Avonte Maddox released, could return on a new deal

Meh.
I've seen so little of him recently it is like he was already gone.

In all likelihood I think Rodgers gets the first look.

If they take a CB to play slot I think it should be Abrams-Draine.
His deficiencies in college could be masked by moving inside.

Posted (edited)

@EaglesFlySBChampsHigh @IrishHooligan00 @Last Stand @Danger

Here is how this works.

A player retiring is the same as a cut or trade.  The only way the Eagles save additional money is if Kelce was to return signing bonus money.

Jason Kelce is a June 1st retirement ( cut ).  It will be 8.6 million dead and 1.5 million saved.  If you do not use the June 1st designation for Kelce, instead of 8.6 million dead in 2024 it would be 25 million dead.  OTC and Spotrac both say the same thing.

Jason Kelce signed a one year, $14.25 million contract with the Eagles. The contract is designed to allow the Eagles to carry Kelce on the roster until June of 2024 and place him on the retired list if he wants to retire in 2024. If he does not want to retire the Eagles would be able to sign him to an extension or would need to release him by early June.

The other June 1 release right now would have to be used for Fletcher Cox.  If he retires or wants to move on, the cut/trade/retirement would be 4.2 dead and 1.5 million saved.  If Cox leaves and is not a post June 1 designation, it becomes 14.3 million dead in 2024.

Fletcher Cox signed a one year $10 million contract with the Eagles. The contract is fully guaranteed. The final four years of the contract are essentially void years but are structured to allow for a post June 1 release in 2024.

46 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Fletch only gets u 4 million vs Maddox who gets u 7.

See above.  If Cox is not a June 1st cut, his cap hit goes from 5.7 million to 14.3 million.  The 14.3 million is the prorated signing bonus money in the red box below.

That is the problem with the void year contracts.  If the player is cut, traded or retires, all of that future cap money accelerates to the current year.

4.2+4.2+4.2+1.7=14.3.

No description available.

Edited by downundermike

Yeah that’s what I’ve heard. That’s why a lot of beat writers have said Bradberry being cut on a June first was dependent on retirements of certain players aka cox and kelce

the eagles would save a lot of money I believe if cox decides to play this year for the eagles. But other than that I believe the thought has been those June 1sts would be tied to those players 

• Like 1

It’s likely why howie made that whole show of Bradberry being under contract. With Kelce and cox likely retiring my guess is either Bradberry gets cut after June first, which I don’t know what benefits that provides vs a post June 1st designation, or they bring him into camp and see where he’s at