2024 - Let Kwesi Cook! (The 2024 Draft Class)

Really happy with the draft & UDFA class.

JJ McCarthy is the Vikings QBOTF - beyond excited about this pick

EDGE Dallas Turner & CB Kyree Jackson are going to be starters for Flores.

T Walter Rouse & iOL Michael Jurgans are both fantastic developmental offensive line players who give us depth and have a ton of room to grow into starting NFL lineman. Both have position flexability with Rouse projected to play RT or Guard & Jurgans can play OG or OC.

Will Reichard is instantly our starting kicker with a ton of kicking experience under his belt

Dwight McGlothern, CB, Arkansas Gabriel Murphy, OLB, UCLA from our UDFA class also have a chance to make the 53 and make an impact

only head scratcher is out #232 pick Levi Drake Rodriguez but admitedly I know almost nothing about the guy

Edited by viking

2024 Consensus Big Board

This consensus big board of each player's overall ranking for the 2024 NFL Draft was compiled using 211 Big Board(s), 1507 1st Round Mock Draft(s), and 1371 Team Based Mock Draft(s). These numbers do not include ALL mock drafts in the database, but rather ones that are closest to the Draft date.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024?pos=ALL

Consensus Player Ranking vs Actual Slot Drafted

McCarthy - 8 vs 10
Turner - 9 vs 17
Jackson - 98 vs 108
Rouse -  162 vs 177
Reichard - 218 vs 203

totals = 495 vs 515, difference of 20, equal to high 6th Round pick

Jurgens - 446 vs 230
Rodrigues - 375 vs 232

(hey, they're 7th Round flyers...)

Murphy - 117 vs UDFA
McGlothern - 175 vs UDFA

totals = 292, equal to low 2nd Round pick

On 4/26/2024 at 2:16 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Good point. 

Also, it looks like we got, according to Bill Belichick, the 8th best player in this draft (Turner) and the 17th best (McCarthy).

Take that for what it's worth! Skol!

Very true, but same could have been said if the Vikings traded up to #4 or #5 to go get JJ McCarthy....  I am very glad they did not make that move, they did trade up and lose a surprising amount of picks but at least they were not 1st rounders.  Outside of swapping #10 for #11 and #17 for #23 they did give up combined two 4th round picks, two fifth round picks and one 3rd rounder.  So five picks is not nothing but I guess at least they did get the 6th rounder which they took Reichard.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, but same could have been said if the Vikings traded up to #4 or #5 to go get JJ McCarthy....  I am very glad they did not make that move, they did trade up and lose a surprising amount of picks but at least they were not 1st rounders.  Outside of swapping #10 for #11 and #17 for #23 they did give up combined two 4th round picks, two fifth round picks and one 3rd rounder.  So five picks is not nothing but I guess at least they did get the 6th rounder which they took Reichard.  

The fact that the Vikings were trying to trade up for a QB that was not McCarthy may be very disappointing to the people that thought once you have identified the QB you want you should get them at all costs. I didn't agree with that line of thinking but understand it enough to feel a little bad for the people that thought that is how the Vikings should attack the QB situation in this draft. The Vikings did not get their guy, but they still got a guy they liked enough to trade up a spot. I commend Kwesi for not panicking into trading in front of the Giants out of fear they may draft a QB. It's possible that the Vikings liked Penix more than McCarthy, but given injury concerns I don't think it would have been worth trading in front of the Falcons to draft Penix.

Personally, I think the Vikings could have sat tight at 11 and still gotten McCarthy; he might have even still been on the board at 23. However, by trading up we at least know the Vikings got a guy they really wanted rather than being stuck into drafting a QB at 11 just because they needed a QB.  That's what I like about the trade. It informs us that the team really liked McCarthy.  Was it worth the picks?  I don't know.  I am happy to root for the team KAM is forming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

The Vikings did not get their guy, but they still got a guy they liked enough to trade up a spot.

it appears the Pats weren't going to trade away their pick unless the offer to do so was in the ridiculous category of value.

22 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

it appears the Pats weren't going to trade away their pick unless the offer to do so was in the ridiculous category of value.

