2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

I am still glad we didn't go after Snead and give him a big contract.  I think what it does say though is that we overpaid for Davis.  To be fair we didn't have a fourth to give so a late third had to be the pick as I doubt they take a late 5th but that is why we got the two 6th'd back in the deal.  

I also am not convinced we don't extend Davis but as Naga said above, we don't want to give big money long term deals to guys who we don't know how or if they fit in our system.  If Davis plays well we can still extend him or tag him next year.  Or we can let him go and likely get a third in comp picks as long as we don't go crazy in FA next year which I assume we won't based on Holmes actions so far.  

On 3/22/2024 at 11:24 PM, General Tso said:

This is a miss by Brad. Low draft compensation and this can be affordable. His contract will expire by the time Aidan gets an extension.

The only hold up is his knee issue.

I don't think so. It is interesting what positions  KC chooses to pay and what positions they choose not to pay. Does that tell us anything about how to structure salaries if you want to win a SB? I love, love, love, ARSB but there is a limit to what I would pay him to stay in Detroit simply because of his position. And it appears that the Lions aren't going to pay a CB either. Holmes has done well in the draft but he needs to maintain a high hit rate with draft picks if the Lions are going to move into the realm of consistent contender.

6 minutes ago, idoubtit said:

I don't think so. It is interesting what positions  KC chooses to pay and what positions they choose not to pay. Does that tell us anything about how to structure salaries if you want to win a SB? I love, love, love, ARSB but there is a limit to what I would pay him to stay in Detroit simply because of his position. And it appears that the Lions aren't going to pay a CB either. Holmes has done well in the draft but he needs to maintain a high hit rate with draft picks if the Lions are going to move into the realm of consistent contender.

You can't just follow a different regimes evaluation of positional importance. KC thinks they can develop DBs more than they can develop let's say OL (they sign FA OL every year). I would say Detroit probably thinks the opposite.

47 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am still glad we didn't go after Snead and give him a big contract.  I think what it does say though is that we overpaid for Davis.  To be fair we didn't have a fourth to give so a late third had to be the pick as I doubt they take a late 5th but that is why we got the two 6th'd back in the deal.  

I also am not convinced we don't extend Davis but as Naga said above, we don't want to give big money long term deals to guys who we don't know how or if they fit in our system.  If Davis plays well we can still extend him or tag him next year.  Or we can let him go and likely get a third in comp picks as long as we don't go crazy in FA next year which I assume we won't based on Holmes actions so far.  

From what I am reading about his knee problem, it might be a bigger deal than folks think.  Apparently, it was injured during the playoffs last year.  He really wasn't able to practice too much this year due to persistent swelling.  I would be reluctant to give a four-year extension to a player with that kind of situation if I was Brad Holmes.

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

From what I am reading about his knee problem, it might be a bigger deal than folks think.  Apparently, it was injured during the playoffs last year.  He really wasn't able to practice too much this year due to persistent swelling.  I would be reluctant to give a four-year extension to a player with that kind of situation if I was Brad Holmes.

Having swelling in the knee and not practicing is an issue but it depends on the issue.  Most knee problems are fixed with surgery and/or rest.  Frank Ragnow barely practiced last year either and has a degenerative toe issue, thats a reason to not give out long term deals.  A swelling knee when he still played every game on it is not a concern IMO.  

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

You can't just follow a different regimes evaluation of positional importance. KC thinks they can develop DBs more than they can develop let's say OL (they sign FA OL every year). I would say Detroit probably thinks the opposite.

I don't see it that way. I think they see some positions on the oline as good value, others not. Jackson had injury issues so it is hard to know for sure why they didn't resign him but it could also mean that they don't value OG that high. But I'm guessing they will pay Sewell because I think they know that you just can't take any OT and develop into a Sewell. OTOH, I would say that the Lions look at DB exactly like KC does. Simply not going to pay top dollar for one and will draft and develop and bring in mid-level FAs.

Just now, idoubtit said:

I don't see it that way. I think they see some positions on the oline as good value, others not. Jackson had injury issues so it is hard to know for sure why they didn't resign him but it could also mean that they don't value OG that high. But I'm guessing they will pay Sewell because I think they know that you just can't take any OT and develop into a Sewell. OTOH, I would say that the Lions look at DB exactly like KC does. Simply not going to pay top dollar for one and will draft and develop and bring in mid-level FAs.

I think that's a little inaccurate. KC drafts their CBs in rounds 4 or later outside of McDuffie. Guys like Sneed, Watson, Williams and they stole Charvarius Ward.

The Lions have not shown any competence developing their own CBs.

1 minute ago, idoubtit said:

Well, being competent at it is one thing. It sure seems they've been trying though. 

Yea we will see what they do in the draft. Seems likely they draft a CB somewhere at least.

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Having swelling in the knee and not practicing is an issue but it depends on the issue.  Most knee problems are fixed with surgery and/or rest.  Frank Ragnow barely practiced last year either and has a degenerative toe issue, thats a reason to not give out long term deals.  A swelling knee when he still played every game on it is not a concern IMO.  

The risk in this case is that the Titans are throwing $55 million in guaranteed money to a CB who might have a balky knee.  It might get better.  It might also require more than rest to fix the problem or could be something degenerative.  That doesn't seem like something the Lions would want to sign up for.

11 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The risk in this case is that the Titans are throwing $55 million in guaranteed money to a CB who might have a balky knee.  It might get better.  It might also require more than rest to fix the problem or could be something degenerative.  That doesn't seem like something the Lions would want to sign up for.

I feel like thats more gossip and unsubstantiated mystery than fact.  If his knee was a major issue, the physical would identify it and the deal would not go through.  Until then, its just trying to feel better about not doing the deal.  Knee injuries aren't scaring any teams away right now given the success rate of repairs.  

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like thats more gossip and unsubstantiated mystery than fact.  If his knee was a major issue, the physical would identify it and the deal would not go through.  Until then, its just trying to feel better about not doing the deal.  Knee injuries aren't scaring any teams away right now given the success rate of repairs.  

No, it isn't gossip or unsubstantiated.  A number of folks have been tracking this for a while.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/8/21/23837919/chiefs-injuries-examining-ljarius-sneed-ongoing-knee-issue

https://atozsports.com/nashville/titans-trade-draft-free-agents-ljarius-sneed-chiefs-cb-cornerback-news-nfl-bad-move-injury/

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2024/03/cam-sutton-was-at-lions-practice-facility-when-police-hunt-for-him-became-public.html

interesting he was at the lions facility when the news broke. I mean, not incredibly interesting, but…

WTF... now that would make for a rather awkward conversation. 

Not sure how the police haven't made contact yet (at least not publicly) if it was known he was in Detroit at the facility at the time. 

Edited by Karnage84