1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

56 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure even a guy of Carter's age is all that influential on players of Addison's age, who was born the year that Carter played in Miami. 

You might be right...but someone...veteran player...coach...who can relate to Addison's issue, but hold up a healthier, more responsible way of living needs to happen, in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

You might be right...but someone...veteran player...coach...who can relate to Addison's issue, but hold up a healthier, more responsible way of living needs to happen, in my opinion.

Sure, but I don't know that veteran players and coaches are the best option.  IMO, the best option is having people in his immediate peer group showing him the more responsible way. Jordan, like everyone else, needs to choose wisely by whom they are going to let themselves be influenced.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Sure, but I don't know that veteran players and coaches are the best option.  IMO, the best option is having people in his immediate peer group showing him the more responsible way. Jordan, like everyone else, needs to choose wisely by whom they are going to let themselves be influenced.

I really don't care WHO reaches the young man...as long as he is reached.  There are these obvious signs that he is not in a good space.  If it's a lack of maturity, he needs to grow up quick...if it's addiction he needs to admit it and get help.  He is gifted...and he will earn a Brinks truck full of $$ in his 2nd contract as long as he stays on the field and is in top physical, mental and emotional condition.  As a fan, and human, I don't want him to lose out on the opportunity he's been given.

• Like 3

According to reporting from ESPN’s Kevin Seifert, McCarthy is starting to feel at home within the Vikings system. In a recent article where he talked to McCarthy, the rookie quarterback shared how comfortable he is getting within the system.

Seifert says, “McCarthy said he now feels as if he has been with the Vikings “for a year” rather than three months. One tangible bit of progress, he said, is that he can call plays in the huddle without stumbling through the verbiage.”

Early in the offseason, it was discussed that McCarthy would have a checklist of sorts to go through before the team gave him the reigns to the castle. It appears that he is already passing the first test with flying colors. It will be worth watching to see what momentum he can build heading into the year’s first preseason game.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/29/j-j-mccarthy-starting-to-get-a-handle-on-things-within-vikings-offense/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem_manual&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwY2xjawEZSytleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHdXuUen_1b4k5Jx2JoRJ21WXNfslcESTm6FRcsl7vVNocWCvN9CeL8bz_g_aem_nd-GkCtySC743tn54K7oGg

• Like 4

Will Ragatz, SI.com:

Friday: "It was a particularly rough day for McCarthy — probably his worst of camp so far. The rookie really struggled to get the ball out quickly, which led to sacks and scrambles and rushed throws.""

Saturday: "J.J. McCarthy had plenty of impressive moments in his own right, including a fun stretch of action with the first-team offense."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/j-j-mccarthy-saturday-training-camp-practice-minnesota-vikings

• Like 1

McCarthy: 

"In OTAs, it was very hard for me to get out a playcall. Everyone thinks they can play quarterback, but try getting out of the huddle. That was my biggest goal going into this training camp, being able to hear it one time and execute it and regurgitate it to the guys with confidence, and I've been doing that so far. We'll see when we get down to third down and red zone, when they get really long, but they're going pretty well so far."

"Whether it's going against the ones and giving them all I got, and hitting some deep balls down the field on them to p*ss them off a little bit, and get that urgency up for the rest of practice. But at the end of the day, it's all about the team. Making the team better, making them the most prepared they are until they get into September."

NFLNews.com

• Like 2

McCarthy openly shared about how he cleanses a disappointing practice. He explained that he'll keep his tights from practice on throughout the evening, do a reflection on the day and remove them and the day's burden before taking a shower:

"I have this thing, whenever I had a bad practice to start at Michigan, I'd keep my tights on the whole night, and it's a little dirty, but it's a good metaphorical way for me to let it go. Because at the end of the night I'll just stand in front of the mirror, just kind of debrief how the day went, what I did in the morning, what was different from the following days that were successful and just kind of overall feeling and vibe of that day."

"And then once I go through that, I look myself in the eye and say, 'That's all gone. We're letting go. We're moving on to the next day,' and take those tights off and don't think about it ever again."

https://www.vikings.com/news/j-j-mccarthy-quarterback-development-advice-sheds-burdens

• Like 1

i always like McCarthy's skillset and figured/assumed/hoped it would only improve with more experience in the NFL and KOC's coaching.

but what's really impressing me additionally now is his calm and thoughtful demeanor. so mature for his age.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

McCarthy openly shared about how he cleanses a disappointing practice. He explained that he'll keep his tights from practice on throughout the evening, do a reflection on the day and remove them and the day's burden before taking a shower:

"I have this thing, whenever I had a bad practice to start at Michigan, I'd keep my tights on the whole night, and it's a little dirty, but it's a good metaphorical way for me to let it go. Because at the end of the night I'll just stand in front of the mirror, just kind of debrief how the day went, what I did in the morning, what was different from the following days that were successful and just kind of overall feeling and vibe of that day."

"And then once I go through that, I look myself in the eye and say, 'That's all gone. We're letting go. We're moving on to the next day,' and take those tights off and don't think about it ever again."

https://www.vikings.com/news/j-j-mccarthy-quarterback-development-advice-sheds-burdens

Punishing yourself by wearing dirty tights after practice = ultimate football guy. 

His girlfriend must be a saint.

• Like 6

It's early, of course, but McCarthy's teammates see promise in the 21-year-old. Receiver Trent Sherfield spent time with four teams over the past six seasons and has seen his share of young passers. He believes McCarthy is special.

Sherfield: "J.J. is going to be a really good quarterback. I've said that before, and you've seen it today. A young guy, but he takes the game seriously. He approaches it like a vet. Maybe one of the first times – I've been in the league for seven years and seen a couple of rookie quarterbacks come in, and he's stood out to me from his preparation and how he attacks every single day."

"I've had conversations with him and am really excited to see him flourish in this league. I think you guys have only seen a glimpse of what he can do."

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold-quarterbacks-preseason-week-1

KOC: "A huge part of it is these real game reps where there's coaches on the sideline. It's just them and the defense and the officials out there, and I want to see J.J. continue to progress.. But clearly everybody can see the arm talent. I just love seeing him come right back after the interception and still be aggressive, still stay true to footwork, timing, rhythm and where his eyes should be."

"There were a lot of positives with J.J.'s performance tonight and a lot of areas where we'll be able to hit the ground running when these guys are back in on Monday."

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold-quarterbacks-preseason-week-1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but...it's preseason...it's the Raiders.  I will wait to see JJ's play during a game that counts before getting enthused.

Very true, but there is the reality that Kellen Mond looked lost those first preseason games.  Improved a bit but clearly was not very natural as a passer what so ever and despite being a good athlete with a strong arm he just could not see the field and make plays consistently, same could be said for Tarvarius Jackson and Christian Ponder as well.

McCarthy for as limited in sample size as he was in college looked very comfortable making NFL level throws.  Clearly is comfortable under center which is huge for his offense as well, good play action passer but still has things to work on no question.

I do agree it will be interesting when he gets pressured more against more talented DL/LB rushers.  That will change things but sure does help having guys like Rouse and Jurgens in there compared to what the Vikings have had in terms of young talent on the OL in terms of backups.  Both looked great and allowed time for McCarthy to get passes off.

• Like 4