Bears trade 2024 5th for IOL Ryan Bates

AZBearsFan

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it gives us a good barometer for what a healthy-in-2024 Teven Jenkins might fetch next offseason too. If we invest heavily in FA at C this offseason that may be beyond what Poles would consider to keep him. 

Even if Poles is penciling in Bates as center for 2024 you still need another one in FA and you would like to have him in Spring.  

36 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it gives us a good barometer for what a healthy-in-2024 Teven Jenkins might fetch next offseason too. If we invest heavily in FA at C this offseason that may be beyond what Poles would consider to keep him. 

I really wish they had extended him with a incentive heavy contract,  based msotly around games played, in which the total value represents high end guard money. 

4 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I really wish they had extended him with an incentive heavy contract,  based msotly around games played, in which the total value represents high end guard money. 

They still can. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They still can. 

Sorry, meant to say before the cap went up, and I feel like doing that kind of deal early means the total value can be less.  If they did that I think it's best for all sides as he's such an impact player but also misses a ton of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

They still can. 

But why would Jenkins take that deal right now?

You can always say injury, but if he gets banged up this year again, hes likely looking a that same type of incentive deal, where if he stays healthy and dominates, maybe makes a Pro Bowl, hes looking at a potentially massive deal

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You can always say injury, but if he gets banged up this year again, hes likely looking a that same type of incentive deal, where if he stays healthy and dominates, maybe makes a Pro Bowl, hes looking at a potentially massive deal

They know the score on his health as well as the team does.  It would be risky to gamble on getting a full season and then expecting teams to just overlook the first couple years of his career.  Plus you could give him what is essentially that massive deal, so long as as he plays all the games.  Seems a bit better to get more money right away, with the prospect of making a lot more if your health holds up, than to play on the rookie deal, with prospect of getting paid if your health holds up.

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Oh, I don’t think he’d take it right now either. Just that the team could still pursue it if they wanted to do so. 

• Like 1