2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Actually used grades on Davis too and having an opinion isn't gaslighting. People throw around that weak term when people disagree with their opinion, we live in a society that can't handle opposing opinions 

#triggered

27 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Never said he wasn't an upgrade. Just not a signing that I think is significant. 

Said it's not a horrible contract but not overly excited by signing.

First off, you "never say" anything in your posts, so it's hard to have a conversation with you.

Second, you called him a "depth signing" so are depth signings still able to be upgrades? Pretty good GM then.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

#triggered

I'm totally fine. I'm not the one misusing the phrase. 

Like I said I'm just glad the contracts aren't bad. That's the one good thing about this offseason. At least they aren't overpaying for average players. That's a new thing compared to past regimes 

38 minutes ago, General Tso said:

First off, you "never say" anything in your posts, so it's hard to have a conversation with you.

Second, you called him a "depth signing" so are depth signings still able to be upgrades? Pretty good GM then.

Never said Gm was bad. So not sure point. 

GMs upgrade depth all the time. 

Edited by detfan782004

2 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I'm totally fine. I'm not the one misusing the phrase. 

Like I said I'm just glad the contracts aren't bad. That's the one good thing about this offseason. At least they aren't overpaying for average players. That's a new thing compared to past regimes 

I'm the one that's triggered... 

Just now, General Tso said:

There you go again lol

You all are saying things that aren't fact so just clarifying. Not sure what you are getting at. I've talked about how contracts aren't bad. How they have done things that make sense. 

So it's confusing when you say stuff that alludes to me calling him a bad GM when I've never used those words.

He can be a good GM and me be critical of certain moves. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

You all are saying things that aren't fact so just clarifying. Not sure what you are getting at. I've talked about how contracts aren't bad. How they have done things that make sense. 

So it's confusing when you say stuff that alludes to me calling him a bad GM when I've never used those words.

He can be a good GM and me be critical of certain moves. 

I'm going to use your phrase

I "never said" you called him a bad GM

See how we can just go in circles with this kind of argument?

Edited by General Tso

I don't see any way that this isn't a somewhat important signing.  Our last glaring hole in the starting rotation is at one of the guard spots, since Glasgow can play either side.  We just signed a very good Guard to fill that last glaring hole. Zeitler has never had a year in which he graded worse than Jonah Jackson's best year overall or as a pass blocker.  So this is an upgrade to the pass blocking immediately and a lateral move in the run blocking grades.  Yes he is old and not a long term solution but he did play 950 snaps last year at an elite level.  I will take that. I haven't seen a dollar amount for his one year but I doubt its close to the AAV of the other guards who have signed recently.  

The best thing about this offseason IMO is that we added one significant impact player if healthy in Reader and other than that we added a bunch of solid plugs to fill the holes.  We have greatly improved our CB group by moving Sutton to #2 and improving our 3 and 4.  There isn't a shut down CB there but that improves 4 spots with the two signings and the trade.  Our Edge has improved with Davenport even if it isn't an elite move, its one that improves us from last year especially if we get a healthy Houston next year.  WR is still a question but Raymond and DPJ can be a decent enough 3/4 until Green or a rookie we draft steps into that role.  

So even if we didn't sign big names like GB or Chicago did, I think we have improved from last year and we still have a draft and player growth on our end. Some talk about Love and their young guys taking another step forward but ignore that our team is one of the youngest in the league.  Laporta, Gibbs, Branch, Campbell, Hutch, Jamo, etc should all be better this year even if Goff isn't.  Maybe we get more growth from guys like Kerby, Barnes, Paschal (who was improving down the stretch), Martin, and Onwuzurike (if he stays healthy he also improved down the stretch). 

