Bob Sanders

mdonnelly21

9 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

It’s factual, not interesting. He was always the “extra defender” in the box that teams couldn’t account for. It allowed him to make a ton of splash plays as the unblocked defender. It doesn’t mean he wasn’t amazing…but not sure how you plan on spinning this to not be true?

So...He performed the role of a Strong Safety but did it at a level his peers couldn't do. This is like saying Ed Reed was schemed into being so good since he was allowed to just play FS and almost never had to play man or come into the box; it's an ignorant argument that doesn't understand the most basic of NFL scheming.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

So...He performed the role of a Strong Safety but did it at a level his peers couldn't do. This is like saying Ed Reed was schemed into being so good since he was allowed to just play FS and almost never had to play man or come into the box; it's an ignorant argument that doesn't understand the most basic of NFL scheming.

Ok. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Imagine saying this and claiming Bob Sanders was actually good in coverage... Troy was outstanding in coverage.

I remember watching Troy get burned countless times. Like for example watching Larry Fitzgerald dominate him in the SB. Like nowhere to be found either. 

57 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I remember watching Troy get burned countless times. Like for example watching Larry Fitzgerald dominate him in the SB. Like nowhere to be found either. 

Fitzgerald only had 1 catch after 3 quarters in this game....Yes he had a great fourth quarter but Fitzgerald also had one of the best playoff runs ever for a receiver in 2008, so outside of the long TD, nothing shameful in that especially that Fitzgerald was even better game against the Eagles with Dawkins as one of their safeties

The Steelers were a Super Bowl caliber team in the period from 2004 to 2010 when Polamalu was healthy but that was not the case, it was a struggle for the Steelers to make the playoffs because of so many fourth quarter collapse on defense like in 2009.

Polamalu is a top 10 safety ever easily and argument can be made as a top 5...Top 25 is an all-time joke!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Soko said:

Now Eric Berry had Ed Reed esque coverage ability too?

Does being a +safety at playing coverage automatically give you Ed Reed-like abilities?

Nah, this thread is about Bob Sanders. Eric Berry is comparable to Bob Sanders in that his career was completely derailed and he's firmly in "What could have been" status.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Nah, this thread is about Bob Sanders. Eric Berry is comparable to Bob Sanders in that his career was completely derailed and he's firmly in "What could have been" status.

Dude said he compared Berry to Reed out of college. Another said Sean Taylor had Reed like coverage abilities. Thread started saying Bob was close to Ed in coverage.

None were close, lol. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soko said:

Dude said he compared Berry to Reed out of college. Another said Sean Taylor had Reed like coverage abilities. Thread started saying Bob was close to Ed in coverage.

None were close, lol. 

MB, I originally brought up Eric Berry for the reasons I gave.

I think comparing him to Reed out of college makes sense. Eric Berry was an 'alltime great prospect' but clearly didn't play to Reed's level in the NFL. I don't think any safety will ever match that level of play, but Berry (and Sean Taylor) were probably more highly rated as prospects. Obviously that means nothing in hindsight though.

I was too young to really watch Ronnie Lott and I don't really know anything about Houston or Tunnell.

Brian Dawkins was probably the 2nd best I've seen.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

MB, I originally brought up Eric Berry for the reasons I gave.

I think comparing him to Reed out of college makes sense. Eric Berry was an 'alltime great prospect' but clearly didn't play to Reed's level in the NFL. I don't think any safety will ever match that level of play, but Berry (and Sean Taylor) were probably more highly rated as prospects. Obviously that means nothing in hindsight though.

I was too young to really watch Ronnie Lott and I don't really know anything about Houston or Tunnell.

Brian Dawkins was probably the 2nd best I've seen.

Berry/Taylor/Sanders the prospects compared to Reed the prospect, or Reed the professional? 

1 hour ago, mdonnelly21 said:

You mean Larry beating Ike Taylor... You're a fool.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Soko said:

None were close, lol. 

This thread will go down in histroy with some of the worst revisionist takes I've ever seen...

38 minutes ago, Soko said:

Berry/Taylor/Sanders the prospects compared to Reed the prospect, or Reed the professional? 

Berry and Taylor were probably better prospects than Reed (prospect). Reed has no comparison as a pro... Unrivaled. Bob Sanders wasn't as good of a prospect as the other guys, and probably wasn't as good of a pro either.

Edited by nagahide13

On 3/1/2024 at 7:43 PM, Soko said:

Ed Reed slander ITT.

No one in NFL history was like Ed Reed in terms of centerfield ability, and playing mind games with QBs. 

Stylistically, you might put prime Earl Thomas there as a pure deep guy, but even then you’re missing the playmaking and clowning on the NFL geniuses. 

Sean Taylor could hit harder, but he doesn’t sniff Ed as a pure cover guy.

Night Train Lane was a different era but one could argue that he was the Ed Reed of his generation and equally, maybe even more so, dominant 

4 hours ago, Soko said:

None were close, lol. 

Sean Taylor could cover anyone. Hell, he was frequently one on one with teams top receivers. And by year 4, when he was killed mid-season he was probably on his way to DPOY. Honestly, its gotten to the point for me that I hate when he's brought up. Fans of teams that hardly ever saw him play say he was overrated or some silly stuff. Most don't even remember how good he was and it starts turning into some slander about how he couldn't cover and was only a big hitter.

I get it, I'm a Redskins fan and I'm biased but in my 38-years I have never seen a better player put on the Redskins uniform. We have never had anything like him since to come even remotely close. Maybe one year of RG3? But honestly its the only time I remember ever having a true phenom on the team. He was unbelievable to watch every Sunday. I don't think my team will ever have another safety who practically won games for us by himself. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sean Taylor could cover anyone. Hell, he was frequently one on one with teams top receivers. And by year 4, when he was killed mid-season he was probably on his way to DPOY. Honestly, its gotten to the point for me that I hate when he's brought up. Fans of teams that hardly ever saw him play say he was overrated or some silly stuff. Most don't even remember how good he was and it starts turning into some slander about how he couldn't cover and was only a big hitter.

I get it, I'm a Redskins fan and I'm biased but in my 38-years I have never seen a better player put on the Redskins uniform. We have never had anything like him since to come even remotely close. Maybe one year of RG3? But honestly it’s the only time I remember ever having a true phenom on the team. He was unbelievable to watch every Sunday. I don't think my team will ever have another safety who practically won games for us by himself. 

He was an elite, young player. Was absolutely awesome, I’m not calling him overrated.

I’m saying he didn’t do what Ed Reed did as a FS. Dude would mind game Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and win.