Marvin Lewis future/ Possible Replacement?

SimbaWho

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/29265/with-marvin-lewis-future-in-cincinnati-in-question-bengals-fall-flat-in-loss-to-bears

Just a story talking about the lack-luster play of the team last week and if they're still invested into Marvin Lewis going forward. No real correlation with the Lions other than I think I would like him over Jim Caldwell if be became available in the offseason.

My thoughts are, if a guy like Marvin Lewis did come available, would he be the guy that the Lions front office makes the move for. Firing Caldwell to hire Marvin Lewis. Now I know many will point to how he can't get past the big boys but he's done a pretty great job imo with Cincy since he's got there from what they once were.

I personally would do it. He's managed very controversial players and personality's who are talented and kept them in check enough to be effective and win lots of football games.

Just wondering what other fans think, and if this is a guy they could get behind in a Jim Caldwell firing or doesn't this satisfy anyone enough. Should they simply just stay with Jim Caldwell?

Oh, so you don't have anyone in mind, Just replace him with someone? I guess I have to ask too... Why is Marvin Lewis so unqualified? Or such a big no?

I actually think he's quite accomplished considering the organization, the division he plays in, the players his team signs/drafts. I know he's not really done much in the playoffs but dang... Outside of the really good great coaches in this game there aren't many better right now with a track record like Marvin Lewis.

An I'm just trying to get a grasp on who people in DET think will replace Caldwell or if they're just so upset with him they'll take anyone, or almost anyone.

25 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Oh, so you don't have anyone in mind, Just replace him with someone? I guess I have to ask too... Why is Marvin Lewis so unqualified? Or such a big no?

I actually think he's quite accomplished considering the organization, the division he plays in, the players his team signs/drafts. I know he's not really done much in the playoffs but dang... Outside of the really good great coaches in this game there aren't many better right now with a track record like Marvin Lewis.

An I'm just trying to get a grasp on who people in DET think will replace Caldwell or if they're just so upset with him they'll take anyone, or almost anyone.

You asked if I'd consider replacing Caldwell. I said I would be open to it, not that I thought he needed to be replaced. I don't have a target I want at HC. If there was a gun to my head that I had to replace Caldwell, I think I'd have Cooter become HC, and bring in a OC with a strong running game background to help improve that area with Austin staying on as DC. I think Cooter and Stafford work amazingly together, and I'd want to encourage that to continue.  That being said, Cooter has said that he doesn't really have a strong grasp of running the ball effectively.  Bringing in an OC to bring balance to our offense could be a very effective way to improve our team. Firing Caldwell and keeping much of his staff might not be the most realistic outcome, which is why I'm not up in arms shouting for Caldwell to lose his job. I'm a really big fan of Cooter and Austin, and if keeping them means keeping Caldwell, I'll be okay with that.

I have a couple issues with Marvin Lewis. I think he's had one of the most talented teams for a while, and done nothing with them. Caldwell on the other hand, has had not so talented teams, and been about as successful in his time in Detroit. Both coaches stalling in the playoffs. The biggest issue I have with Lewis could be seen as a personal one. This past off season Adam Jones had an off the field issue that at the time I couldn't imagine going unpunished. Yet Marvin Lewis didn't have the stones to even speak out against his mediocre CB. That's not the kind of man I want leading a franchise, let alone my favorite one. We Lions fans know we don't get many breaks. Having a coach with so little discipline would be a disaster for us imo.

46 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

While it would suck for Michigan I would go after Harbaugh 

I don't dislike this idea except that he doesn't stay anywhere for too long. If we were to have 3 years of success, who is to say he won't take off to the next job. It would also be a bit of a tough sell - I'm going to assume that a lot of UM fans are also Lions fans. You'd have a lot of ticked off people that would be split.

What has Josh McDaniels done outside of New England that suggests he's good for our job over Marvin Lewis? Why do you like him so much? To me he's just another one of those guys who's a pretty good coordinator, but is mostly riding the coat-tails of Brady/Bellicheck/NewEngland Franchise.

I mean really I think he showed everyone his true colors in Denver.

I would seriously reconsider Jim Schwartz over him because at least Schwartz builds great defenses where ever he goes. Has that ever even happened? A former fire gets a re-hire?