To think we stayed level while upgrading 3 starters and 2 depth guys on defense and upgrading our O-Line is a wild take IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Actually used grades on Davis too and having an opinion isn't gaslighting. People throw around that weak term when people disagree with their opinion, we live in a society that can't handle opposing opinions 

Folks, including myself, can handle opposing opinions.  However, making statements that can't be backed up or substantiated is probably going to be called out and should be called out.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't see any way that this isn't a somewhat important signing.  Our last glaring hole in the starting rotation is at one of the guard spots, since Glasgow can play either side.  We just signed a very good Guard to fill that last glaring hole. Zeitler has never had a year in which he graded worse than Jonah Jackson's best year overall or as a pass blocker.  So this is an upgrade to the pass blocking immediately and a lateral move in the run blocking grades.  Yes he is old and not a long term solution but he did play 950 snaps last year at an elite level.  I will take that. I haven't seen a dollar amount for his one year but I doubt its close to the AAV of the other guards who have signed recently.  

The best thing about this offseason IMO is that we added one significant impact player if healthy in Reader and other than that we added a bunch of solid plugs to fill the holes.  We have greatly improved our CB group by moving Sutton to #2 and improving our 3 and 4.  There isn't a shut down CB there but that improves 4 spots with the two signings and the trade.  Our Edge has improved with Davenport even if it isn't an elite move, its one that improves us from last year especially if we get a healthy Houston next year.  WR is still a question but Raymond and DPJ can be a decent enough 3/4 until Green or a rookie we draft steps into that role.  

So even if we didn't sign big names like GB or Chicago did, I think we have improved from last year and we still have a draft and player growth on our end. Some talk about Love and their young guys taking another step forward but ignore that our team is one of the youngest in the league.  Laporta, Gibbs, Branch, Campbell, Hutch, Jamo, etc should all be better this year even if Goff isn't.  Maybe we get more growth from guys like Kerby, Barnes, Paschal (who was improving down the stretch), Martin, and Onwuzurike (if he stays healthy he also improved down the stretch). 

To think we stayed level while upgrading 3 starters and 2 depth guys on defense and upgrading our O-Line is a wild take IMO. 

I don't view it same. It's all good. That's why we are able to have our own opinions and thoughts as humans. Hopefully Detroit has another good draft and can add to the young talent pool they have. 

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

$6 million base

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I don't view it same. It's all good. That's why we are able to have our own opinions and thoughts as humans. Hopefully Detroit has another good draft and can add to the young talent pool they have. 

You can see it another way, but when all of the data and evidence point to something else, you will get backlash.  Its not just a different opinion, its an opinion ignoring all data and reason with no data or support other than a hunch. 

If you don't think Davis is better than Sutton, thats fine and according to most statistics would be reasonable.  If you don't think Davis and Amik Robertson aren't better than Kindle Vildor and Khalil Dorsey, than you are just not caring what the numbers say.  I get not being able to trust Moseley staying healthy, but if he is on the field, he is better than Vildor as well and Khalil Dorsey.  There is zero support saying that we didn't get significantly better at CB, even if we didn't add a lockdown corner. You can use PFF, passer rating against, yards allowed, completion percentage allowed, big plays allowed, turnovers caused etc and there is not one argument that we are not better. 

If you don't think Reader is better than everything we ran out next to McNeil last year, again you are ignoring all data and support.  Again there is not a stat (pressures, sacks, tackles, PFF run or pass rushing grades, team impact) that supports Reader isn't a significant upgrade. 

If you don't think Zeitler is an upgrade to Jonah Jackson, again you are ignoring data and history.  Pressures, sacks, PFF grade, YPC behind etc all point to Zeitler being an upgrade.  Yes he is old, but on the field he has been better including this past year.

If you don't think Davenport is better than Harris/Okwara, I will give you that, but he is younger and his peak is higher.  Injury issues as well but if on the field, I don't think its feasible to support he is a downgrade from Okwara/Harris. 

I can see DPJ being a downgrade from Reynolds, but its not a significant downgrade.  The stats say it is so I will say that for now but think DPJ has more upside than Reynolds still.  

So yeah, have a different opinion, but if you can't support it and just say guys are depth without anything supporting that and guys being historically better than what we had on the team, expect people to ask questions and not like it.