How does the team improve the OL?

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Cosmi really struggled in space. He belongs inside, IMO. I think creating a hole by moving him to an unnatural position is not improving. 

Keep Cosmi at guard, where he actually played well and looked more natural. His athleticism fits more there. I do wish we pulled him more too. If he bulked up a bit more too, he wouldn't get overpowered by players like Fletcher Cox. 

Center and RG are the only positions that aren't in question, IMO. 

I dont see Cosmi as a long term solution at RG. 

I was a big fan of Cosmi coming out. I was a lil shocked when they wanted him at RT. I didn't think that was his position. I thought he was definitely more LT material (Jake Matthews comp). Was too athletic and not enough of a mean streak to be what you wanted in one. 

I still think you could try Cosmi at LT if you really wanted to. 

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

He is less of a long term solution transitioning to LT, in a contract year. 

He’s a finesse pass blocker, that isn’t a guard. Guards need to be road graders in the run game. He’s never going to be that. The instant he gets a contract extension as a guard he will be overpaid. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s a finesse pass blocker, that isn’t a guard. Guards need to be road graders in the run game. He’s never going to be that. The instant he gets a contract extension as a guard he will be overpaid. 

So he is not a long term option. Cool, we don't extend him and play him at the position he is best at this year instead of forcing him into a position he won't succeed at. 

I don't honestly know why you are trying to move the best offensive lineman we had last year. 

On 4/3/2024 at 8:02 AM, MikeT14 said:

1) Take a flyer on David Bahktiari after a medical check up. Does he have anything left to take a shot? 

2) Pray that you like a tackle at 36 and they fall and you take them. OR trade up for one you like

3) Take a guard with a 3rd or 4th rounder

Rome wasn't built in a day. We can't completely fix this all year 1. I also don't think the line is any worse than last year at the moment, so we could have room to get into good enough shape before the season starts. 

This. I'll add that there "might" be some post-draft/OTA/camp cuts that we might also take a flyer on given our cap space.

Personally, if one of the top OTs are still there around pick #20 or so, I'd package both 2nd rounders to trade up to get him. But yeah, I'd rather take one at 36 and then maybe a WR at the other 2nd

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Well he was quite banged up his first couple of years when he played RT so I don't know if we got a fair assessment of him there or not. Also, I know he played RT as a Freshman at Texas but he then played mostly LT the rest of his career there. Flipping him back over to RT may have hurt him. Generally speaking too, he's more of a finesse pass blocker than a power guy and that archetype is usually played on the left side vs. RT which is more of a power position. 

I strongly disagree. He's an average at best Guard. He isn't anywhere near a pro bowl level player IMO. I don't see any way that he would be worth extending to an expensive contract at the end of his rookie deal (which is after this season). Honestly if he was so good they probably would have extended him already. He's a former 2nd round pick with athleticism, he's been average to mediocre at the two previous positions he's played, I think letting him try LT could salvage his career. 

This actually makes sense to me. Apologies @MKnight82, I went into this thinking "no way he should be moved to LT" but I think you addressed the potential holes. I think Cosmi is an adequate Guard but like you said, he's not going to be anything but adequate there (which is better than last year, but still we should be shooting for dominance across the line). So I think we try him out at LT with the idea that we can still plug him in at Guard if he doesn't work out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

So he is not a long term option. Cool, we don't extend him and play him at the position he is best at this year instead of forcing him into a position he won't succeed at. 

I don't honestly know why you are trying to move the best offensive lineman we had last year. 

Because maybe we could find a position he could be the long term option at 

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because maybe we could find a position he could be the long term option at 

I just don't agree that he can be a successful OT in the league. He has proven already to be a bad RT. He is at least decent at OG.

Plenty of players play out their contracts and don't get resigned. IMO, the best chance he has at getting an extension is at guard. 

33 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This actually makes sense to me. Apologies @MKnight82, I went into this thinking "no way he should be moved to LT" but I think you addressed the potential holes. I think Cosmi is an adequate Guard but like you said, he's not going to be anything but adequate there (which is better than last year, but still we should be shooting for dominance across the line). So I think we try him out at LT with the idea that we can still plug him in at Guard if he doesn't work out there.