Yep.  And who can blame them?  They got their guy without needing to give away anything additional.  Good for them. It's nice the Vikings had contingencies and one of those contingencies was available them a bit later.  When you identify your guy in a draft, it isn't necessarily possible to get him.  The Vikings made an effort; I am glad they had a limit and contingencies.  Let's hope the backup plan works out.  I'll be rooting for him to prove to the world that nine teams gauged incorrectly. Not being the first choice, doesn't mean he's not the best choice.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Let's hope the backup plan [McCarthy] works out.  

i think they had McCarthy very closely rated near Maye. i think KOC and Kwesi are overjoyed to have him on board, and don't see him as a consolation prize.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i think they had McCarthy very closely rated near Maye. i think KOC and Kwesi are overjoyed to have him on board, and don't see him as a consolation prize.

If they tried to trade up to 3 for Maye, but didn't try to trade up to 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 for McCarthy, I am not sure how closely they had them rated.  But they did clearly like McCarthy, which is nice.  Also, one of the big knocks on McCarthy is that he hasn't had the opportunity to be the man in an offense yet.  That doesn't mean he can't do it. When given the opportunity, he could prove to be far better than anyone ever could have been confident of without seeing it in college.  Had McCarthy had that opportunity, and been successful, maybe the Vikings would have liked him more than Maye.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If they tried to trade up to 3 for Maye, but didn't try to trade up to 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 for McCarthy, I am not sure how closely they had them rated. 

This is the game within the game though, right? Of those teams picking 4-8 only the Giants were regarded as being in the QB market and even that sounded like it was 50/50. The Falcons/Penix pick took everyone by surprise.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up but I believe they had Maye and JJ rated very close. Just a gut feeling.

• Like 1

Just now, VikeManDan said:

I have absolutely nothing to back this up but I believe they had Maye and JJ rated very close. Just a gut feeling.

think of it this way...

would you rather have Maye; or have McCarthy, Turner, and our 2025 Round 1 pick...?

that tips the scales.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

think of it this way...

would you rather have Maye; or have McCarthy, Turner, and our 2025 Round 1 pick...?

that tips the scales.

I need no convincing haha, I was on the JJ train at the station!

That is a very good lens to look through though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

I was on the JJ train at the station!

i liked Daniels at first, right before the time when everyone else decided they did too and he shot up the rankings. then i moved to McCarthy and stayed with him throughout, minus a short fling with Maye, and back to McCarthy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

This is the game within the game though, right? Of those teams picking 4-8 only the Giants were regarded as being in the QB market and even that sounded like it was 50/50. The Falcons/Penix pick took everyone by surprise.

Sure.  There is a game within the game.  A lot of what we can do is pure speculation on a theory that fits the available evidence.  My speculation is different than yours. At the moment there is no way to know.

My speculative theory that also fits the available evidence is that the Vikings had Maye rated a decent amount above McCarthy but had McCarthy and Penix rated similar. Once Maye wasn't available the Vikings were content to wait to see how the draft fell until one or the other of McCarthy and Penix were drafted.  When they were down to one of the similar options, they started working the phones to secure the remaining similarly rated prospect.

My speculation would suggest the Vikings should have been trying to trade up to pick 9.  We don't have evidence of them doing that, but we also don't know that they didn't.

Speculating that they have similar levels of interest in Maye and McCarthy would have to explain lack of evidence in the Vikings trying to trade to pick four and pick five even if you account for the Giants pick being the driver of motivation that would have lacked to explain why they weren't trying to trade up to pick 7, 8, and 9.

I don't know.  Maybe it is true that they traded with the Jets only out of fear of the Broncos leapfrogging them. That's possible, but I don't like that theory as much as mine or yours.

It's fun to speculate. Figuring out helps us determine how we feel the Vikings could improve their strategy in future drafts, but we'll never know.  The Vikings know and I hope no matter what happened they'll consider how they could improve. There is no reason for the team to announce to fans or other teams how they had the options rated. Whether they like it or not, we can be pretty sure that they rated Maye higher than Penix and McCarthy.

• Like 2