2024 Draft Talk

Figured it was about time to start chatting (hopefully) about the upcoming draft/our picks. What are everyone's thoughts on pick 8 and beyond?

Personally, I don't want to pick at 8 unless one of the top WRs are there. I know that seems unlikely, but if we are taking an EDGE or CB in the first (maybe even IDL), I'd prefer a smallish trade down like a swap at 15 for the Colts pick at the furthest. I see a scenario in which Odunze is there at 8 and the Colts start calling as Ballard loves his athletes. A trade would roughly be 15 and 46 for 8 and 109. Much more comfortable taking one of the defensive players there than at 8.

I see another scenario where we make a smaller trade with the Vikings (say 11, 108, and 2025 4th maybe for 8?) in order for them to make their path to 3-5 more practical for the team they trade with, similar to the Eagles trade up for Wentz in 2016)

If we stay at 8 and don't take the 3rd WR (if there), I don't have a lean when it comes to EDGE or CB, think I would prefer Newton to Murphy if we go IDL. At 43, Braswell, Robinson, or Kneeland at EDGE, Rakestraw or Melton at CB, maybe Jenkins at IDL, and I still think we need another receiver, so any of that tier of WR (Coleman, Piersall, McConkey, etc). 74 and 79, Trice or Ellis for EDGE, Ruke Orhorhoro or Michael Hall IDL, Paul or Amegadjie at OL, Polk at WR, and Hicks or Bullock at S. Maybe even take a swing at a QB here?

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Granted a lot of this will be changed once we start doing things in FA after some restructures/cuts/etc. I've seen the rumor about Reddick and speculation about Danna. Wouldn't mind bringing in Akhello Witherspoon and John Johnson to add to the secondary. Wasn't there speculation that Troy Reeder would follow Morris?

Whoever did the GM draft pulled off a masterclass trading down picking up an extra 2nd.

1. Latu

2a. McConkey

2b. Sweat

3a. Bullock

3b. Hart

4. Rattler

I would be floored if this is how our first 4 rounds looked. I would have probably went TJ Tampa where McConkey went and waited til the 3rd to go receiver but that's nitpicking. Great mix of value also meeting needs. Seems like there's a drop off after the first 3 edge's I would take Turner at 8 or either of the other 2 in a small trade down.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:09 AM, BowlesDawgDX said:

Figured it was about time to start chatting (hopefully) about the upcoming draft/our picks. What are everyone's thoughts on pick 8 and beyond?

Personally, I don't want to pick at 8 unless one of the top WRs are there. I know that seems unlikely, but if we are taking an EDGE or CB in the first (maybe even IDL), I'd prefer a smallish trade down like a swap at 15 for the Colts pick at the furthest. I see a scenario in which Odunze is there at 8 and the Colts start calling as Ballard loves his athletes. A trade would roughly be 15 and 46 for 8 and 109. Much more comfortable taking one of the defensive players there than at 8.

I see another scenario where we make a smaller trade with the Vikings (say 11, 108, and 2025 4th maybe for 8?) in order for them to make their path to 3-5 more practical for the team they trade with, similar to the Eagles trade up for Wentz in 2016)

If we stay at 8 and don't take the 3rd WR (if there), I don't have a lean when it comes to EDGE or CB, think I would prefer Newton to Murphy if we go IDL. At 43, Braswell, Robinson, or Kneeland at EDGE, Rakestraw or Melton at CB, maybe Jenkins at IDL, and I still think we need another receiver, so any of that tier of WR (Coleman, Piersall, McConkey, etc). 74 and 79, Trice or Ellis for EDGE, Ruke Orhorhoro or Michael Hall IDL, Paul or Amegadjie at OL, Polk at WR, and Hicks or Bullock at S. Maybe even take a swing at a QB here?

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Honestly, Colts would probably just give us 15 and 46 for 8. Simple, 2 for 1 trade.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 6:31 AM, scar988 said:

Honestly, Colts would probably just give us 15 and 46 for 8. Simple, 2 for 1 trade.

Who would the Colts be targeting?

I'm wondering if the Vikings can get QB4 at your #8 in a trade, or have to go higher? Probably depends on what the Gmen do at 6.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Who would the Colts be targeting?

I'm wondering if the Vikings can get QB4 at your #8 in a trade, or have to go higher? Probably depends on what the Gmen do at 6.

Probably Odunze or Nabers if they fell. 

And For the Vikings, it really depends on if at 8, McCarthy is there and whether the Falcons have multiple teams bidding. Because if it's multiple teams, it might cost 11 and 23 for just 8. If it's just the Vikings and say the Raiders, 11 and 23 with getting back 8 and 79 might end up being the trade (QB premium in effect there)

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

And For the Vikings, it really depends on if at 8, McCarthy is there and whether the Falcons have multiple teams bidding.

Because if it's multiple teams, it might cost 11 and 23 for just 8. If it's just the Vikings and say the Raiders, 11 and 23 with getting back 8 and 79 might end up being the trade (QB premium in effect there)

i hear ya. read ya. whatever ya.

and while there is a QB premium, there is also something to be said for acquiring two 1st round picks this year, which is what we have to deal with. no waiting a year, no wondering how high or low the pick will be. it's something that can be used on Night 1 of the draft.

we shall see....

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i hear ya. read ya. whatever ya.

and while there is a QB premium, there is also something to be said for acquiring two 1st round picks this year, which is what we have to deal with. no waiting a year, no wondering how high or low the pick will be. it's something that can be used on Night 1 of the draft.

we shall see....

YEah, and knowing that 1 is 3 picks later and the ohter is at 23 helps, but say it's Drake MAye and not JJ, there's a bigger market in that situation. Bidding wars are fun.

5 minutes ago, scar988 said:

YEah, and knowing that 1 is 3 picks later and the ohter is at 23 helps, but say it's Drake MAye and not JJ, there's a bigger market in that situation. Bidding wars are fun.

i'm not sure there is. who would be bidding other than possibly MINN, DEN, and LV?

• 2 weeks later...