My 2024 Pre Draft Thoughts /Mock

I haven't been able to do as much work on the draft this year as I usually like to, but heres my thoughts on some things. The thing I worked on most was the QBs & C's but didn't do the write up I was hoping to. If I could advise one thing about the QBs  it would be "Cautiously Optimistic" with the emphasis on Cautiously. There is a good bit of ability there but A Lot of concerns, even the top guy may be more so than the others because people get blinded by the lust for talent which he has a lot of. 

QB rankings / spacing for emphasis of concerns - JT OSullivan had many of the same concerns I had with Drake Maye. I've watched most of Drake Mayes game live and from Day One had concerns about his choices or looseness. I thought the same thing about Brett Favre 30 years ago , so I guess you never know but its more so location issues at times and awareness rather than wicked or riskiness. 

1. Caleb Williams - his athleticism reminds me of a Gale Sayers like football player with a sling shot for an arm (I mean that in a good way if it doesnt sound like it) I have some on field concerns but by far I cant help but be very concerned about his mannerisms and where his focuses will be

2. Jaydon Daniels - I kind of think Jaydon is around his ceiling and what you see is a lot of what you'll get. His running / gliding is more like that of a punt returner. He eats up yards and you dont even realize he just glided for a 40 yard gain. If he stays healthy he will have some very effective fantasy games. 

3. JJ McCarthy - Its soo funny the hate some guys get. Easily the best fundamental QB in this group. Makes great layered throws in tight windows when needed. Very athletic. If you want to see the difference McCarthy makes then watch how that team operated with Cade McNamara and whenever McCarthy came in...NIGHT and DAY...its not just the running game.

4. Drake Maye - ugghh dont make excuses for him, but he has ability , perhaps maturity and realization of the moment along with a strong guide at HC or OC.. dont put him on a defensive team or he wont become what he could be. Maybe Daboll can get him to potential. I think the Pats would likely be horrible for him. 

5. Bo Nix  - this pack is most variable, had I finished up like I had hoped it is possible Rattler could overtake them. 

6. Michael Penix - I had Penix higher earlier but those last couple games accentuated my initial concerns. I do think Penix could and will go before Nix. I feel like the Raiders will be very interested. I just hate the falling back/ fading throws.

7. Spencer Rattler - that Oline was atrocious 

8 Jordan Travis

9. Michael Pratt

I totally expect the Steelers / Omar to make a move in rounds 1 , 2 or 3.  Two moves actually seem to be likely, move down in the first not just because we all want em to but because so many teams potentially want to move up, its a sellers market for sure this year. 

But then it makes so much sense to move up in round 2 from where we are, or to move up from round 3 into the middle/back half of round 2.  It also would likely make a good deal of sense to move up to early in round 3 with those two picks if the guy you want is there or fell. 

Steelers Mock

1. Jackson Powers Johnson -C/OG- two players stood out at the Senior Bowl and then again at the combine JPJ & Q Mitchell, we have too many needs to be moving up for a corner. Thats a lot of smoke that were somehow helping out Denver with, but they may want to move Sutton to us. Only thing is i think it would be another rental trade/pick up. 

2. Ricky Pearsall - WR - Id prefer Leggette but Pearsall does a lot of the things that Rome does IMO just isn't as big with the smoothness and soft hands. Originally I thought he was a late 3rdish type but hes really climbed the charts through the process.

3. Renardo Green - CB/S - FSU

3b. T'Vondre Sweat - DT - I could see the scenario of another "talented " player falling to Pittsburgh late in the 3rd and it just making too much sense not to take the risk with the team needs at this point. 

4. Mohammed Kamara - OLB - Colorado St - just a nice typical Steelers effort guy. We didnt fill the 4 spot and you need to keep these guy developing in the chamber instead of letting the cupboards run bare.

6.a Javion Foster - OT- I have other players I like early but rare to get exactly every want/need as you would like.

6b. Kristian Boyd - DT - Not trying to double down but they like the kid to develop, he could be the long term while Sweat is the short term. 

20 of my players Id be happy if we got.  Theres some more but ..

