A Different Conversation

textaz03

We have all been doing mock draft simulations almost daily. We have talked about possible trade down scenarios. 

What DONT you want to see out of the Cowboys War Room come draft weekend or specifically for Round 1??? 

For me, I don’t want to see a RB taken at all in round 1!! I under stand the utilization of the 5th year option, but with current trends, no RB in this draft is worth that 1st round selection, especially if they are coming off an injury.

I don’t want to see a TE drafted in any round and I don’t want to see any potential projects taken in the first 2 days. We need to come away from this draft with 3 (would prefer to see a 4th if Jerry and Steven can work the phone lines) sure fire starters in the first 2 days. 

How about you all, what don’t you want to see??? Any specific players you don’t want to see the Cowboys draft?? 

It’s hard for me to fathom a scenario where we draft something other than offensive line at our first pick and feel really good coming out of the draft. The likelihood of being forced to reach on a guy at #56 is high. As opposed to the first round, where the talent is very likely to match the pick at OL.

It feels similar to 2021, where we were desperate for a cornerback but then Surtain and Horn were taken, so we forced the leftovers pick with Kelvin Joseph.

- Out on RB, TE, and defense, minus Verse/Newton/Murphy in RD1. 
- Not out or saying he can’t transition, but leery of Mims if the plan for him is LT. 
- None of the top 7-8 CBs mentioned typically as RD1-2 prospects do much for me. 

I don't want to see the Cowboys pick a position of need over a superior assortment of players. Their needs are glaring this year, and selecting for need over overall talent is what led Dallas to pick all those draft busts from 94 to 2003, and select their more recent flops in Claiborne, Taco and potentially(and likely) Mazi. 

If we really need an OL but the guys left grade out as players much lower than some corner or WR or position of less pressing urgency, do not take that OL. Grab a couple with good traits you can build on, later in the draft. And add the best damn talent you can with those earlier selections. 

Draft for need over talent too often and you will end up picking ever so slightly earlier in the draft each following year until you're picking in the top 5 wondering why your team sucks...