Bears trade 2024 5th for IOL Ryan Bates

AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

People are so starved for information and news.

The Bates trade is not a move to hate or love.  It is meh.  There's a thing we just did.   

Hes almost assuredly at worst our 6th OL, which is a very useful spot in the NFL. I dont see that as "meh"

• Like 2

I’m here for some sanity. Fans on the other apps are acting like we traded a 2nd rounder for Bates. People complaining about offensive line depth for a late round pick. My god our fan base outside of this website is REALLY stupid. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

I’m here for some sanity. Fans on the other apps are acting like we traded a 2nd rounder for Bates. People complaining about offensive line depth for a late round pick. My god our fan base outside of this website is REALLY stupid. 

I MEAN WE PRACTICALLY DID!!! I MEAN 5 MINUS 2 IS 3, SO TRADING A 5TH IS LIKE 3 2NDS!! (That checks out on mass fandom math, right?)

• Like 1

It's also to me an indication that we're likely trying to address the Center position in the draft..... Bates to me screams of the guy where you  bring him in as a solid starter, but also someone you're kind of expecting the rookie to beat him out and take the job.

He (imo) exists as insurance in case a rookie isn't ready to go week 1, in case we strike out getting one of our draft targets at the position entirely just via how the board shakes out, and/or as a solid backup in case something goes wrong health wise for someone else.  Also, he's good enough to where he could even potentially just outright compete for a job on the line in general which makes this deal fine in my book. This draft reportedly really starts dropping off hard around the 5th anyway, and I'd imagine we'll try and get a late rounder back in the deal for Fields.

Edited by Epyon

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Epyon said:

It's also to me an indication that we're likely trying to address the Center position in the draft..... Bates to me screams of the guy where you  bring him in as a solid starter, but also someone you're kind of expecting the rookie to beat him out and take the job.

He (imo) exists as insurance in case a rookie isn't ready to go week 1, in case we strike out getting one of our draft targets at the position entirely just via how the board shakes out, and/or as a solid backup in case something goes wrong health wise for someone else.  Also, he's good enough to where he could even potentially just outright compete for a job on the line in general which makes this deal fine in my book. This draft reportedly really starts dropping off hard around the 5th anyway, and I'd imagine we'll try and get a late rounder back in the deal for Fields.

Bates’ presence gives us options. Certainly drafting a guy and not having to force him into the lineup week 1 if he’s not ready is one of them. I think Bates’ presence gives us the chance to take a shot on Connor Williams in FA too where without a vet presence we may be far more reluctant to do so coming off his injury. Bates can bridge to Williams getting fully healthy if that’s needed. Worst case scenario now is a vet with whom Poles and Morgan seem very comfortable. Bates hasn’t played a ton, but when he has he’s held his own. That’s the floor now, and one that’s well worth a 5th round pick IMO. Much as we’re draft nerds around here we still need to recognize that the likelihood we get a guy in round 5 capable of starting in 2024 (if ever) at a sufficient level is pretty low.

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Huh.  The Bills released Mitch Morse, who I'd thought of as a better C than Bares. Grab both?

I’d be fine with it. Morse can still play - he was released for cap reasons. Definitely a short term option at age 32 though so he’s not my first choice. 

18 hours ago, Docknstein11 said:

our fan base inside this website is really stupid

3 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Huh.  The Bills released Mitch Morse, who I'd thought of as a better C than Bares. Grab both?

They just cut their 2023 starter and traded us their back up.  Interesting.

Just saw the Rams played Kevin Dotson $48 million over 3 years with $32 million guaranteed…if that is where the interior OL market is going to be in free agency then getting Bates for a 5th and only paying him less than a 4th over that over the next two years really is a great move.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Just saw the Rams played Kevin Dotson $48 million over 3 years with $32 million guaranteed…if that is where the interior OL market is going to be in free agency then getting Bates for a 5th and only paying him less than a 4th over that over the next two years really is a great move.

I think it gives us a good barometer for what a healthy-in-2024 Teven Jenkins might fetch next offseason too. If we invest heavily in FA at C this offseason that may be beyond what Poles would consider to keep him.