1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

11 minutes ago, jofos said:

Haskins could have sat for two or three years, and it wouldn't have mattered

the point is... O'Connell wanted to follow a slower development plan before starting Haskins. they did not and he failed, miserably.

i doubt KOC thought to himself, "well, Haskins was a no talent guy and he would have failed no matter what, even though I was on the team that scouted and analyzed and selected him."

given that KOC had that experience, i don't see how he'd be in a rush to reverse his plan now with McCarthy. the media wonks watching JJ have very positive things to report, but they also see him as an inexperienced rookie who has a lot to learn still.

do you think that's going to happen in six weeks?

15 minutes ago, jofos said:

Harrison Phillips is a DT.

yessss..... and he also has more first hand experience on this subject that ANY of us.

nor can you say, what with all KOC has said about Darnold, that he sees him as the after thought you do and claim the players do also.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

interesting take. we shall see....

other than, my friend... McCarthy's salary was set, as the #10 pick. the terms to discuss that could be negotiated were less important than the actual amount, of which there was no haggling.

To be clear, it doesn't matter why McCarthy was holding out so long or what he and the front office were discussing.  The point is that the team wouldn't want to improve McCarthy's bargaining position during those negotiations.

Expect a very different tone from the team in the next two weeks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

yessss..... and he also has more first hand experience on this subject that ANY of us.

nor can you say, what with all KOC has said about Darnold, that he sees him as the after thought you do and claim the players do also.

The thing with Darnold is he hasn't been good anywhere. I have no reason to think is suddenly going to be something he has never been. I know people say he was better in SF but in his only start last year he was 16-26 (61.5%) 189 1TD. The most positive thing from that start was he didn't throw an INT, but he did take 3 sacks while only pressured 16% of his drop backs and he had 6 bad throws. 

When McCarthy checks the boxes, he will start I don't think the boxes include being perfect. McCarthy will make plenty of mistakes but when KOC feels that making mistakes won't set him back McCarthy will be on the field.

7 minutes ago, jofos said:

When McCarthy checks the boxes, he will start I don't think the boxes include being perfect. McCarthy will make plenty of mistakes but when KOC feels that making mistakes won't set him back McCarthy will be on the field.

yeah, even KOC has said the exact same thing, you're almost quoting him. no deep analysis or risky prediction there on your part.

but you're also predicting he'll reach that point in about 4 weeks. or even sooner.

O'Connell: "But I want to be very clear that the expectation is for this player to not be perfect. He's going to have growing pains, he's going to learn on the fly. I'm not trying to remove that aspect of it, either, but deciding when he will play is not something you can write up on a board. It's a feeling."

• Like 1

Just now, vike daddy said:

yeah, even KOC has said the exact same thing, you're almost quoting him. no deep analysis or risky prediction there on your part.

but you're also predicting he'll reach that point in about 4 weeks. or even sooner.

O'Connell: "But I want to be very clear that the expectation is for this player to not be perfect. He's going to have growing pains, he's going to learn on the fly. I'm not trying to remove that aspect of it, either, but deciding when he will play is not something you can write up on a board. It's a feeling."

okay man, I have no idea what I'm talking about. But I do think that maybe McCarthy had a few boxes on the what it takes to be a starting QB check list prior to being drafted. 

• Like 1

SI’s Will Ragatz on JJ McCarthy:

“The biggest takeaway from Day 2 of camp at TCO Performance Center was the performance of McCarthy, the highest-drafted QB in franchise history. He had an impressive day, making quick decisions and ripping balls with velocity into tight windows. There was a dart to Robert Tonyan over the middle of the field, placed where only the veteran tight end could grab it. That was followed by a sideline throw to Trent Sherfield that McCarthy really had to drive so the cornerback couldn’t jump the route.”