Mock Offseason: 2nd Draft

rdelaney89

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

I sort of agree about getting the pass rusher. I think if they go defense early (god help us) it’s going to be a corner.

If we landed Cousins and no longer had the major hole at QB I'd be ok with a 1st round CB.  Our pass defense is not good so why not.  As long as the value is right that is.

14 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Aside from doubling up on edge rushers, which lets be honest here, the Jets haven't drafted an edge rusher in a decade, they're not going to all of a sudden draft two for a coach who has essentially never utilized them even going back to his Arizona days, this is the most Jets mock draft I've ever seen. 

Bowles had Alex Okafor, Calais Cambell, John Abraham, & Karlos Dansby to get after the QB when he was with the Cardinals so not exactly sure what you mean.

You can't really hold Macc accountable for past regimes he wasn't a part of. Outside of our first year with him he's pretty consistently double dipped. LB with Jenkins and Lee in 2016, Safety with Adams and Maye, WR with Stewart and Hansen in 2017.

When Macc was with the Texans he doubled up quite a few times:

2009 - TE & CB

2010 - TE

2011 - DE & CB

2012 - WR

2013 - WR & DE

2014 - DE 

This year I see the Pass Rush as being a focal point since there are no real options available in FA.

34 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I sort of agree about getting the pass rusher. I think if they go defense early (god help us) it’s going to be a corner.

I don't think they'll go corner early unless we sign a QB and don't sign Johnson/Butler and all the Edge Rushers are off the board. I think with the cap space we have it would be a mistake not to address CB in FA.

58 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

That seems to be too much to trade up 3 spots. There has to be an example where someone trades up a few spots to land a QB in the Top 10. Trading up like that seems more reasonable than going all the way up to 1 though. But I cant see why our first and our second doesn't get that trade done. 

Edit: Tried looking for some examples but couldn't. 

Yea it's almost impossible to trade up for a QB and not give up at least 1 premium pick. If you are trading up it's because another team is threatening to take that QB creating competition. We have better picks in the 1st and 2nd than the Cardinals so I think the Cardinals offer next years 1st making us pony up the higher pick instead of the 2nd. Something interesting I'm only just thinking of now is I wonder if Bowles has any idea which QB that the Cardinals prefer since he knows Arians. 

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

I like it all too except the one big thing - Mayfield. 

Unless he lights up Georgia and Alabama, he’s too risky of a pick for me.

I think he will light them up and win the National Title which is why the trade up is needed. If he implodes against Georgia and they lose that will certainly hurt his draft stock. Until a team stops him I have to assume he's going to continue to trend upwards.

4 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

I miss -read tbh I thought we were swapping this year and giving up two additional first rounders. That's my bad. Even still, Mayfield in this scenario is the 4th QB off the board and it's a 3 pick swap with Lamar and Mayfield still on the board.  I could see us giving up a 2nd or 3rd and some late round picks to make that happen but Mac is too much of a build through the draft guy to give up a first round pick. 

I think if there is no competition to trade up then we give up a 2nd or 3rd but in this scenario I have the Cardinals bidding with us and they'd have to give up next years 1st in order to beat our 2nd rounder this year.

42 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If we landed Cousins and no longer had the major hole at QB I'd be ok with a 1st round CB.  Our pass defense is not good so why not.  As long as the value is right that is.

Agreed I'm fine with CB if QB is already taken care of and we were unable to sign some combo of Claiborne/Johnson/Butler. In that situation I think we still double dip at pass rusher too.

27 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Bowles had Alex Okafor, Calais Cambell, John Abraham, & Karlos Dansby to get after the QB when he was with the Cardinals so not exactly sure what you mean.

You can't really hold Macc accountable for past regimes he wasn't a part of. Outside of our first year with him he's pretty consistently double dipped. LB with Jenkins and Lee in 2016, Safety with Adams and Maye, WR with Stewart and Hansen in 2017.

When Macc was with the Texans he doubled up quite a few times:

2009 - TE & CB

2010 - TE

2011 - DE & CB

2012 - WR

2013 - WR & DE

2014 - DE 

This year I see the Pass Rush as being a focal point since there are no real options available in FA.

1. And the Jets have Kony Ealy, Muhammad Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, Jordan Jenkins and Demario Davis.  So, why are we naming players again?  The Cardinals had Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu too.  What does that have to do with their lack of edge rushers?  John Abraham might have been one, but he was a cheap free agent acquisition who worked out for the Cardinals.  Not exactly the same as dropping a second and third rounder on the position.  Oh, certainly the Cardinals made edge rushers a priority and invested picks like that trading for Chandler Jones and drafting Markus Golden..... the moment Todd Bowles left. 

