Jordan Love

SLCbear

I need help understanding what I saw from him this season and what his ceiling is. 

Hopefully Packers fan will weigh in here.

We all saw him struggling and look pretty ordinary until the last few games of the season and into the POs.

Did LaFleur's latest system come together superbly and catch fire at the perfect time, or does more credit go to Love ???? 

I saw receivers running free EVERYWHERE ! Kind of hard not to look great in a system like that. Earlier in the season (and last season some as well) when WRs were not running free all over the place, and Love had to make a play, he looked pretty ordinary. 

Is Love a stud or a system qb benefiting from LeFleurs latest iteration ??! 

What % is system genius, and what % is Love ??

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

I need help understanding what I saw from him this season and what his ceiling is. 

Hopefully Packers fan will weigh in here.

We all saw him struggling and look pretty ordinary until the last few games of the season and into the POs.

Did LaFleur's latest system come together superbly and catch fire at the perfect time, or does more credit go to Love ???? 

I saw receivers running free EVERYWHERE ! Kind of hard not to look great in a system like that. Earlier in the season (and last season some as well) when WRs were not running free all over the place, and Love had to make a play, he looked pretty ordinary. 

Is Love a stud or a system qb benefiting from LeFleurs latest iteration ??! 

What % is system genius, and what % is Love ??

I think there was a big mix of things.

MLF is a damn good playcaller, idc what anyone says. I do think Johnson is the best pkaycaller in the NFC North, but MLF is a damn good HC and is at worst the 2nd best playcaller in the NFCN. Until I see Campbell win without Johnson I am calling MLF the best HC in the division. Might have some situational head scratchers or something but that's every coach.

He also has a good staff on the offensive sifmde of the ball. Clements has a TON of experience with QB development and Stenavich is one of the best OL coaches (he's their non-playcalling OC) in the league, and they groom their own to move up. They have Butkus as thr OL coach under him learning to do things like him, and if/when he gets a playcallong OC shot then you know Butkus will step up and take the reins there. They (and MLF) were Ble to scheme around issues like Bak going down again and trying to fill that role, but we're pretty healthy on the OL. That's a massive help.

But their WR and TE corps were crazy young. Watson missed half the season, Dobbs was in his 2nd year, Reed was a rookie, Wicks a rookie, Musgrave and Kraft were rookies, etc and all played significant reps, a lot of them starting 6 or more games. Love knows the system but they were still learning it. Remember how Rodgers would scramble and the entire WR corps would adjust their routes? They don't have that level of comfort yet.

So I think the early season was that people didnt know how things would change with the shift from Rodgers, but the young guys were adjusting to NFL speed too. There was an ebb and flow of the offense getting their feet, then defenses adjusting, then the young Packers adjusting and learning, etc through the season. You also see they really got dedicated to running the ball too, which does nothing but help the young QB, WRs, and TEs. The OL got to own the LOS for the bulk of the games and Love was able to make the simple plays well enough to keep the offense going. When they got a shot he took it. A bit over half his TDs were outside of 10 yards out so even when it was "& goal" MLF was putting the ball in Love's hands. He also lead the team in rushing TDs as Jones was beat up early on (getting him healthy late was a huge boost for them). So it's hard to knock Love.

Now am I saying Love is deserving of getting a monster deal right now? Hell no. But he definitely outplayed my expectations and MLF had his best performance as a HC/playcaller yet imo. Right now I'm giving MLF more credit but you can't really diminish what Love did with such an inexperienced supporting cast. There were a lot of guys open but Love still got the right reads and usually delivered the catchable ball.

He had some games last year where he flat sucked.  Couldn't hit a barn.  

Then he had a stretch at end where he played really good.  He played really good against Bears which sucked.  

I dunno.  Lafluer is a great coach.  He also had young receivers that were growing with him.   He also should get his credit for making some really good throws during that stretch.  

I think jury is still out.   I hope he holds out and they pay him a billion dollars.

• Like 2

I'll be honest...these questions truly won't be answered until next offseason...I will say the same for CJ Stroud...both were excellent this season...but I remember Derek Anderson throwing for nearly 3,800 yards and 29 TDs back in 2007...

I am with Poles on that QBs have to stack season after season to be great...let's see what DCs do to these guys next season.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'll be honest...these questions truly won't be answered until next offseason...I will say the same for CJ Stroud...both were excellent this season...but I remember Derek Anderson throwing for nearly 3,800 yards and 29 TDs back in 2007...

I am with Poles on that QBs have to stack season after season to be great...let's see what DCs do to these guys next season.

Bortles had a really productive season while having ARob and a bunch of JAGs and a crappy OL (I believe? Not looking it up), then dropped off a cliff. 

There are a ton of one-hit wonders, but you need to show consistency to be worth a big deal. GB could flop or be a hell of a paid for the next 10+ years, just have to wait and see.