Bears trade 2024 5th for IOL Ryan Bates

AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

There is some value to certainty for sure (Bates has shown to be quality depth at both G and, briefly, at C), plus Bates is just 27 years old. I think the trade also may be indicative of a few other things:

-Poles expects to replace that draft capital with a trade or trades (Fields for sure and possibly a move down on draft day)

-Poles isn’t excited by what he sees in the bottom of the draft, to the extent that he already likes the developmental depth on his roster more than that which he would get from a pick in R5. Remember, we’ve drafted 21 players in the past 2 cycles and 17 of them (all but Trestan Ebner, Travis Bell, Kendall Williamson and Zach Thomas) are still on our roster at the moment.

And some of those players are Velus Jones.. that said they could also be a Braxton Jones, or a Jack (Jones) Sanborn. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

-Despite having pretty clearly defined needs we only have so many roster spots to fill, and Poles may be seeking more veterans to fill those spots this year than in past years. I’d say as of right now we only need 2024 starters at 6 positions: QB, WR2, WR3, C, DE2, S. From that list, QB and at least one other will be addressed with our two 1st round picks, and we’ll have about $60M in cap space after signing/tagging Johnson to address the others. 

The part of me that likes to discuss our heating bill at length with the wife ("It's not icicles on the ceiling fans, just frost!") I initially hate the idea of losing draft capital when they're clearly so focused on building up a young team, but a fifth round pick is no guarantee, and this guy at least can play and given the whack-a-mole nature of the Bears' O Line it makes a ton of sense to have a guy who can move around.  Also it's not like he has to sign this guy to a big contract right away like Sweat, so it's a small investment to be there when Davis has just seen "Coco"  or Jenkins ruptures his marsupium.   In the case against, you can point to Poles' history of being a buyer with trades which is pretty mixed.  Obviously the Claypool delirium, or when Feeney brought us those wondeful feelings of agreement with his love of beer and having a mustache.  In the time it took me to write this I've processed all my feelings about the trade and am ready to move on. 

18 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

Nice...  A good pick up, should allow Jenkins to move to the right in some situation.  Now, we just need a starting C and a 1st Round WR.... and some backups on the offense.

and a qb

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If they see Bates as a guy who can be even a short term starter at C though, I wonder if that doesn’t put Connor Williams on our radar next week. A healthy Williams is the prize of this FA at center. Does Bates’ presence give them comfort in signing the not-yet-recovered Williams and giving him time to heal? I’d be ALL for that, and it would explain jumping the line with the trade to get their preferred stop gap guy in case Williams isn’t ready by September. 

ohh i like that. Gives Williams an appropriate runway, then when he's back, gives us great depth along the interior and also a possible replacement in 2025 for either of our current starting OGs

• Like 1

The twitter folk are saying the lack of insider predictions on this trade is evidence that Bears may still keep Fields. 

No one really knows and they are making it all up.  

I think there may be some truth to that depending on reporter, but there are insiders with real sources.  They don’t put a bug in an office or a glass to a wall.   They get fed information by agents and GMs.   It is a system in which everyone benefits.  

People can also look at evidence and behavior and reach reasoned conclusions.  

40 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

Nice...  A good pick up, should allow Jenkins to move to the right in some situation.  Now, we just need a starting C and a 1st Round WR.... and some backups on the offense.

Why bother moving Jenkins again? Not being snarky, genuinely asking. 

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The twitter folk are saying the lack of insider predictions on this trade is evidence that Bears may still keep Fields. 

No one really knows and they are making it all up.  

I think there may be some truth to that depending on reporter, but there are insiders with real sources.  They don’t put a bug in an office or a glass to a wall.   They get fed information by agents and GMs.   It is a system in which everyone benefits.  

People can also look at evidence and behavior and reach reasoned conclusions.  

Twitter is a wild place.  This isn’t some blockbuster deal.  It’s a day 3 pick for a backup OL.  Not sure how people are trying to draw conclusions and connect the dots to a fields trade from this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Twitter is a wild place.  This isn’t some blockbuster deal.  It’s a day 3 pick for a backup OL.  Not sure how people are trying to draw conclusions and connect the dots to a fields trade from this.

Twitter comments on every post by the Bears or about the Bears from a major source are “Keep Fields” or “Draft Caleb”. Peoples’ obsession about the whole thing in the 1% or the fan base Twitter represents is well beyond out of control. 

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

And some of those players are Velus Jones.. that said they could also be a Braxton Jones, or a Jack (Jones) Sanborn.

For sure - I wasn’t meaning to imply that they’re all good or long term guys for us - only that we already have a ton of young guys somewhere in their developing stage on the roster. 

59 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I pop on and off at work and even with just that it wastes a lot of my time (here too).  But people are on there 24/7.   Posting and commenting constantly.  That's why the theories can get so radical.  

I don't know how they are getting anything done.   The people who do it for a living are one thing - but the others.   They are hurting themselves I think.  It is an addiction.  

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

100%.

Also, it probably went like this.  Buffalo GM - we are going to cut this guy.  Call Poles real quick and see if he will give us anything before we do.  I know he likes him.  

They did.  He did.   There wasn't any need to put information out into the world on this deal prior to it happening.  Nobody cared.  

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People are so starved for information and news.

The Bates trade is not a move to hate or love.  It is meh.  There's a thing we just did.   

Should be plenty of actual news over the next week before the FA flurry of it next week.