McDaniels was 33 at the time he was hired to be HC of the Broncos. There are some guys that can do it at that age (good example is Sean McVay, although it's still early). There's a reason a lot of guys don't get those roles into their 40's. Mike Zimmer was hired by the Vikings when he was 58 and had no prior HC experience.

I don't have a love for the guy but there are pieces that justify the interest. Obvious NE connection, offensive pedigree, ability to help elevate QB play, ability to get production out of RB corp (don't have a bellcow), prior HC experience.

I also wouldn't be opposed to Schwartz coming back either. He's been very productive everywhere he has gone. Even one of his biggest black marks, the Harbaugh handshake incident, wasn't as bad looking back. Harbaugh has even admitted to coming in aggressively. Would be interesting to see.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

What has Josh McDaniels done outside of New England that suggests he's good for our job over Marvin Lewis? Why do you like him so much? To me he's just another one of those guys who's a pretty good coordinator, but is mostly riding the coat-tails of Brady/Bellicheck/NewEngland Franchise.

I mean really I think he showed everyone his true colors in Denver.

I would seriously reconsider Jim Schwartz over him because at least Schwartz builds great defenses where ever he goes. Has that ever even happened? A former fire gets a re-hire?

he said he learned from his mistakes from when he was the hc in Denver and now all the player from NE are saying Josh would be a great hc somewhere, they weren't saying that when he left before. also Bob Quinn knows McDaniels from there time in NE so that could be his "handpicked" hc..

I wouldn't mind Jimmy coming back he has done a great job as D cord for Philly.

I see Bellichick staying in NE for 2 years. Brady retires end of next year or year after that. Both leave at the same time. Either McDaniels or Patricia are coach in waiting. Would make sense for the Kraft family and the new HC. Vrabel would be the only guy to come in from "outside"... really, he'd just be coming back home too.

We got rid of Schwartz because he couldn't get the team over the hump of being "on the cusp" and the teams character concerns, we're talking about getting rid of Caldwell because again he can't get the team over the hump of being "on the cusp" and take the next step...

... So your answer is to hire a coach who's biggest criticisms are he can't get his team beyond the point of being "on the cusp" to take the next step and who's team has had major character concerns...

I'm just not understanding the logic here.

If anything I'd rather bring back Schwartz than hire Lewis. He's had time to learn from his mistakes and I think he's due for another shot somewhere anyway.

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

We got rid of Schwartz because he couldn't get the team over the hump of being "on the cusp" and the teams character concerns, we're talking about getting rid of Caldwell because again he can't get the team over the hump of being "on the cusp" and take the next step...

... So your answer is to hire a coach who's biggest criticisms are he can't get his team beyond the point of being "on the cusp" to take the next step and who's team has had major character concerns...

I'm just not understanding the logic here.

If anything I'd rather bring back Schwartz than hire Lewis. He's had time to learn from his mistakes and I think he's due for another shot somewhere anyway.

Yeah that's the simplistic way of looking at it without really dissecting the three situations...

( Jim Schwartz, was a kind of a A-hole who let his guys play like A-holes on the field and lost the team. )

( Jim Caldwell is a choir boy who gets his guys prepaired during the week but doesn't have a clue on how to manage in game situations and cost his talented team wins because of his in game coaching mistakes. )

( Marvin Lewis took over a shady organization who openly accepts shady characters on the team as long as they can play and for almost 2 decades he's managed borederline psychotic personality's in a locker-room for most of the time a winning cause going against two power house organizations within his own division let alone talking about the Patriots and Colts in that time. )

I mean at times Cincy was at least mentioned as possible Super bowl shots. Lions aren't even close in that conversation with any coach. Heck they can't even win a Aaron Rodgers-less NFC North, when will they ever win a division? If you wanna simplify it and just say all three couldn't get to the next hump, well sure but if you actually look at the three you mentioned you'll see Marvin Lewis has done pretty well. I mean it's not like he ever had a Payton Manning like Caldwell did.

And also, I'm not saying he's the answer but he's got a WAY better track record that JOSH MCDANEILS. Who's done nothing much but ride the coat-tails of B.B., Brady, and the New England organization. Honestly I don't know who you fire Jim Caldwell for, but I hear people calling for his job, and I'm thinking of realistic options that are idk, actually better than him and not complete shots in the dark like Josh McDaniels is imo.

Archived