Round 3 Pick 98 Steelers Draft ILB Payton Wilson 6'4 233 4.43

Daniel Valente

@StatsGuyDaniel

Payton Wilson is a FREAK. Ran a 4.43s in the 40-yard dash. He can flat out move. Gives the Steelers some serious athleticism they haven’t had in the LB group in a while. If he stays healthy, we could be talking about a giant home run pick by Omar Khan.

RyuXg2Br_normal.jpg

DC Teryl Austin on what the #Steelers are getting in Payton Wilson: "Speed. He can really go and he is a quick trigger guy."

Edited by armsteeld
added notes
  • Like 1

I think he’ll slide right into Kwon’s slot really well. I think we’ll see a pretty big rotation between Roberts and Wilson. Roberts will play on the early downs and Wilson the pass downs. Queen should be a 3 down guy. I think Wilson is going to be a real weapon against Lamar Jackson. 

• Like 3

I wanted a fast ILB to tandem with Queen but I felt Wilson's injury history was an issue. This is a risk worth taking as the upside is tremendous. What many don't know is that Wilson was an Edge before transitioning to LB. Oh yeah he has a really good RAS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, armsteeld said:

I wanted a fast ILB to tandem with Queen but I felt Wilson's injury history was an issue. This is a risk worth taking as the upside is tremendous. What many don't know is that Wilson was an Edge before transitioning to LB. Oh yeah he has a really good RAS.

That 3-cone makes me feel all kinds of things. That’s a great predictor. We’ve got some interesting guys as backup LB in Wilson and Herbig. A lot of athleticism and versatility.

• Like 1

• armsteeld changed the title to Round 3 Pick 98 Steelers Draft ILB Payton Wilson 6'4 233 4.43
15 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He's going to be a real weapon on 3rd downs. Pairing him and Queen is going to be a nightmare for opposing offenses with their speed and ability to cover and blitz. Very interchangeable, versatile, guys. 

I don’t know that he will be the linebacker that Queen is, but he has more upside in the passing game, both in coverage and the rush IMO. 

• Like 1

He seems like a more polished, slightly smaller and less athletic, version of Troy Andersen.  These are the type of guys that I've been wanting the Steelers to draft ever since Shazier got hurt.  With Shazier, initially I was like 6'1" 235 or w/e he was, that's a bit small.  But, 4.37 or w/e, is pretty dynamic.  He quickly became arguably my favorite player.  When he got hurt, the Steelers have sucked at ILB, and have ever since.  Hopefully this offseason changes that!  Hopefully his knees aren't an issue and he can be a stud for the next decade for us, or at least 6+ years till he's in his 30s.  Love this pick!

• Like 1