(First 7 years) Tom Brady vs Patrick Mahomes

Shylo3716

(First 7 years) Tom Brady vs Patrick Mahomes: Choose 1 player per trait.

Leadership - 
Competitiveness - 
Toughness - 
Mechanics - 
Arm strength -  
Accuracy - 
Touch -
Field vision -
Pocket presence -
Decision-making -
Second-reaction ability -  
Clutch -

Leadership - brady
Competitiveness - tie
Toughness - tie
Mechanics - brady
Arm strength - mahomes
Accuracy - mahomes
Touch - tie
Field vision - tie
Pocket presence - tie
Decision-making - brady
Second-reaction ability - mahomes
Clutch - brady

On 2/20/2024 at 3:02 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's Mahomes in literally every category.

Literally couldn’t disagree more - I don’t think I’ve ever seen Brady crying to an opponent about a ref making the right call and losing the game because of it.

Leadership - Brady
Competitiveness - Brady
Toughness - Brady
Mechanics - Brady
Arm strength - Mahomes
Accuracy - Brady
Touch - Brady
Field vision - Brady
Pocket presence - Brady
Decision-making - Brady
Second-reaction ability - Mahomes
Clutch - Tie

• Like 1

Leadership - Tie
Competitiveness - Tie
Toughness - Tie
Mechanics - Brady
Arm strength -  Mahomes
Accuracy - Brady
Touch - Brady
Field vision - Brady
Pocket presence - Brady
Decision-making - Mahomes
Second-reaction ability -  Mahomes
Clutch - Tie

Most of these are very close

Edited by Nightime
  • Like 1

Leadership - Tie
Competitiveness - Tie
Toughness - Tie
Mechanics - Tie
Arm strength -  Mahomes
Accuracy - Mahomes
Touch - Brady
Field vision - Tie
Pocket presence - Brady
Clutch - Tie

It's a tie in the first 4 categories. I don't know how you can make a case for either one of them in the first 3 categories. Both wouldn't have won 3 Super Bowls in their first 7 seasons, if they wouldn't be top notch in those categories.

Mechanics are an interesting point. I guess Brady has better Mechanics than Mahomes, but Mahomes game isn't defined to be a "traditional" QB like Brady is. Mahomes does things that nobody else can do. So even if his pure mechanics are worse than Brady's, how can we put it against him, if he's just as succesful with his style of playing the game? Most likely because his arm talent is superior, so he doesn't need 100% refined mechanics. That's why it's a tie for me as well.

Arm Strength goes to Mahomes. No question about it.

In Accuracy i'm just looking at the completion percentages. Mahomes worst completion percentage was 62.9%, which was his first season, which only includes 1 game. Does that really count? I don't think so. His 2nd worst season was his 3rd season with 65.9%. That's exactly 2% better than Bradys best season (his 2nd) during his first 7 seasons. Brady's completion percentage went up in his 8th season, but that's not part of the question. So the Accuracy point goes to Mahomes. That's also the reason, why i have Mechanics at a Tie, because Mahomes Accuracy isn't impacted by his non-traditional playing style and probably slightly worse mechanics.

Touch and Pocket Presence i'd give to Brady.

Field vision is a Tie for me and Decision-making goes to Mahomes. Obviously both are very close in those 2 categories, but i think the advantage Mahomes gets from me in decision-making is the fact, that he had less interceptions than Brady while having more passing attempts. Also his passer rating was better than Bradys.

Second-reaction ability clearly goes to Mahomes as well and i finish off Clutch with a Tie, because both had their moments. Mahomes had more comeback situations, so i could give him the advantage here as well, but i think i'd rather put it like the first 3 categories. If needed, both were clutch.

Edited by Edge

I'll play.  And this is really, really splitting hairs.

Leadership - Tie
Competitiveness -  Brady
Toughness -  Tie
Mechanics -  Brady
Arm strength -   Mahomes
Accuracy - Brady
Touch - Brady
Field vision -  Tie
Pocket presence -  Brady
Decision-making -  Brady
Second-reaction ability -  Mahomes
Clutch -  Tier

Here's the rub for me.  Ties to me are pretty obvious in that they are just so close.  Wherever I took Brady, it was by a very, very small amount and I wouldn't fight anyone who sees it as Mahomes.  But when I took Mahomes?  He is far away superior to Brady, as in it isn't even close.

To me the things that makes Mahomes better than Brady are just vaulted up there much higher than Brady.

