Bob Sanders

mdonnelly21

The way I remember Bob Sanders is 

A Cross between Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins 

He had close to the Coverage ability of Ed Reed and close to the same hitting power of Brian Dawkins. 

He was just too small so injuries derailed what could have been a HOF career. 

37 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

A Cross between Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins 

He had close to the Coverage ability of Ed Reed and close to the same hitting power of Brian Dawkins. 

He was just too small so injuries derailed what could have been a HOF career. 

I don't think his coverage ability is anywhere close to Reed. But he was a good thumper, for sure.

• Like 5

He was one of the most impactful defensive players in the NFL for the short time he was healthy- I'm not sure they win the Super Bowl without him being such a huge presence in that playoff run

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Pretty remarkable he was able to get 2 1st Team All-Pro selections in the same era where Troy Polamalu, and Ed Reed were in the prime of their careers. 

I always thought Troy was overrated. 

I watched him get burned a lot in the secondary. Like a Lot more than his percieved image would say... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Nah he was more Troy Polamalu than Ed Reed. Reed has coverage instincts like nobody in the NFL ever. Sanders wasn't that guy. Picture a 5'8 Kam Chancellor, actually.

Troy imo played a lot closer to the LOS and was forcing fumbles and blitzing a lot more imo. 

I mean yeah Reeds career is the greatest cover safety of all time comfortably. I'm just saying for those 2 pro bowl seasons I thought was comparable. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I don't think his coverage ability is anywhere close to Reed. But he was a good thumper, for sure.

It sure looked like it often. Especially against my Bears in the SB having 3 pics. And just generally speaking a very good cover guy. Better Troy and at least as good as Dawkins in coverage. 

Edited by mdonnelly21

23 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

It sure looked like it often. Especially against my Bears in the SB having 3 pics. And just generally speaking a very good cover guy. Better Troy and at least as good as Dawkins in coverage. 

Sanders had one INT in that Super Bowl. 

11 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

close to the Coverage ability of Ed Reed a

I don’t believe that your memory and reality coincide.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I always thought Troy was overrated. 

I watched him get burned a lot in the secondary. Like a Lot more than his percieved image would say... 

He was

98% of the people who chose Troy in those old school Reed vs Troy threads back in the day were steelers fans. The vast majority of the rest of the world was on Reed

• Like 3