2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

Lions were awarded global marketing rights in Canada, Germany, Switzerland and Austria. 

They'll be 1 of 4 teams in each market. 

This likely increases the probability that the Lions will wind up playing a game(s) in Germany. 

Rod Wood has confirmed the team will release new uniforms before the draft. Some local media have speculated that they might buy it wasn't confirmed (?). However, we know it's happening for sure now. 

Apparently the WCF patch will be treated differently. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Apparently the WCF patch will be treated differently. 

They should get rid of it. I know the team is still in the family and he owned the team for a long time etc but he was a flat out terrible owner. The Tigers and Wingy don't have a Mr. I patch anymore and he was absolutely beloved by the community. In fact, slap a Mr. I patch on them Leos jerseys and call it a day. 😁

WCF was an abysmal owner. I don't see why we should be celebrating anything he did in football.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

They should get rid of it. I know the team is still in the family and he owned the team for a long time etc but he was a flat out terrible owner. The Tigers and Wingy don't have a Mr. I patch anymore and he was absolutely beloved by the community. In fact, slap a Mr. I patch on them Leos jerseys and call it a day. 😁

WCF was an abysmal owner. I don't see why we should be celebrating anything he did in football.

I thought the exact same thing. When the ownership doesn’t want you to remember same ol lions, then maybe you should get rid of all the remnants of the past leadership.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I was in favor of making a move for L'Jarius Sneed initially but didn't know much about his knee situation.  He is a really good CB but the uncertainty with his knee would make me think twice about giving him a long contract with a large amount of guaranteed money.

21 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I was in favor of making a move for L'Jarius Sneed initially but didn't know much about his knee situation.  He is a really good CB but the uncertainty with his knee would make me think twice about giving him a long contract with a large amount of guaranteed money.

The articles are just the same unsubstantiated gossip you are using to defend it.  They literally have no evidence other than he was hurt previously and sat out some of camp, yet missed zero games.  They also mentioned it wasn't as serious as Toney's knee injury.  Its a reach IMO.  

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The articles are just the same unsubstantiated gossip you are using to defend it.  They literally have no evidence other than he was hurt previously and sat out some of camp, yet missed zero games.  They also mentioned it wasn't as serious as Toney's knee injury.  Its a reach IMO.  

Uh, the articles are coming pretty much right from the Chiefs personnel.  Andy Reid was quoted during training camp about shutting him down during training camp that I didn't reference.  However, this seems pretty substantive:

"One of them was cornerback L’Jarius Sneed, whose swollen knee caused him to miss a total of 12 training camp practices beginning on July 29. Little has been reported about it — and the team has downplayed it, saying that holding him out of practice has been a “precautionary” measure.

Now that Sneed has also missed the first two preseason games, he will surely be held out of the final preseason matchup against the Cleveland Browns this Saturday. Although he has missed time on the field, he has maintained his leadership in position group and defensive meetings.

But it might be time to worry more about Sneed’s availability."

Maybe Andy Reid is unsubstantiated also:

Earlier this week, Andy Reid stated that Sneed continues to sit out of practice in order to manage the swelling around his knee. That was exactly what he said back on June 15 when Sneed also had to sit out of mandatory minicamp in the spring.

Following the thread even further back, don't forget that Sneed was nursing what was a concussion back before the Super Bowl win over the Philadelphia Eagles. When he was cleared to play again, suddenly Sneed's name remained on the injured list. That was back when his knee was first declared an issue.

Going back to just before the Super Bowl and extending that timeline to the present, that's a very, very long time for a player to have dealt with such an injury. Was there a decision against surgery?

https://arrowheadaddict.com/posts/l-jarius-sneed-injury-entering-worrisome-territory-kansas-city-chiefs

8 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Uh, the articles are coming pretty much right from the Chiefs personnel.  Andy Reid was quoted during training camp about shutting him down during training camp that I didn't reference.  However, this seems pretty substantive:

"One of them was cornerback L’Jarius Sneed, whose swollen knee caused him to miss a total of 12 training camp practices beginning on July 29. Little has been reported about it — and the team has downplayed it, saying that holding him out of practice has been a “precautionary” measure.

Now that Sneed has also missed the first two preseason games, he will surely be held out of the final preseason matchup against the Cleveland Browns this Saturday. Although he has missed time on the field, he has maintained his leadership in position group and defensive meetings.

But it might be time to worry more about Sneed’s availability."

Maybe Andy Reid is unsubstantiated also:

Earlier this week, Andy Reid stated that Sneed continues to sit out of practice in order to manage the swelling around his knee. That was exactly what he said back on June 15 when Sneed also had to sit out of mandatory minicamp in the spring.

Following the thread even further back, don't forget that Sneed was nursing what was a concussion back before the Super Bowl win over the Philadelphia Eagles. When he was cleared to play again, suddenly Sneed's name remained on the injured list. That was back when his knee was first declared an issue.

Going back to just before the Super Bowl and extending that timeline to the present, that's a very, very long time for a player to have dealt with such an injury. Was there a decision against surgery?

https://arrowheadaddict.com/posts/l-jarius-sneed-injury-entering-worrisome-territory-kansas-city-chiefs

Cool stories, he missed some practice with a knee injury and they chose to rest him.  He still played in every meaningful game.  And if his knee was a major issue it would have been identified in the physical process.  Yes he had an injured knee, extrapolating that to a long term knee issue that is degenerative and will impact him for this contract is gossip until there is a medical review that says it is. As of now you are just assuming. 