And the things that makes Brady better than Mahomes are really, really minute.

So even thought Brady "won" this contest for me due to his "wins", Mahomes impresses me more.  And he is who I would say is "better".

Edited by vegas492

Leadership - Mahomes
- The first 7 years the Patriots were partly led by Brady but also very much led by their defensive personalities. Mahomes has been the unquestioned leader of the Chiefs.

Competitiveness - Mahomes
- This isn’t the sportsmanship category, Brady was more humble in his first few seasons at least. Mahomes has been carrying himself as if he was the best QB in the league since his first season. Mahomes will do literally whatever it takes to win. Whether that’s game the sideline, run on a bad ankle, scramble, and/or pocket pass. Plus his performance goes to a higher level in the playoffs when the talent of his opponents increase. Thus I think that proves the point.

Toughness - Tie
- Brady played within an era that was more physical and he didn’t at least initially get the Jordan treatment at least, however Mahomes was running for crucial yards on an ankle sprain, he takes harder hits pass the LOS, and plays with more reckless abandon than Brady. Whereas Brady was quick to eat the sack if he felt there was no hope of escape.

Mechanics - Brady
- I’ll give Brady this. He had to have the proper mechanics as he wasn’t as talented overall.

Arm strength - Mahomes
- The throws Mahomes makes with just arm strength makes this not even close.

Accuracy - Mahomes
- Brady was accurate while throwing with proper mechanics in the pocket, Mahomes is accurate while throwing off platform and switching up his arm angle to avoid the defender from blocking his passing lane. What are we talking about?

Touch - Mahomes
- Read the above, only replace accuracy with touch.

Field vision - Brady
- I’ll give this to Brady, he was an elite game manager and could make plays to change the game from just the pocket. He could throw guys open without the benefit of the second play that could be cultivated with the kind of legs that could scramble around.

Pocket presence - Mahomes
While Brady could move around the pocket and make plays better than you would’ve thought considering his athleticism, this isn’t close. Mahomes ability to feel pressure, spin out, and manipulate the pocket for 9 seconds can only be rivaled by few in NFL history.

- The NFL is perhaps a bit easier to play in within today’s game as it becomes more basketball on grass, so I should lead with that, yet Mahomes has the unique ability to understand when to wear the cape and when not to. Early Brady was also a great decision maker as well, yet he really only had one mode of play. So I feel he had less to worry about suppressing or highlighting. 

- Not entirely sure what this is, but I assume it’s essentially the ability to sense where to go with the football when the original play design breaks down. Though it could also mean the reaction time make a play at the last second as a defender is converging on you… in which case, Mahomes would easily take either category IMO.

Clutch - Mahomes
- I’m confused how people are really giving this to Brady. For the early part of Brady’s career his team was down and needing field goals to win and he to his credit got them that. Brady was also a game manager during the first playoff run, nothing more. Meanwhile Mahomes had the comeback against Allen where he needed a touchdown in what 13 seconds? And he got it. We’ve seen multiple times where Mahomes was down and needed touchdowns for him to complete comebacks and he got it.

He’s also been down and needed FGs, but the disparity between the two in expectation of those moments is absolutely in favor of Mahomes. No question. The only argument Brady has for clutch over Mahomes is if we’re factoring in his entire career, but this is asking exclusively for just the first 7 seasons. If we want to use 4QC and GWD is Brady with 16 and 24 to Mahomes with 19 and 22 (including playoffs), but again when factoring in needing field goals to win vs needing TDs for one more often than the other and that I think clearly gives Mahomes the edge.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 6:34 AM, MaddHatter said:

Also not to an opposing team's player, but to the ref himself.

I think the point still stands that trying to paint Brady as this guy who never complained or did anything "crybaby" esque is just...hilariously false.

I distinctly remember a play where Haloti Ngata hit Brady as he was throwing and Brady threw a full-on temper tantrum on the ground begging for a flag from the ref. There used to be a gif of it but I can't find it anymore.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think the point still stands that trying to paint Brady as this guy who never complained or did anything "crybaby" esque is just...hilariously false.

I distinctly remember a play where Haloti Ngata hit Brady as he was throwing and Brady threw a full-on temper tantrum on the ground begging for a flag from the ref. There used to be a gif of it but I can't find it anymore.

Sure Brady would never "complain about a correct call and lose the game because of it" - an oddly specific defense. It's like something biggie used to say unironically.

3xX5YCe.gif

• Like 3