Day 3 Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

Ragnarok

13 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Ainias Smith over Malik is crazy to me. 

I don't think it's crazy at all.  Between the shrimps (Ainias/Cowing/Malik) i'd say the bigger misstep is Cowing over Ainias.

Malik is at the tail of of that group for me.  He's more of just a conventional slot receiver...but tiny.  I don't really know the upside of that, even though he's darn good at what he does.

Cowing has a different level of explosiveness.

Ainias Smith though has superstar potential imo.  He might not hit it, but he has the potential to be that guy that the entire league looks back at and asks, "why didn't we draft this guy earlier?"  He's small, but he's got terrific hands and surprising catch radius, he's fiercely competitive and way more physical than his size suggests.  He's also miles better than Malik especially, at positioning himself to break that first tackle and take off.  He just has a completely special seeming feel for space and angles, to go with his more explosive speed and bonkers change of direction ability.  He's one of my biggest draft crushes though.  Feels like a pocket size Deebo to me in so many ways.

Malik just feels like...a very small slot receiver.  Those types are pretty out of vogue these days, because they just don't really have as much of a competitive advantage now that teams are just running really athletic nickel DBs and 3rd Safeties inside by default.

13 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I mean to be fair i told everyone that would listen that CB wasn't that big of a need this entire offseason.  You can check many of mock drafts where i was arguing against a CB in round 1 and 2 for us.   But on the other end i also said SS was a need for us and said 3-4DE/4-3DT wasn't a need at all for us.    Well we didn't take any SS's and already took 2  3-4 edges. So  WTF do i know about my team at all.  

Our 3-4 edge / 4-3 DT group  
Grady Jarrett
David Onyemata
Zach Harrison
Kentavius Street
Ta'quan Graham
Ruke Ohrrorroro
Brandon Doralus
Lacale London
Eddie Goldman - NT
Callaias Campbell - Supposedly has a contract offer according to raheem morris if he wants to take it

Thats a boat load of talent for 1 position

That's such a weird way to break things down.  Like...a 3-4DE isn't an "Edge" player in that scheme.  An OLB is.

Dorlus is a "tweener" in the sense that he should probably be a DE but he's not really natural there and they moved him inside a bunch...but he's got very few real "edge" traits.  Especially in a more traditional 3-4 as a OLB.  That'd be a surprising way to use him, to say the least.  And Ruke is a straight up DT/DE Interior DLineman, whatever the scheme.

I'd assume they have some sort of plan or purpose in mind for Ruke.  Dorlus is just a Day3 project.  But it still feels like something that wasn't altogether addressed.  They may be overconfident in how some of their personnel will translate to a new scheme?

13 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Rams theme of the draft appears to be motor. That said, he's gonna make his early bones as a run-defender, but the Rams are the same team that took a similar (if smaller than Jackson) college edge with perceived limited athleticism in Ernest Jones and turned him into a standout standup LB. 

Honestly, i think Brennan Jackson could surprise in how effective he is as a pass rusher.  While also having that high motor and rock solid run defending integrity.  He seems like a similar prospect to Trice to me, who went way earlier from the other Washington...and is a way less compelling pass rusher as far as translatable ability for me.

There's a bit of Brennan Jackson that reminds me a lot of Sam Hubbard.  I don't like Jackson quite as much...but there's a ton of similarities there, and Hubbard has turned into a darn solid Pro.  Who isn't going to light it up, but does still offer solid contribution to the pass rushing effort.

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Absolutely love Tracy. #5 RB in this class for me. 

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out between Shipley/Tracy/Keilan Robinson/Laube.  As far as those sort of "hybrid RB/WR backs".  A lot of it will probably just come down to landing spot and how got a team/scheme is at using them effectively tbh.

12 hours ago, bomont said:

And draft analysts should be banned from using the word "twitchy" to describe a player. So overused

Why though?  It's a super accurate and important descriptor for a lot of players and what they have, or what they lack.  Quick/Slow twitch muscle composition is a big part of the whole thing.  

11 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Got a steal in Wingo

I was laughing as the Jaguars selected the entire LSU DLine...except for the guy that stood out the most to me, in Wingo.  But he's stumpy so he's off the board.  🙄

There's a decent chance that Wingo ends up being the guy that teams are kicking themselves over passing on in a couple years when he continues to just be a deadly penetrating disruptive presence on an NFL DLine.

10 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Soooo did Jerry's boy get caught smoking crack?? I get he wasn't a 1st rounder but I thought he'd been gone by now 🧐 

No crack.  He's just kinda lethargic, plodding, predictable, and robotic about everything and his hands are totally hit or miss.  Being the son of a great only goes so far.

10 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I’ve never seen the show QB1, but I’m pretty sure it’s my new favorite show. So dumb that NFL teams were dropping Rattler down their boards because he was immature as a 17 year old. Still can’t believe we got him so late in the draft l.

I think it goes much deeper than just some dumb show he did in High School.  That's scratching the surface of the issue.

But it's scratching at the core issue...which is that, his attitude, demeanor, character in general have just rubbed too many teams the wrong way.  And he didn't do enough to turn back that tide.  Teams have shown time and again that it's one thing if a prospect has some mistakes...but convincingly goes back on them and changes significantly as a person.  With Rattler...it seems pretty clear that while he was obviously "humbled" by his situation...he's still fundamentally the same cocky kid on some level that bleeds through serious interviews.  That's not what teams want at the QB position especially.

• Like 1