1. Tulese Fuaga - OT - Oregon State  --- (drafted #14 by New Orleans )

2. Jackson Powers Johnson - C - Oregon  ( Still available)

3. Xavier Laggette - WR - South Carolina  (drafted #32 by Carolina)

4. Kingsley Suamataia - OT - BYU

5. Christian Haynes - OG/C? - UConn

6. TJ Tampa - CB - Iowa State 

7. Edgerrin Cooper - LB - Texas A&M 

8. Max Melton - CB - Rutgers 

9. Ricky Pearsall - WR - Florida

9. Mike Sanristil - CB - Michigan

10. Payton Wilson - LB - NC State (injuries are a definite concern if not he could be a top 10 type LB ) 10x better than college football's Devin Bush who Im not hating on as a Steeler just how he was overhyped at Michigan.

11. Zach Frazier - C - West Virginia

12. Javon Baker - WR - UCF

13. Trey Benson - RB - FSU

14. Khyree Jackson - CB - Oregon

15. Renardo Green - CB - FSU

16. Jamarri Thrash - WR- Louisville

17. Mohammed Kamara - Edge/OLB - Colorado St 

18. Luke McCafferey - WR - Rice 

19. Jaheim Bell - TE - FSU

20. Nehamaiah Pritchett - CB - Auburn  /Jaylon Simpson - S - Auburn 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 4

I think Maye needs to sit a year and fix his mechanical issues.  I think he could be a good one if not forced to start too early.  NE is a terrible place for a QB to go to.  They have the least amount of overall team talent on offense.

I think you are right on Daniels as he is an older player.  I think he can be very good in the right situation.

Chicago is not a bad place for a rookie QB to land but they have no other options for starters.  I am not sure Williams can make it in the NFL but YMMV.  I expect the Bears to trade out of #9 to get more picks.

Good write up. Only thing that sticks out to me that I disagree with is Sweat in the 3rd round. 2 down run-stuffer who had the advantage of playing next to Byron Murphy who can’t keep his weight in check and got a DUI 3 weeks before the draft? Late day 3 pick for me.

Love seeing that you have Jordan Travis as QB8.

Renardo Green is going to be a steal for whoever drafts him if they let him just play press man like FSU did.

I selfishly want Maye to go to the Vikings and for them to throw him in the fire early and see if he sinks or swims with all those weapons. 

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Good write up. Only thing that sticks out to me that I disagree with is Sweat in the 3rd round. 2 down run-stuffer who had the advantage of playing next to Byron Murphy who can’t keep his weight in check and got a DUI 3 weeks before the draft? Late day 3 pick for me.

Love seeing that you have Jordan Travis as QB8.

Renardo Green is going to be a steal for whoever drafts him if they let him just play press man like FSU did.

I selfishly want Maye to go to the Vikings and for them to throw him in the fire early and see if he sinks or swims with all those weapons. 

Im not fanatical about Sweat but there is very similar value to his game as Darnell Washington and if you get that late 3rd while you have two picks in the 3rd there is nothing wrong with that. He would not be my target my any means, most of the guys on my 20 list would all be in play if they were available .. 

Jermaine Burton feels very much like the typical Steelers WR pickup that everybody else let slide down the board and Tomlin says give me that i’ll squeeze value out of him before he goes off the rails. 

the only issue i have with that is how many of that WR success formula was having a HOF qb that wasnt afraid to get the most out those abilities. 

35 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Jermaine Burton feels very much like the typical Steelers WR pickup that everybody else let slide down the board and Tomlin says give me that i’ll squeeze value out of him before he goes off the rails. 

the only issue i have with that is how many of that WR success formula was having a HOF qb that wasnt afraid to get the most out those abilities. 

I posted a tweet in another thread but a former scout of ours spilled the beans on Colbert’s draft style. Dave Bryan was right of basically 50 names on a card and he took the highest grade of a need unless someone had that high a grade. I think some of these “off the rails” were just because the grade on the card was that high. 

47 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I kinda believe the rumor/thought that they are over the mold of young WR with character concerns who falls down the draft. 

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I kinda believe the rumor/thought that they are over the mold of young WR with character concerns who falls down the draft. 

Possibly. Also, they don't have the stud QB to tamp/quiet that down and execute at a level good enough to make everybody look good. I dont try to gush over Ben but there is little doubt his ability was of a higher caliber.