SNF: Dalls Cowboys @ Oakland Raiders

riceman80

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

Is now a good time to talk about the potential of the NFL making DPI a 15-yard penalty instead of a spot foul? Throwing up a 55 yard hail mary on 4th down to get your team into field goal is just lolworthy. And yes, I'm aware of the irony in that I'm a Ravens fan asking for this.

Even if they did that, there would have to be some concession (which means more rules and situations for referees to foul up with interpretation) as far as immediate clock stoppage at the moment the foul was committed (resetting the clock if necessary) and not starting again until the ball is snapped by a lined-up offense, because otherwise you'll see DB's just immediately grab any receiver further than 15 yards down the field during two-minute drills, figuring to just use up the clock by only allowing the offense to advance in 15-yard increments.

3 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Is now a good time to talk about the potential of the NFL making DPI a 15-yard penalty instead of a spot foul? Throwing up a 55 yard hail mary on 4th down to get your team into field goal is just lolworthy. And yes, I'm aware of the irony in that I'm a Ravens fan asking for this.

While I'm for it the main argument against that will be that defensive backs will just commit PI if they know they are beat deep on a play. Better to move the sticks than give up six.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

DB's just immediately grab any receiver further than 15 yards down the field during two-minute drills

Unless the ball is in the air that is just holding, a 5 yard penalty that they can do now. If the ball is in the air and you are close enough to the receiver to grab him why not just defend the pass. Now if the receiver is breaking in a different direction or you are out of position when the ball arrives then it could be beneficial but they do that anyways, the penalty would be less but I don't know if there would be much "intentional DPI" happening.

Archived