Round 3 Pick 98 Steelers Draft ILB Payton Wilson 6'4 233 4.43

6 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

He seems like a more polished, slightly smaller and less athletic, version of Troy Andersen.  These are the type of guys that I've been wanting the Steelers to draft ever since Shazier got hurt.  With Shazier, initially I was like 6'1" 235 or w/e he was, that's a bit small.  But, 4.37 or w/e, is pretty dynamic.  He quickly became arguably my favorite player.  When he got hurt, the Steelers have sucked at ILB, and have ever since.  Hopefully this offseason changes that!  Hopefully his knees aren't an issue and he can be a stud for the next decade for us, or at least 6+ years till he's in his 30s.  Love this pick!

Payton Wilson had 18 TFL last year.  That is very Shazier like.  He is going to be very much like Shazier but with the benefit of playing Mike vs Shazir played WLB in college.  So i expect that the light will go on quicker for Wilson.  Downside is that the Steelers do not have Dts to keep him clean.

• Like 2

sounds like this dude would've been a top 50 pick if he was a yr or two younger and better health history... looking forward to seeing how he looks in preseason...seems like the type to stick out in August 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Really good and detailed write up on Wilson's injury history. Draw your own conclusions but this dude is TOUGH. 

Entrance Physical: LB Payton Wilson - Steelers Depot

Yeah I have been watching him for a couple seasons now, as much as I can since NC State isn't on that much here, after reading up on him.  He sounded like a steal, when he was projected late, but I saw the height and speed and was interested in a late round gem.  Then he stayed healthy and here we are, talking about him as a steal in late 3.  I was aware of most of those injuries, but didn't know the part about the kinda radical shoulder surgery that I've never heard of before.  Sounds like he's tough as nails, and maybe needs to let up just a bit lol.  Hopefully those hard hits don't undo that shoulder modification he had done.  I think this guy has a REALLY good chance at being my favorite Steeler very soon.  He checks every single box for me.  

1 hour ago, August4th said:

sounds like this dude would've been a top 50 pick if he was a yr or two younger and better health history... looking forward to seeing how he looks in preseason...seems like the type to stick out in August 

Seems like if he was younger and healthier, he would've been a top 20 pick, if not top 10.  Lets hope he stays healthy now!

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Luke's being extra generous but....

Luke is the best ILB I've ever seen, by a mile.  No one else even in the conversation for me.  Too bad he had all those concussions.  If we can get a faster version of him?  I'm all in!  lol  

If Payton stays healthy in his first few seasons, how much playing time do you see him getting?  Don't we typically run with the 2 ILB formation around 25% of the time?  

I am a big Payton Wilson fan but I dont know how much playing time he gets over Patrick Queen?  Would that amount of playing time warrant utilizing a 3rd rounder?

After thinking the draft over and over, I might have chosen the same three guys, the Steelers did in the first 3 picks, chosen Troy Franklin with our 3B selection, and hope Wilson would be around 21 picks later.  

33 minutes ago, DR43 said:

If Payton stays healthy in his first few seasons, how much playing time do you see him getting?  Don't we typically run with the 2 ILB formation around 25% of the time?  

I am a big Payton Wilson fan but I dont know how much playing time he gets over Patrick Queen?  Would that amount of playing time warrant utilizing a 3rd rounder?

After thinking the draft over and over, I might have chosen the same three guys, the Steelers did in the first 3 picks, chosen Troy Franklin with our 3B selection, and hope Wilson would be around 21 picks later.  

I think he’ll be a pretty important contributor. It seemed like Kwon Alexander was getting a good amount of snaps even when we were totally heathy. Even if he does only play 25-30% of the snaps but in those snaps he’s very productive does it matter how many he’s getting? Thats a giant run-on sentence lol

I think he’s going to be really productive in his limited snaps. If he’s helping us win games, I think he’s very much worth the pick. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think he’ll be a pretty important contributor. It seemed like Kwon Alexander was getting a good amount of snaps even when we were totally heathy. Even if he does only play 25-30% of the snaps but in those snaps he’s very productive does it matter how many he’s getting? Thats a giant run-on sentence lol

I think he’s going to be really productive in his limited snaps. If he’s helping us win games, I think he’s very much worth the pick. 

Would you feel that in the 25-30% snaps Wilson would be more productive than Troy Franklin would have been in, like, 75% snaps?

9 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Would you feel that in the 25-30% snaps Wilson would be more productive than Troy Franklin would have been in, like, 75% snaps?

I’m not a big Franklin fan. I think it’s entirely possible that Wilson might have a bigger impact on winning games than Franklin would with 75%. 

59 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Yes because 1 - I don’t think Franklin would get 75% of snaps and 2 - Franklin is a 1 trick pony.

16 hours ago, DR43 said:

I could be wrong, but I think he would see the field WITH Queen a decent bit. My understanding is that both should be good in coverage and sufficient in run stopping given that it's a passing league. We need the big guys up front to keep them generally clean, but they could be a good duo.

• Like 2