worked. WRs got their yards, but our defense stopped the scoring plays and the team got wins. While this didn’t benefit Sutton, it did benefit our DL getting help on blitz, our LBs in coverage and our offense to not have to score 40+ to win. 

I’m not AGs biggest fan, but I also think we lack talent across the defense and the scheme we needed to run to get wins did not benefit individual players. 

They for sure lack talent. So this is make or break year for GM to prove he can fix defense. If they overly invest in offense it'll be long season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

They for sure lack talent. So this is make or break year for GM to prove he can fix defense. If they overly invest in offense it'll be long season 

I’m not sure about that. They currently made it to the NFC championship with that defense. If they invest early in the OL and not in the defense , which I’d be opposed in not doing anything for the defense, they should still be in the running as preseason contenders for a division title. If a division title and playoff spot is a long season, then sign me up.

6 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I’m not sure about that. They currently made it to the NFC championship with that defense. If they invest early in the OL and not in the defense , which I’d be opposed in not doing anything for the defense, they should still be in the running as preseason contenders for a division title. If a division title and playoff spot is a long season, then sign me up.

GB offense gonna be a year older and that offense has a ton of talent. If Detroit don't fix D they are chasing GB next year 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

GB offense gonna be a year older and that offense has a ton of talent. If Detroit don't fix D they are chasing GB next year 

Very well could be the case. I just think it is a reach to say it will be a long season, unless you are meaning something different than I take it to mean. I agree it needs to be fixed so don’t misinterpret what I’m saying. But I still want bpa in the draft. If that ends up being all offense, then that sucks, but I’d rather have that. 

I do believe defense will be a focus in free agency, but I don’t think there will be the type of splashes we think we need.

4 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Hopefully two weeks longer than last season. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

The other shoe drops with our secondary coaching staff.  Given the constant communication issues that we had with our safeties this isn't too much of a shocker.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2024/02/report-detroit-lions-defensive-backs-coach-leaving-for-miami-dolphins.html

I wonder if this means that Bly is shifting to a somewhat different role which didn't leave room for this guy, hence why he's leaving.