2. Please stop telling me I can't hold the Jets GM accountable as if they hired him fifteen minutes ago.  They've had their shots at pass rushers with their current GM just as they did with prior ones.  They could have drafted Vic Beasley.  They didn't.  They could have drafted a whole host of edge rushers this past year in the second or third rounds.  Instead they chose to repeatedly trade down and draft backup wide receivers.  From everything I've seen, the Jets draft outside linebackers, they draft edge setters, because that's what they utilize. 

Edit: Just to clarify point 1, I don't remember Abraham and Okafor being a dominant edge rushing force with Bowles, but they put up decent enough sack numbers, so maybe I'm wrong.  IIRC, a lot of those sacks came from a dominating secondary consistently shutting down opposing receivers long enough for someone to get to the opposing quarterback, but again, could be misremembering that. 

18 minutes ago, Crickett said:

1. And the Jets have Kony Ealy, Muhammad Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, Jordan Jenkins and Demario Davis.  So, why are we naming players again?  The Cardinals had Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu too.  What does that have to do with their lack of edge rushers?  John Abraham might have been one, but he was a cheap free agent acquisition who worked out for the Cardinals.  Not exactly the same as dropping a second and third rounder on the position.  Oh, certainly the Cardinals made edge rushers a priority and invested picks like that trading for Chandler Jones and drafting Markus Golden..... the moment Todd Bowles left. 

2. Please stop telling me I can't hold the Jets GM accountable as if they hired him fifteen minutes ago.  They've had their shots at pass rushers with their current GM just as they did with prior ones.  They could have drafted Vic Beasley.  They didn't.  They could have drafted a whole host of edge rushers this past year in the second or third rounds.  Instead they chose to repeatedly trade down and draft backup wide receivers.  From everything I've seen, the Jets draft outside linebackers, they draft edge setters, because that's what they utilize. 

Edit: Just to clarify point 1, I don't remember Abraham and Okafor being a dominant edge rushing force with Bowles, but they put up decent enough sack numbers, so maybe I'm wrong.  IIRC, a lot of those sacks came from a dominating secondary consistently shutting down opposing receivers long enough for someone to get to the opposing quarterback, but again, could be misremembering that. 

Dude I think your lost, we don't care who you hold accountable or what you think the Jets should and will do.  You want to come and comment on the mock go for it but don't come in here with "the most Jets draft ever" nonsense.

The Jets drafted multiple mid round OLB's since Bowles and Mac paired up so taking two mid rounders isn't a major stretch when Ealy is a FA, Wilk is about to be cut, and Mauldin has been injury prone and down to his last chance.  Thanks for stopping by though.

48 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Dude I think your lost, we don't care who you hold accountable or what you think the Jets should and will do.  You want to come and comment on the mock go for it but don't come in here with "the most Jets draft ever" nonsense.

Yeah.   You're right.  I am lost, I was looking for a football forum where I could discuss things.  My mistake. 

My final words in this thread, in the same way I think this is the most Jets mock draft ever aside from the edge rushers, I think I just had the most Jets discussion ever.   Ta-ta.

42 minutes ago, Crickett said:

You said Bowles never used pass rushers, I gave you the names of the players he used to rush the passer.

46 minutes ago, Crickett said:

You can certainly hold Macc accountable for the moves he's made, you can't hold him accountable for Tanny or Idzik moves though. They could have taken Beasley, it's nice to have hindsight to use for an advantage instead of taking the consensus best player in the draft at a position that would replace the player that refused to sign a long term deal with the team because he kept wanting more and more money. You do realize that taking Leonard Williams is allowing us to cut Mo and allowed us to get Kearse and a 2nd that could very well be used to draft our QBOTF this year. Looking back yes I'd love to have Beasley but the value was not there for him given what people thought of his as a prospect.

2015 top 100 Player Rankings - Mike Mayock

Matt Miller's top available players2015 draft

Kacy Rodgers has good history of developing pass rushers.  Maudin could be his first Jet edge but he has been struggling since he injured spinal cord.  Jordan Jenkins can do anything but finishing something off fast.

Jets under Rodgers/Bowles have been disappointing in that department but just don't stop trying to find one.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Kacy Rodgers has good history of developing pass rushers.  Maudin could be his first Jet edge but he has been struggling since he injured spinal cord.  Jordan Jenkins can do anything but finishing something off fast.

Jets under Rodgers/Bowles have been disappointing in that department but just don't stop trying to find one.

I have more confidence in Greene getting the most out of an edge rusher than Rodgers. I like Josh Sweat a lot in the draft. I think our coaches can get our hands on him and take a raw skill set and make it really scary.

5 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

What round can we land Sweat in? Is he a guaranteed 1st rounder or could we spend a 2nd on him and land him? That is important.

Bc he’s so raw I think he will go in early Round 2. I have him in my mock being drafted by us with our 1st 2nd Rounder. I think Greene can make him a great pass rusher. 

Archived