So we are going try him out at LT and make him learn a new position in his contract year to protect a rookie QB? He made significant strides as a RG, borderline very good play even, and we are going to move him... 

Sam Cosmi does not handle pass rushers in open space well. He improved significantly playing inside. No clue why we would even consider moving our best O-Lineman from last year to a position he won't be successful at. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-101-top-players-2023-nfl-season#:~:text=G Sam Cosmi%2C Washington Commanders,80.9 PFF run-blocking grade.

"98. G SAM COSMI, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Bumped inside to guard by Washington, Cosmi played his best football in 2023 despite an offensive line that was far from strong and a quarterback who consistently put the unit under unnecessary stress. Cosmi allowed one sack all season and posted an 80.9 PFF run-blocking grade."

Cosmi was arguably the best player on our offense last year. Actually it’s probably not even arguable, because Terry wasn’t at his best most of the year. 

I think Cosmi is going to stay right where he is, and barring injury, he’s probably going to get a big extension too. 

The offense we are going to run is not one that is designed for road-grading guards. Kingsbury comes from the world of air raid, 11 personnel, spread concepts, etc. — and they brought in Anthony Lynn, fresh off working with Shanahan on that run game. It’s why I’ve thought prospects like Beebe are unlikely for us.

I think Cosmi is substantially more physical than some give him credit for, but I also just don’t think that’s a requirement for an offense like this. I think there’s a strong chance he’ll push for Pro Bowl consideration this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This. I'll add that there "might" be some post-draft/OTA/camp cuts that we might also take a flyer on given our cap space.

Personally, if one of the top OTs are still there around pick #20 or so, I'd package both 2nd rounders to trade up to get him. But yeah, I'd rather take one at 36 and then maybe a WR at the other 2nd

The math might work out to only have to give up 36/67 to get to the low 20s. I just did it in a mock on here because of that. Both 2nd rounders could actually get you to around 15, which, if Olu fell.... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

So we are going try him out at LT and make him learn a new position in his contract year to protect a rookie QB? He made significant strides as a RG, borderline very good play even, and we are going to move him... 

Sam Cosmi does not handle pass rushers in open space well. He improved significantly playing inside. No clue why we would even consider moving our best O-Lineman from last year to a position he won't be successful at. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-101-top-players-2023-nfl-season#:~:text=G Sam Cosmi%2C Washington Commanders,80.9 PFF run-blocking grade.

"98. G SAM COSMI, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Bumped inside to guard by Washington, Cosmi played his best football in 2023 despite an offensive line that was far from strong and a quarterback who consistently put the unit under unnecessary stress. Cosmi allowed one sack all season and posted an 80.9 PFF run-blocking grade."

Make him learn a new position? Didn't he play LT in college? I get what you're saying. He should stay put as it provides stability. And it would be fair to him to keep him there in his contract year since he played well at RG last year

OTOH - I also get what @MKnight82is saying. Just because he played his best football on the right side and was our best lineman doesn't mean much. IF what @MKnight82 is saying is true, then it could be one of those things where an OL is more comfortable/suited to playing on one side rather than the other. As for contract year, if he grades out well at LT then he's due for a bigger payday than if he had stayed at Guard.

"Six in one hand..."

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Make him learn a new position? Didn't he play LT in college? I get what you're saying. He should stay put as it provides stability. And it would be fair to him to keep him there in his contract year since he played well at RG last year

OTOH - I also get what @MKnight82is saying. Just because he played his best football on the right side and was our best lineman doesn't mean much. IF what @MKnight82 is saying is true, then it could be one of those things where an OL is more comfortable/suited to playing on one side rather than the other. As for contract year, if he grades out well at LT then he's due for a bigger payday than if he had stayed at Guard.

"Six in one hand..."

Like I said before, Cosmi never should have been at RT. That's not what he was built for. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

How long has he played LT at the NFL level? What anyone did in college is irrelevant when it comes to the pros. He would be a 1st time starter at LT after failing as a RT. That isn't improving the OLine. 

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

"Six in one hand..."

He played his best at guard on the right side. He was below average at RT. I also don't care about how big of a payday he will be due as it won't likely be here regardless of position unless he truly breaks out.