How does the team improve the OL?

It’s been thrown around by a couple posters, and I agree with the verbiage- no matter who we take it QB in the draft, it would be organizational malpractice to put a rookie QB behind the offensive line that we currently have.  

So put your own opinions to the side for this one, so trading down from #2 is out.   Instead try to channel your inner Adam Peters.  How do you go about improving the OL before Week One?  

1) Take a flyer on David Bahktiari after a medical check up. Does he have anything left to take a shot? 

2) Pray that you like a tackle at 36 and they fall and you take them. OR trade up for one you like

3) Take a guard with a 3rd or 4th rounder

Rome wasn't built in a day. We can't completely fix this all year 1. I also don't think the line is any worse than last year at the moment, so we could have room to get into good enough shape before the season starts. 

I'd expect we trade up into the 18-25 range and take Funga or Mims as RT.

See something like Signing DJ Humphries and having Lucas hold down the LT spot for the beginning of year til DJ get healthy from the inj.

Then take a shot on a OG 3rd or 5th round someone like redshirting Zak Zinter makes sense.

My gut says they are trading up into round 1 but I don't know for sure if its OLine or if a Edge CB or WR they have a high grade on falls

• Like 1

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So put your own opinions to the side for this one, so trading down from #2 is out.   Instead try to channel your inner Adam Peters.  How do you go about improving the OL before Week One?  

Draft Joe Alt at 2 and draft Penix at 36.

That of course won't happen, but that's how the team "improves the o-line before week 1". 

What is practical is that we trade up into the top 30 (maybe 25) to get into range for Mims or Guyton. Maybe something along the lines of 36 + 78 for 25 with GB...

I would trade up for one of the OTs who is going to be available in the 20s. That guy can compete with Lucas to be the LT and/or Wylie to be the RT. 

With the pick we got from San Fran for trading Chase Young, I’d take Roger Rosengarten to hopefully beat out Wylie at RT.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Cut Wylie. Move Cosmi to LT. Stromberg starts at RG. Let Braeden Daniels compete with Allegretti for the starting LG spot. Draft a RT in the 2nd. 

No offense, but I'd rather the o-line as it is over that set-up. Cosmi was an inadequate RT. Putting him at LT seems like a recipe for disaster. We essentially would have 4 1st time starters at their positions and that does not scream improving the oline to me. 

I know that we are doing Stromberg a disservice by not giving him playing time, but I'm not taking a solid player at RG and forcing him to play out of position to get him PT. 

Allegretti is a better player than Daniels IMO and, although he will have to earn it, I think it will be a landslide between the two. I think Stromberg would have a better chance beating Allegretti than Daniels would. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I would trade up for one of the OTs who is going to be available in the 20s. That guy can compete with Lucas to be the LT and/or Wylie to be the RT. 

With the pick we got from San Fran for trading Chase Young, I’d take Roger Rosengarten to hopefully beat out Wylie at RT.  

IMO Rosengarten goes well before pick 100. Probably top 50. 

17 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

1) Take a flyer on David Bahktiari after a medical check up. Does he have anything left to take a shot? 

2) Pray that you like a tackle at 36 and they fall and you take them. OR trade up for one you like

3) Take a guard with a 3rd or 4th rounder

Rome wasn't built in a day. We can't completely fix this all year 1. I also don't think the line is any worse than last year at the moment, so we could have room to get into good enough shape before the season starts. 

I'd take 1, 2 and 3. I would also open the guard at 3 to a G/C option. If you can get Van Pran in the 3rd, I'd be cool with that too. 

Not going to lie, the bar shouldn't be "any worse than last year" as we had a historically bad o-line last year. This offensive line is going to have to protect "the future" of the franchise. It needs to be adequate to good. I think Biadasz and Allegretti are significant upgrades over the players in their positions last year. However our tackle positions have somehow gotten worse and Wylie still has a job. Really surprised we didn't pursue Tryon Smith, even with his expensive price tag.

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Cut Wylie. Move Cosmi to LT. Stromberg starts at RG. Let Braeden Daniels compete with Allegretti for the starting LG spot. Draft a RT in the 2nd. 

Moving Cosmi to LT doesn't seem like a smart move to me. We shouldn't move a guy who's become a good G to LT. Cosmi is on his way to possibly being a Pro Bowl RG, we should keep him there the way we did with Scherff. In 2019 when Trent wouldn't play bc he wanted to be traded unless he got a new contract we didn't move Scherff to LT despite him being a good to great LT in college and it was the right move bc Scherff had already established himself as a good RG. So, keep Cosmi there.

I read that Keim said Braeden Daniels’s biggest issue last offseason was they tried to make him a guard and he wasn't strong enough. He got overpowered by our interior OL. I have never heard that he wasn't athletic enough so like Gerron Christian, I think we should keep him at OT and have him comepte for a backup spot there. Maybe he only does enough to make the practice squad or gets cut but, we should keep him at his natural position.

Again with Stromberg, I don't think moving him to G is a good move for him long term. I know he played G when we needed him to when we had injuries last year but I think he should remain at center bc that's where he played in college.

If we're moving someone to G it should be Michael Deiter. Deiter played all over the OL at Wisconsin but in his senior year Tyler Balidaz was the starting C & Deiter was the starting G.

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not going to lie, the bar shouldn't be "any worse than last year" as we had a historically bad o-line last year.

No, but my point was that I think the people complaining that it is worse than last year are incorrect. At worst, I think it's a break even...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

No offense, but I'd rather the o-line as it is over that set-up. Cosmi was an inadequate RT. Putting him at LT seems like a recipe for disaster. We essentially would have 4 1st time starters at their positions and that does not scream improving the oline to me. 

Well he was quite banged up his first couple of years when he played RT so I don't know if we got a fair assessment of him there or not. Also, I know he played RT as a Freshman at Texas but he then played mostly LT the rest of his career there. Flipping him back over to RT may have hurt him. Generally speaking too, he's more of a finesse pass blocker than a power guy and that archetype is usually played on the left side vs. RT which is more of a power position. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Moving Cosmi to LT doesn't seem like a smart move to me. We shouldn't move a guy who's become a good G to LT. Cosmi is on his way to possibly being a Pro Bowl RG

I strongly disagree. He's an average at best Guard. He isn't anywhere near a pro bowl level player IMO. I don't see any way that he would be worth extending to an expensive contract at the end of his rookie deal (which is after this season). Honestly if he was so good they probably would have extended him already. He's a former 2nd round pick with athleticism, he's been average to mediocre at the two previous positions he's played, I think letting him try LT could salvage his career. 

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Well he was quite banged up his first couple of years when he played RT so I don't know if we got a fair assessment of him there or not. Also, I know he played RT as a Freshman at Texas but he then played mostly LT the rest of his career there. Flipping him back over to RT may have hurt him. Generally speaking too, he's more of a finesse pass blocker than a power guy and that archetype is usually played on the left side vs. RT which is more of a power position. 

Cosmi really struggled in space. He belongs inside, IMO. I think creating a hole by moving him to an unnatural position is not improving. 

Keep Cosmi at guard, where he actually played well and looked more natural. His athleticism fits more there. I do wish we pulled him more too. If he bulked up a bit more too, he wouldn't get overpowered by players like Fletcher Cox. 

Center and RG are the only positions that aren't in question, IMO. 

• Like 1