2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

They signed an RB and a LB today, so it makes me think that Cooper is not all that close to a return. 

I saw that and that Jarveon Howard was out of practice.  It also can mean they are just trying to get through the next preseason game and definitely won't be playing their starters much at all.  Even if Lloyd and Cooper come back, it would be irresponsible to have them come back to heavy snaps. It's still a solid bet those two get IRed with the new rules basically expanding the 53 to a 55 to start the season.

9 hours ago, squire12 said:

Walker is very likely an OT only.  Tom has more positional versatility.  Retaining Tom allows more flexibility in FA/ draft to fill in needs on the OL

If we extend either of them, it is to play tackle. You don't give big bucks to a player because they have versatility. 

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If we extend either of them, it is to play tackle. You don't give big bucks to a player because they have versatility. 

Correct.   But Tom having versatility gives him an advantage if all else is equal.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Versatility isn't the primary factor, but it's definitely a factor.  Tom isn't nearly as valuable if he can only play T.

Exactly.  GB is known for drafting players that have that versatility, so an extension would be a natural parallel to.that

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Correct.   But Tom having versatility gives him an advantage if all else is equal.

If all else is equal, I'd say you sign the LT. 

Tom was better than Walker last year. 

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Versatility isn't the primary factor, but it's definitely a factor.  Tom isn't nearly as valuable if he can only play T.

If you are top 5 at a premium position, you are extremely valuable to any team. 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Exactly.  GB is known for drafting players that have that versatility, so an extension would be a natural parallel to.that

No, it would not. Versatility is not a factor once you settle into a premium position, tackle, and become a top 5 player. 

Versatility is great to have, don't get me wrong. IF Walker and Tom are both top 5 at their respective position, you don't let the LT walk out the door. 

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

There is enough belief that Tom can play LT as well.

Is that why they drafted Jordan Morgan, whose best positions is said to be LT, in the first round? If the Packers actually believed that, when Bakh went down, Tom would have gone to LT and Walker would have been moved to RT. 

They drafted Morgan thinking they may not re-sign Walker. 

Edited by Old Guy

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It Tom isn't he's right on the doorstep, ready to kick that door in. 

I like Tom as a player as much as the next guy, but he's probably never going to be a great run blocker.  The thing that bumps his value vs a typical OT is that he can be shuffled all along the OL.  As a pure OT, he's got a ways to go before being in the top 5 conversation.  As a pass protector, he could get there.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I like Tom as a player as much as the next guy, but he's probably never going to be a great run blocker.  The thing that bumps his value vs a typical OT is that he can be shuffled all along the OL.  As a pure OT, he's got a ways to go before being in the top 5 conversation.  As a pass protector, he could get there.

We can agree to disagree.