58 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Cool stories, he missed some practice with a knee injury and they chose to rest him.  He still played in every meaningful game.  And if his knee was a major issue it would have been identified in the physical process.  Yes he had an injured knee, extrapolating that to a long term knee issue that is degenerative and will impact him for this contract is gossip until there is a medical review that says it is. As of now you are just assuming. 

There aren't any assumptions anywhere in my posts.  Even the local writers were leary of how well is knee might hold up.  If you look at his first four years in the league, he has been a really good CB.  CBs who play at his level don't become available very often.  Somehow, the Chiefs only managed to get slightly more in a trade than what they would have received in compensatory picks if they had let him walk in free agency.  The only thing crazy about his contract was the higher percentage of guaranteed dollars.  Fact:  he has a balky knee that dates back to the previous season and he is going into his 5th season.  The risk level in year 1 is elevated but reasonable.  Year 2, it starts to tick up a little bit.  Years 3 and 4 have a much higher risk level due to his age (he will be 30-years old in year 3).

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

There aren't any assumptions anywhere in my posts.  Even the local writers were leary of how well is knee might hold up.  If you look at his first four years in the league, he has been a really good CB.  CBs who play at his level don't become available very often.  Somehow, the Chiefs only managed to get slightly more in a trade than what they would have received in compensatory picks if they had let him walk in free agency.  The only thing crazy about his contract was the higher percentage of guaranteed dollars.  Fact:  he has a balky knee that dates back to the previous season and he is going into his 5th season.  The risk level in year 1 is elevated but reasonable.  Year 2, it starts to tick up a little bit.  Years 3 and 4 have a much higher risk level due to his age (he will be 30-years old in year 3).

The assumption isn’t that he has a “balky” knee. No one is denying that. The assumption is, by the writers, it is degenerating. There is no fact to this anywhere.

i believe this is the argument being made.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

The assumption isn’t that he has a “balky” knee. No one is denying that. The assumption is, by the writers, it is degenerating. There is no fact to this anywhere.

i believe this is the argument being made.

I never said it was degenerative.  It could be.  It is simply a risk.  Given their not-great return in the trade, it is kind tough tough to thin it wasn't a factor in driving down the trade value along with other things like the number of times he was flagged last year (17 penalties during the regular season).  If he was wearing a Lions uniform and playing like that the numbers would probably be higher.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/player/l-sneed-kansas-city-chiefs?year=2023

30 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I never said it was degenerative.  It could be.  It is simply a risk.  Given their not-great return in the trade, it is kind tough tough to thin it wasn't a factor in driving down the trade value along with other things like the number of times he was flagged last year (17 penalties during the regular season).  If he was wearing a Lions uniform and playing like that the numbers would probably be higher.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/player/l-sneed-kansas-city-chiefs?year=2023

The small return was likely due to the large contract that went with it.  Again you are assuming something and mistaking that for a fact.  Maybe his knee had people skeptical but again, all players go through medical physicals with their new team before everything is finalized and any major knee concern would have been caught there.  Jalen Ramsey got traded last year for a bench TE and a 3rd round pick. Yannik Ngakoue was  tagged and traded for a mid 2nd as an elite pass rusher.  Jadeveon Clowney was franchised and traded for a couple bench guys and a 3rd round pick.  Dee Ford was tagged and traded by the Chiefs for a late 2nd.  Thats what most guys who are tagged and traded go for because if their team doesn't want them, its because the contract will be too big.  Rarely does an elite player get tagged with the intent of trading him.  The pick and the contract were market rate according to the rest of the league.  The knee had nothing to do with it until other teams come out and say thats why they stayed away.  Until then, its just gossip. 

I know it is the season of smoke and mirrors with respect to draft rumors but I saw an article today that has the Commanders settled on J.J. McCarthy as their selection at #2.  He is a good prospect but I am surprised to see him being talked about at #2.  It could be bait to get the Vikings or maybe the Broncos to make a move but still.  Not sure what to think about that.

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The small return was likely due to the large contract that went with it.  Again you are assuming something and mistaking that for a fact.  Maybe his knee had people skeptical but again, all players go through medical physicals with their new team before everything is finalized and any major knee concern would have been caught there.  Jalen Ramsey got traded last year for a bench TE and a 3rd round pick. Yannik Ngakoue was  tagged and traded for a mid 2nd as an elite pass rusher.  Jadeveon Clowney was franchised and traded for a couple bench guys and a 3rd round pick.  Dee Ford was tagged and traded by the Chiefs for a late 2nd.  Thats what most guys who are tagged and traded go for because if their team doesn't want them, its because the contract will be too big.  Rarely does an elite player get tagged with the intent of trading him.  The pick and the contract were market rate according to the rest of the league.  The knee had nothing to do with it until other teams come out and say thats why they stayed away.  Until then, its just gossip. 

You kind of invalidated part of your argument.  If the draft pick compensation and the contract are in line with "market values then why weren't more teams lined up to make the move?  There were a fair number of teams with the cap-flexibility to get it done.  It narrowed down to the Titans pretty quickly.  It wasn't "only the contract" any more than it was "only the balky knee" that tamped down interest.