(First 7 years) Tom Brady vs Patrick Mahomes

Shylo3716

On 2/20/2024 at 1:36 PM, Shylo3716 said:

(First 7 years) Tom Brady vs Patrick Mahomes: Choose 1 player per trait.

Leadership - Tie
Competitiveness - Brady 
Toughness - Brady
Mechanics - Tie
Arm strength - Mahomes
Accuracy - Mahomes
Touch -Tie
Field vision - Tie
Pocket presence - Brady
Decision-making - Brady
Second-reaction ability - Mahomes  
Clutch - Tie

Really only feel comfortable with competitiveness, arm strength and second-reaction ability though.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Are we saying First 7 years including or excluding rookie seasons? Because that would mean the inclusion or not of Tom Brady's 50 TD 2007 season, which definitely plays a lot into how I'd judge this.

If we remove both of their bench year rookie seasons than Mahomes technically hasn’t yet hit “7 years” yet.

I had the same question initially, though when I noticed Mahomes has yet to start 7 full seasons, I just operated under the assumption that the only fair comparison then would be a true 7 years on both sides.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 9:37 AM, diamondbull424 said:

Leadership - Mahomes
- The first 7 years the Patriots were partly led by Brady but also very much led by their defensive personalities. Mahomes has been the unquestioned leader of the Chiefs.

Deleted most of the quote to save space.

Your post pretty much fits how I feel. I think there's a lot of retroactive analysis going on in some cases, where people are applying prime and late career Brady's rep and accomplishments to early Brady. I have to assume first 7 years for Brady means '00 to '06, given that Mahomes has only played 7 years if we count '17, and that was not yet GOAT Brady, at that point. He was a very good QB, but not nearly the unanimous best in the league that he would become in 07 and for much of his career beyond. Something like mechanics does still make sense for Brady, because it's not only one of his strongest attributes, even early on, but one of Mahomes's weakest as well. But I think some are ranking these based on what Brady would become, not who he was those first few years. The most impressive thing with Mahomes is the fast start, not just the superbowls, but the MVPs and just the overall quality of play. What was craziest about Brady was that he never stopped, he was always in and winning superbowls, and he hit his peak and stayed there for like 15 years. But that's not part of the comparison if we're talking their first 7 years in the league.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Deleted most of the quote to save space.

Your post pretty much fits how I feel. I think there's a lot of retroactive analysis going on in some cases, where people are applying prime and late career Brady's rep and accomplishments to early Brady. I have to assume first 7 years for Brady means '00 to '06, given that Mahomes has only played 7 years if we count '17, and that was not yet GOAT Brady, at that point. He was a very good QB, but not nearly the unanimous best in the league that he would become in 07 and for much of his career beyond. Something like mechanics does still make sense for Brady, because it's not only one of his strongest attributes, even early on, but one of Mahomes's weakest as well. But I think some are ranking these based on what Brady would become, not who he was those first few years. The most impressive thing with Mahomes is the fast start, not just the superbowls, but the MVPs and just the overall quality of play. What was craziest about Brady was that he never stopped, he was always in and winning superbowls, and he hit his peak and stayed there for like 15 years. But that's not part of the comparison if we're talking their first 7 years in the league.

Yeah. Honestly this thread is disrespectful to Mahomes IMO. Mahomes has a very strong case against Peyton Manning in GOAT QB conversations… and if we compare the first 7 seasons of their careers, Brady is absolutely the worst of the three.

Tbqh there are a number of QBs all time that I would take over Brady if we’re talking just the first 7 years of their careers than you’d have to like: Rodgers, Manning, Mahomes, Favre, Marino, and Wilson in no particular order.

I’m sure there’s others that I’m forgetting as well, but I think a better comparison in another year might be Brady vs Lamar and Allen in their first 7 years… so far I’d probably put both above early Brady as well.

But Mahomes you’d have in the argument (I’m not sure who else would be there with him) for the best 7 year start to a QB career all time. He has both the individual AND team accolades already. He’s been the undisputed #1 QB in the league since 2018-2024. At this point in his career Brady was never considered the best QB, he was behind Manning and it was only an argument because he had the rings working in his favor. 

• Like 1